It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain: The second coming of the Messiah??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There's been so much wild speculation from the right-wing blogs, radio, TV broadcasts that say "Liberal democrats" think Barack Obama is the messiah.

Let me put this in a nutshell.

I have never seen nor heard one single Obama supporter treat or act like Obama is anything perfect, holy, or spiritual. They treat him with adoration because of the change in political mindset he offers our country.

That being said: What technically defines "idolization" of a symbolic messiah, the likes of which the right wingers blast people like me for?

From my vantage point i see more worship of George W. Bush from most neocon activists in all forms of media today.

Lets look at the most central point in the conservative mind set in today's political word: Rush Limbaugh

On today's show, while i was traveling for a meeting, i heard Rush Limbaugh try to draw a comparison with George W. Bush and Batman.

If only that were all there was to laugh about, lets see what exactly he was talking about:

this all comes from This source

What Bush and Batman Have in Common -- A cry for help goes out from a city beleaguered by violence and fear: A beam of light flashed into the night sky, the dark symbol of a bat projected onto the surface of the racing clouds . . . Oh, wait a minute. That's not a bat, actually. In fact, when you trace the outline with your finger, it looks kind of like . . . a 'W.' ...

lets see. A flash of light. A cry for help. Violence and fear.
Sounds savior'esque to me so far....

I really like the part where the W is reminiscent of the Bat Symbol. Made me giggle.

"There seems to me no question that the Batman film 'The Dark Knight,' currently breaking every box office record in history, is at some level a paean of praise to the fortitude and moral courage that has been shown by George W. Bush in this time of terror and war," and here's Brian from Battle Creek, Michigan who got it and wanted to call and tell us about it

Since Mr. Limbaugh is unaware, i have sent him an email about this passage, letting him know that Batman first appeared in 1939. Which is 69 years before the release of this film. The classic battle of batman vs. Joker is almost as old as the comic its self.

So how can a movie, based off of a more than 60 year old plot line, be created on blind adoration of a modern day president? A "paean of praise"

you "praise" a messiah. you adore a (wo)man.

"Like W, Batman is vilified and despised for confronting terrorists in the only terms they understand. Like W, Batman sometimes has to push the boundaries of civil rights to deal with an emergency, certain that he will re-establish those boundaries when the emergency is past. And like W, Batman understands that there is no moral equivalence between a free society ... and a criminal sect bent on destruction. The former must be cherished even in its moments of folly; the latter must be hounded to the gates of Hell.

George W. Bush is not vilified for confronting terrorists. Remember Afghanistan? I do. What happened to that? That was the forefront on the war on terror. Why doesn't it exist anymore, and everything is taking place in Iraq?

Certainly there are terrorists in Iraq. Nobody denies that (that i know of) but there are also terrorists in Great Britain, the United States, Pakistan, Yugoslavia, Belgium, Barbados, Bosnia, Brazil, Croatia, El Salvador, Chile, China, and Columbia (just to name a few)

So why aren't we fighting terrorism there as well?
If this is an exercise in the exorcism of evil, certainly attacking a non-central figure of terrorist ideals and thought can't have any more impact than a BB-Gun on a freight train? Speaking in the "over-all" sense of course.

if you want to draw a comparative note between George Bush and Batman, you would have to speak in a hypothetical scenario.

Lets say that the Joker attacked batman and his mansion. Batman hunts down the Joker, slaps him across the face with his bat-glove, and then runs off and beats the hell out of a bunch of mental patients at Arkham Asylum, saying it was in defense of himself and the mansion, because the Joker is known to hang out with the wacko's at Arkham.

If that were the case, then I'd be posting a different thread, however; conjecture and reality are not synonyms.

Like W, Batman sometimes has to push the boundaries of civil rights to deal with an emergency, certain that he will re-establish those boundaries when the emergency is past. And like W, Batman understands that there is no moral equivalence between a free society ... and a criminal sect bent on destruction. The former must be cherished even in its moments of folly; the latter must be hounded to the gates of Hell.

This is a reprint of above, but i post it again for ease of reference.

Push the boundaries must be code for breaking wide open. When you are fighting an ideal (Islamic extremist) you will never "end the emergency" the ideal will spread out of pure loathing of our great Country (the U.S.) and will continue to spread like an out of control wild fire.

As much as firefighters try, they simply cannot extingish a wild fire, it has to burn out on its own. Now - true - firefighters try to protect towns and villages in the path of the fire, but ultimately, where the fire wants to go, it will spread.

That is not implication that you should not fight the fire, but it is implication that you cannot set a "date" of which the "emergency" will be over. Therefore negating the statement that the boundaries of our freedoms being taken will ever come to an end. Infact, i find it quite the opposite. Once you feel safe again - why give back the freedoms? So more people can choose to not exploit them? Im confused.

Tony Blair loves Bush. Sarkozy loves Bush. Angela Merkel loves Bush. The Pope loves Bush. None of what is said about Bush is true, and he doesn't refute it -- which is, I think, why his opinion numbers are so low because he doesn't defend himself. It's not because he's hated.

Loves? Or Caters to, much like we've all had to be nice to the annoying uncle or cousin at the family reuinion.

But regardless, evidently, Americans don't love him at all. Apparently, a lot of republicans don't as well, unless of course, Republicans only make up about 20% of the United States....and if that were the case, how is it that a republican could ever get elected over a democrat?

All of this blind support for a war in a country that we never set out to invade is simply the beginning of the worship of George W. Bush by some of the right wingers in today's Political America. There are many more, but character limits prohibit me from sharing them all, in favor of a conclusion.

Bush says we should attack Iraq because of WMD's. Then it became liberation. Then it became "because we can't leave yet" and now its something along the lines of "we have to fight terrorism!!!" with talks of Iran in the future? Possibly?

So we went in, found not a single WMD (i mean, come on! Atleast plant them for God sakes, so its not so obvious that Bush is a dumb *snip* !!!)
and after the fact, what do we hear from the right wingers?

"Oh well"
and

The mission was necessary, achievable and noble. For his determination to undertake it, and for his unflagging resolve to see it through to a just end, Bush deserves not only our support, but our admiration.

We are safer than we were on 9/11, but we're not yet safe. We are still closer to the beginning than the end of this fight. We need a leader with the experience to make the tough decisions and the resolve to stick with them; a leader who will keep us moving forward even if it is easier to rest.
- John McCain

We are safer? I could be wrong, but i think the man responsible for the attack on 9/11 was Osama Bin Laden. Isnt he still out there? What did Iraq ever do to us when compared to OBL? And what mission? The moving goal post mission? Move the goal so when we're done, we can claim "mission accomplished"......wait....... That has already happened

So....why are we still there?

And what does all of this have to do with John McCain?

The fact that he is the mirror image of George W. Bush. The fact that he has used a maverick label to get media attention, in order to secure the republican nomination for president, and once secured, completely flopped on every issue, in favor of George W. Bush.

In fact, i believe this says it all:

....honestly.

So if George W. Bush is idolized LIKE a messiah, and McBush is the same thing as W. Bush, then you can see how one could make the assumption that McCain would be the second coming of the "messiah" as it were.

Comments?

[edit on 7/25/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The first "messiah" will be the counterfeit one. The true Messiah will arrive 7 years later to destroy the first.

If either one of these men is the "messiah", they will be the antichrist.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

I have never seen nor heard one single Obama supporter treat or act like Obama is anything perfect, holy, or spiritual. They treat him with adoration because of the change in political mindset he offers our country.

I only read part of your thread. As soon as you started comparing the Messiah and Batman....well my head started spinning.

Ever heard of Spike Lee? I made a thread about his messianic reference.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

uk.reuters.com...

"It's going to be before Obama, 'B.B.,' and after Obama -- 'A.B.' -- and some folks need to get used to this," Lee said. "And I'm going to be at the inauguration -- getting my hotel reservation now."

So I guess you can't say you haven't heard of any Obama supporter treating Obama like the messiah.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

I only read part of your thread. As soon as you started comparing the Messiah and Batman....well my head started spinning.

actually - the mantlepiece of the conservative voice (rush limbaugh) was doing that comparison

but i like that, once again, you didtn read it all, but decided to comment on it, knowing only about 1/4 of what was actually said.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Thank you for your work and analysis. I too saw that blurb on Rush's site, since I frequent there for another perspective--albeit, demented. Rush has got some serious problems. I like to think he is either a space-alien hell-bent on world domination, or he started bold-faced lying years ago becuase it made him money...I am leaning towards the latter.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

How very dense of you. There have been countless examples of the media and his supporters equating him to the messiah.

How about Slate's "Messiah Watch"?

www.slate.com...

Obama, D.C.The Obama Messiah Watch, part 3.
By Timothy Noah
Posted Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007, at 5:32 PM ET

Is Barack Obama the Light of the World? To answer this question, Slate has been gathering gratuitously adoring

How about this rolling stone cover?

How about the German from yesterday saying "Obama is my new messiah"

scogginfamily.newsvine.com...

If you watched the ABC evening news with Charles Gibson (24 July), a German man tells a reporter that Obama is "my new messiah". A statement that has not gone unnoticed by viewers;

How about Chris Mathews talking about Obama "taking us to a new place in these biblical times"?

Starts around 1:41

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The GOP must be ready with a story to demystify Obama, and John will demystify himself by dropping out, due to a "health" issue (forced out) and a New Gery Ford will step in and be the real new white house messiah!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

Yep. There are examples of it everywhere. The fact that his supporters also dismiss anything that does not paint Obama in the best light possible is, in a way, evidence as well. He's absolutely perfect in their eyes, which itself implies that their view of the man is a little...off.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Andrew - listen more carefully next time - Rush may have been relaying a story but the source is
Wall Street Journal article
I am so glad that you do listen to Rush though - there may be hope for you yet.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Oh for crying out loud that is not what he is saying or suggesting at all... I swear these funnymentalists are so bleeding literal.

I am glad you posted this and a star for you... given some of the nonsense I have not only seen posted here, but heard in person... you are right on the money.

In 2004 this woman told me that Jesus would be a card carrying Republican conservative and voting for bush minor... with a straight face no less.

No us liberals, progressives and Democrats do not, let me reiterate, do not think of Obama as a messiah, god figure or any other such bullhooey... we know good and well he is nothing more than a politician... most of us (outside the black community) aren't even voting for him because of his race... we are voting for him because we believe that this nation is in serious need of change and of the candidates put forward this cycle, he seems (note seems) to offer the best chance. We are probably wrong, but a vote for McCain is a vote for the same old crap.

A star for you.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JustTheFacts

I never said otherwise, now did i?

no? Thought so.

I said it was on rush's show, and i provided the TRANSCRIPT for it (if you care to go back and read it )

And i listen to Rush's show because i need to listen to something.

"liberal" news isnt my cup of tea, because i am not a liberal just because i support someone who is not George W. Bush. (mccain)

conservative news keeps me entertained, and sometimes provides me with content for the boards

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I've seen several examples so far of Obama supporters comparing him to a messiah.

Spike Lee thinks we should change our timeline from BC to BB and AD to AB. The last man we did that for was Jesus Christ.

Kudos to Dronetek for pointing out some others!

There are so many examples of Obama worship. Just because someone doesn't come out and say "messiah" does mean they don't think it.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I guess you're right about Spike Lee.

Always thought he was an idiot anyways (though i loved "do the right thing")

anyways

Spike Lee isnt supporting Obama for his stances on issues or his political past (like a lot of us do) he's supporting him for his Skin Color.

Spike Lee makes it very obvious that he dont like "white people"

even a blind man could see that.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'm not really sure what's going on these days, but I do enjoy reading all the commentary and links people provide on here. I love ATS!

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure the link below would be considered "on-topic," of this Messiah business, but I thought I'd throw this out there for you all to read.

David Wilcock, who has been termed the "reincarnation" of Edgar Cayce, posted some stuff on his website not long ago, that he thinks that Obama is NOT ruled by the power elite, and that's why they want to crush him with stories of homosexuality, etc.

Personally I like Ron Paul, but doubt he'll make it, because elections seem to be all rigged. Not a big fan of Obama.

All his hype on "change" may be a total crock. Too many candidates in the past have promised this or that, but once they got into office, things take a different turn.

Anyway, here's the link. It's rather long to read so I won't bother to copy/paste it here.

David Wilcock - The Power Elite Do Not Control Obama

I'm interested to see what people this of this Wilcock blog entry. He quotes TBR news a lot for some reason. Do you really think there's a a Whitehouse "insider" that is able to put such information out to the public? Or is it just a bunch of bull?

top topics

join