It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM Over-selling Obama like a Product

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am just wondering if others are getting just alittle tired of the extreme MSM pandering to and of, Senator Obama. Jon Stewart on The Daily Show does a great job skewering the media and what would best be described as a Obamobcession. It is just plain goofy like "...Senator Obama wore a symbolic blue and white tie in Israel today" or "Senator Obama rubbed his ear during a speech". He's a rock star to the supposed mature and unbiased media people and not to me. It's at a point I find frightening and let me tell everyone why.
Every time I hear on the news Sen. Obama, the "presumptive candidate" or Sen. McCain, the "presumptive candidate", I literally flinch. As I understand the process today, both candidates have delegates exclusively theirs and theirs alone. So what's with the "presumptive" stuff unless the MSM knows something us peons don't know.
Is there a planned surprise? Will one of them be forced to step down from their candidacy over a scandal or God know what? Right now, both conventions are "coronations" of a sort, speeches, posturing; the usual. I've got to endure the DNC as I live in Denver and just keep hoping that it is totally peaceful.
So this post is to get any feedback from this esteemed audience of intelligent people (and maybe a few spies). Will someone please put this into a perspective that I can understand?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barbs46
I am just wondering if others are getting just alittle tired of the extreme MSM pandering to and of, Senator Obama. Jon Stewart on The Daily Show does a great job skewering the media and what would best be described as a Obamobcession.

Well, the Daily Show isn't main stream media, it's satire. If you're getting your news from The Daily Show, bless your heart, it's a funny show, but... It's not the news.

Originally posted by Barbs46
He's a rock star to the supposed mature and unbiased media people and not to me. It's at a point I find frightening and let me tell everyone why.
Every time I hear on the news Sen. Obama, the "presumptive candidate" or Sen. McCain, the "presumptive candidate", I literally flinch. As I understand the process today, both candidates have delegates exclusively theirs and theirs alone. So what's with the "presumptive" stuff unless the MSM knows something us peons don't know.
Is there a planned surprise? Will one of them be forced to step down from their candidacy over a scandal or God know what? Right now, both conventions are "coronations" of a sort, speeches, posturing; the usual. I've got to endure the DNC as I live in Denver and just keep hoping that it is totally peaceful.
So this post is to get any feedback from this esteemed audience of intelligent people (and maybe a few spies). Will someone please put this into a perspective that I can understand?

They call them presumptive nominee's simply because it isn't official until the conventions. As much as i'd like to see it, Ron Paul isn't going to suddenly steal the nomination away. The DNC and RNC actually have rules in place against this, that only a certain amount of delegates can actually switched. They can switch around and support other candidates, but the nominee who wins the delegates from the votes MUST receive at least roughly the same amount at the convention. It's a formality.

I think the media has really changed as technology has become more advanced. Television is different now, print news is nearly dead and the internet is huge now. There are FAR more people out there who are capable of just starting a blog and putting down their thoughts. Hell, I have two blogs. On one of them i named the top six teams Brett Favre might go to. Someone in Bismarck, ND spent 2 whole minutes reading that article i typed up.

My point is, i'm not a journalist. But this guy in Bismark, ND is reading what *I* think and for all he knows, i am a journalist. There's something about reading a story. And somewhere between "then" and "now," the media has needed to adapt to the changing environment, to compete.

You don't get to watch the news anymore, now that Tim Russert is gone. Meet the Press is still going to be as unbiased as always, but don't for one second thing Sean Hannity or Keith Olberman are news casters. They'll tell you themselves, they have an OPINION show. They can say or support whomever they want, they don't have to worry about ethics. They're not real journalists. They're as good at bloggers.

join