It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are walking talking television sets.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oh come on people... sure maybe I was trolling... but now I'm feeling kind of bad, I think we all got off on the wrong foot here.

Not...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Putting aside the broad generalizations that the OP made

I would have to say I SOMEWHAT agree with the OP... If there was less American Idol, soap operas, and empty news casts then maybe the majority of the people in this country would start paying attention to politics...

While TV is not necessarily a bad thing, when its filled with pointless crap then it is a very bad thing.

Dont get me wrong, there's always room for mind numbing entertainment... but its getting to the point where thats all there is...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueHusslin

The reason these people are accusing you of being wrong... the reason that these people are accusing you of making a grand generalization of this country... is because deep down they know that you're right and they don't want to admit how much TV they actually watch. And yes, television is bad, it's worse than internet, or books for that matter. When you're watching television you're pretty much staring at a blank screen... when you're on the internet you can communicate with other human beings and those that say books are just as bad as television probably don't read them.

See? All these people who are disagreeing with you because they think you're wrong who show no evidence to contradict your statement are just in denial. I am plenty aware of how much influence television has over people in this country. I find it scary. When Americans watch television they are desensitizing themselves to all the violence they see on television and also not to mention those that are heavy television watchers probably think that the world is a more violent place than it actually is.

So many minds here have been conditioned in one way or another by television. They can't do without television. It's like a drug. The population has been drugged by this box sitting in their living rooms.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Thank you for that great post, you showed maturity and honesty... because of you sir I don't feel like a jerk anymore.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
First if I was one that made you feel like a jerk my appologies, as I did not intend to do so.

However when making statements like this:

Originally posted by TrueHusslin
The entire United States is one big militarized zombie with a T.V. firmly planted in its arse. The average Americans entire personality is based upon something which it had seen on it's television set... most Americans have never even had a chance at having real personality, and if you ask them they'll just lie like Pinocchio. "Am I a real personality daddy? Sure son just shut up and watch some Friends. "

You should expect such a response , since it IS a broad generalization, despite what others may say. Is there a problem in the US with people who watch to much TV? Yes there is, however to make a statement saying that we're all militarized zombies, or that we dont have real personalities is, to me at least a ridiculous statement, and is highly offensive to those of us working to make ourselves and this country a better place(we know... it needs a lot)

Just keep in mind that not ALL of us are mindless drones, and at least with me, there won't be any issues

just my 2 cents...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

What?
You don't watch TV?
How exactly can you support your argument then?
If you've never sampled our visual tripe, where is your "wisdom" coming from?

Good 'burn', SD.

But can we just stop for a second?

We are here as brothers and sisters, pretty much a world community and some people would like to deny or destroy or mock this by bringing ethnocentrism and nationalities back into it?

I have "friends" all over the world as a result of the 'Net, from Denmark to NZ to Australia to Japan, to South America. They are good people and my e-buddies, a few of whom I've met.

I don't see the point, except maybe for a little self examination.

Also, who has time to look at the behavior of others that much. Why are we not busy looking in the mirror and at ourselves and our own behavior?

Someone asked me this in another forum and, generally, I'm pretty much busy being me. Call me self-absorbed.

Hear what the OP is saying but after the initial assault, I don't see why we need to be attack-dogs. I'd like to promote the idea of e-brotherhood.

Just sayin'...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Original_Sin

Feeding the Troll was the only prupose to the response. And why do I assume he/she is British? Call it a gut feeling developed over many years of watching too much television. Or maybe it was the reference to the arse. You see in America, we keep our televisions in our a$$es.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

By calling him a troll you're only proving my point. Seriously all of you are acting like little kids. If you're going to disagree with the OP at least be reasonable. Don't assume the OP is jealous of your life-style of overdosing on television consumption!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
For the record;

Me E-peni is by far the largest.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster
reply to post by Original_Sin

Feeding the Troll was the only prupose to the response. And why do I assume he/she is British? Call it a gut feeling developed over many years of watching too much television. Or maybe it was the reference to the arse. You see in America, we keep our televisions in our a$$es.

Oh, it's a gut feeling, okay

And "Arse" is used by more people than just the British, Australia for example.

Nevertheless, you're probably accurate with your assumption. I was just asking how you think you know.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Apparently Mike Rowe wanted to help the US Military develope a talking television.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Let me start off by saying I work nights. I don't watch television, haven't for years - never got into the habit with my schedule. I have on occasion attempted to watch it on days off, with friends and family, etc. Let me say - I don't get it. The shows are horrible - predictable, silly and down right boring. I can't stand sitting waiting for some perceived issue to be played out on your typical sitcom. Thats why I can't believe that TV has the popularity it does with the American society. Why are people so interested in it?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Because Americans are stupid Rabbits... they can't foresee the inevitable event in a sitcom because they lack the binary wiring in their water logged skulls. It's also because Americans are constantly being poisoned by their own government for population control purposes. Modified Corn, Fluoride in the water, Cemtrails, so on and so forth...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Be honest now, do you think Europeans are any different? The English are allowing cameras to be mounted all over the place, their even allowing their country to be absorbed into a superstate. Meanwhile, Australians, as a whole allow protesters to be attacked with truck mounted water cannons. Stupidity is everywhere.

I think you have it wrong, humans are stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join