It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had known Obama would get the Nomination...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I feel as though there were many reasons why Mccain got the nomination instead of the other options available; That is to say , vs. other republicans.

One of the central views I hold is that it was because Hillary seemed to be the most likely candidate, that all efforts were placed on her, and Mccain won that match-up the best. However, Now we see that his age, vs. Barrack's, and his, ahem, eloquence is also lacking.

So let's go back 6 mos. or so. If you are a republican, or republican leaning voter, who do you pick?

PLEASE; Do NOT say Ron Paul, as there is the same problems in him that I listed above. We would all love him more I think, but I was referring to any other option. Unless of course, you can show how Paul trumps Obama in those two categories...

SO who would you rather have run than Mccain?

I think Huckabee would have been interesting to say the least, as he was open to new ideas, and he was quick on his feet....

[edit on 25-7-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You know, as an Obama Supported, I really expected Huckabee in the end.

I still for the life of me can't figure out how McCain got the nomination.

Not that I think he didn't deserve it, just that there were so many conservative voices who didn't like him... Still he got the nomination!

I have to say though, that to attempt to pick a nominee based on who is runnin in the opposition is rather defeatist. Most people don't vote for a party, they vote for a candidate. So if you want to win, regardless of who is runnin on the opposition put the best candidate forward...

We did.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Well, I wouldn't put it past the media to have selected whom they wanted, not to mention that America loves it's under-dogs.

I still can't figure out how Mccain got it either, but mostly due to his age. (being honest) I thought that youth would have been key here....

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

No one knows how McCain got nomination, but i do remember when it was only Obama or Clinton vs McCain or Ron Paul. That's when i thought oh well Ron Paul got this, and bang I hear that McCain is republican nominee.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
I still for the life of me can't figure out how McCain got the nomination.

Not that I think he didn't deserve it, just that there were so many conservative voices who didn't like him... Still he got the nomination!

You got that right!
You're not the only one wondering about that, too!!

Originally posted by Quazga
I have to say though, that to attempt to pick a nominee based on who is runnin in the opposition is rather defeatist. Most people don't vote for a party, they vote for a candidate. So if you want to win, regardless of who is runnin on the opposition put the best candidate forward...

We did.

Best candidate? I wouldn't go that far. I'm still wondering how Obama and McCain were picked. I'm sure we have someone better than both of these ass-hats to run for President.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

My first choice would still be the same as it was at the time: Fred Thompson. McCain and Huckabee were tied for 2nd. Truth be told, the Republicans simply did not have a particularly strong candidate in the field this year. That's my theory on why McCain won. He had the fewest negatives.

Then again, in the current political environment that is so biased against Republicans, one of two things (or a little of both) must be true: 1) Either McCain is an extremely strong candidate to be running within the margin of error against Obama, or 2) Obama is a surprisingly weak candidate that is allowing McCain to compete in a race that the Dems should be winning very easily.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I dunno if it's just me but i really like Romeny, he seems like he knows how to fix what Bush screwed up in Iraq and at the same time get a firm grip on our slipping economy. I don't know too much about Fred Thompson so i can't say him, but i honestly think the Republican candidates were rigged somewhat to get McCain as the nominee. Here's my theory, Romney, being LDS, already has alot of people liking (and hating him) for it. How do you get him out of the picture? Another cadidate with his heart in religion, Huckabee, he sucked SOO much votes from Romeny imo. MSM made Ron Paul look like a wacky billionaire wanting to waste money and Thompson like a bored actor. Leaving McCain looking like the only normal and reasonable candidate by the MSM. But that's just me. I personally can't stomach seeing McCain in the White House, i saw him on Wolfe Blitzer today and suddenly find myslef hating him from his responses. Did anyone else catch this interview?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

I agree, but I guess that I was refering mostly to the art of the campaign at this point.

As far as the two majors go, we are only electing puppets who offer "change" within the NWO's margin of error.

I guess that I just see Obama being screwed by over exposure, as he is quite vacant anyway. But I think Mccain is one of the worst campaigners ever at this point...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

Huckabee was probably the cause of the whole mess. He never really had a shot at the nomination due to a lack of early funding, but he did manage to siphon away religious voters from Thompson and, to a certain extent, Romney. In the end, it weakened all three of the 'conservative' candidates while McCain was able to ride a unified moderate minority to victories.

As many Republicans said and are still saying, McCain is the luckiest politician of all time. He never should have won the nomination, but the right mix of opponents allowed it to happen. Likewise, he should have no chance of winning this election, but the Dems nominated a very polarizing candidate who can't break out of the 40s in what should be a Dem year and while McCain is certainly an underdog, all but the most strident Obama supporter realizes that this thing is going to go to the wire.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I voted for Huckabee in the primaries and really did expect him to get the nom. He won the Rep Primary in my state, however, the super delegates (or whomever) took his votes and gave them to McCain saying "We don't see him winning the nomination."

Yeah, I wasn't real happy about that and neither were many others.

Makes me wonder how many other states this happened in.

[edit on 25/7/08 by quaple_pouge]

new topics

top topics

join