It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MS Worldwide Telescope - Unknown objects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Messin around with the Worldwide Telescope, found this:

6h39m25s -13:25:30

I'm sure its some kinda glitch. Anyone have some insight?

[edit on 7/25/08 by Digital J]

[edit on 7/25/08 by Digital J]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Also, just found this one too...

I'm going to assume there are more, as I accidently stumbled on these. Granted these are more than likely a glitch, interesting none-the-less.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I believe it's part of the guts of the telescope. It certainly looks like it to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Looks like a satellite in the camera glare.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yeah these are surely reflection from the camera itself, as I'm finding them around bright objects...

I woulnt have even posted if I found these sooner, but oh well. The search continues...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hey, sharing information is the right approach.

I agree those are some kind of internal reflections inside the telescope.

It was certainly worth checking out though.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

part of the telescope? perhaps you could give an example please.

i saw these when wwt first came out, couldnt figure out what they were, tried searching the net, found nothing.

if you are going to say that its part of the tele.....maybe you could show us this has happened before. i see the reflection from one image above, but it doesnt look like the object in question, does it?

[edit on 25-7-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Very interesting! Cannot wait for the professionals to do analysis on this for you. They look like sattalites.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by antar]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

Indeed, I may have jumped the gun on a conclusion. I'm going to look into this and see if I can find any other examples or information on this phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well the first one looks like a picture of the inside of a reflector telescope.
The mirror in the center is held by an armature inside the telescope tube.

See the similarity?:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

it does look similar, but are you positive thats all it is?

i have little knowledge of this field other than being able to compare and contrast.

i do think his need to be looked into a little farther before writing it off though, got anything else?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It seems someone found the same exact image I found here:

Webpage

I've been noticing a few "mystery objects" while browsing around with WorldWide Telescope, most look like they're aircraft trails and similar things. The most unusual (well, the most attention-grabbing, for me) seems to be a bunch of these:

There was no reply that I had noticed on the site.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital J

maybe it is just reflection from the telescope, i do want to know for sure though. maybe someone with experience could tell us for sure?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
reply to post by Digital J

maybe it is just reflection from the telescope, i do want to know for sure though. maybe someone with experience could tell us for sure?

xmotex nailed it on the head. I get similar reflections of the baffle tube inside my schmidt-cassegrain telescope tube when trying to do deep sky imaging in fields containing a bright star. I got this one just late last year and found it had a nasty blue reflection line cutting right through the flame nebula:

farm4.static.flickr.com...

When moving the telescope the reflection moved the way a lens flare would, you can see how it appears "double" on the image because the tracking drifted a bit between exposures (most deep sky images are composed of many shorter shots averaged together over an hour or longer). Now my telescope does not have a spider vein like the newtonian pictured above, but that is what you are basically seeing in your mystery picture - it forms a plus sign of sorts inside a circle with whatever mirror or equipment is at the front of the tube. Amatuers like me usually just have a circular mirror at the front, resulting in donut shaped images. If you have a spider vein (again, my schmidt doesn't, but I used to have a newtonian that did) the donut will also have a cross in it like this:

www.heavensgloryobservatory.com...

If you have cameras and other stuff sitting at the front of the telescope, as many professional scopes do, then you'll see that too.

www.noao.edu...

[edit on 25-7-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree that the pics I've posted are reflection from the camera or whatever, but what the hell is this:

I've got a couple more I'll post in a few.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital J
I agree that the pics I've posted are reflection from the camera or whatever, but what the hell is this:

I've got a couple more I'll post in a few.

A plane. I see that kind of pattern all the time in long exposure astrophotography taken too close to an airport.

www.mts.net...
www.robertreeves.com...

[edit on 25-7-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
good information i must admit, thanks for the clarifacation. you learn something new everyday. good post's.

peace

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

You should try googling a little maybe. These are reflections from the inside of the tele. They are all over Googlesky also, which I love, but yeah...old news.

I believe that part of the telescope is called "the spider" because it resembles something...hmmmm.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Take a look at sirius star it looks like someone has cut the center out and done a bad job at that.

iv been wondering if you can spot planets around the stars sumhow.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A telescope I trust more than most things and if it's a mystery object, it makes sense that it would catch a Phenomena. People always say "oh, it the camera", even if its a shuttle image..or the series of SOHO images..it's always the device that gets attacked first..I know little re: telescopes other than I use one and have seen nothing like you show.Good luck with this ATS bunch of telescope experts!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join