It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Yeti hair" to get DNA analysis.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
"Scientists in the UK who have examined hairs claimed to belong to a yeti in India say that an initial series of tests have proved inconclusive.

Ape expert Ian Redmond says the hairs bear a "startling resemblance" to similar hairs collected by Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary.

He told the BBC the Indian hairs are "potentially very exciting".

After extensive microscope examinations, the hairs will now be sent to separate labs for DNA analysis. "

Full story here:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I've never been sure whether or not I believe in Sasquatch/Yeti etc, but I still get a little excited every time something like this comes up which could be solid evidence.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I think there must be a multitude of ´unknown´ or uncatalogued species on our planet, and by no means are they limited to deep sea trenches or cave systems. A discovery like sasquatch would do a great deal of good for the attitude people have toward cryptozoology and the research of subjects which have previously been ridiculed by science and the general public.

I hope it proves to be a new species, I really do.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I wonder what they will use it to. They can't compare it to anything, since it could be from a *insert species here* that hasnt have its genome decifered yet.

So basically, its pretty useless and they are probably just gonna compare it to the human and chimpanzee genomes at say "ZOMG!! Its 112% different!!1!one!! Its a yeti!!"..

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i saw something like this on discovery channel, they did that with the hairs and left it at its not human but its not animal

there was nothing conclusive as they dont have anything of Yeti to identify it as a yeti

you know, kinda like having an alien sample without knowing what aliens are made out of

it could just be an unexplained, kinda weird how when looking for answers it only brings up more questions

if the yeti does exist i think numbers are dying down and or practically extint

an animal of this type seems like itd be a curious creature and at some point in time make a step toward civilization and being discovered

there are just alot of loopholes for me to fully accept this creature as a modern day living being, maybe at one point in time but today?

im not sure

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This is what i wrote in the thread about the Bigfoot head in an Antique store;

Originally posted by Liamoville
Something similar sprung to mind when i read this.

I was watching a programme over here in the UK on Virgin1 called 'The Monster Hunter'. A guy named Josh Gates (i THINK, dont quote me) goes round different locations all over the world hunting things like Bigfoot, the Yeti, Nessie, some lake monster in Argentina etc etc.

This one particular episode was about hunting the Yeti in the Himalayas and they came across this group of monks high up in mountains who claimed to have a Yeti Scalp which they actually wore during ritual ceremonies. After alot of persuasian they allowed the camera crew access to it. It was actually really interesting, it was a fairly pointed scalp of some creature with small chunks of what looks like ginger/brown hair still attached. The monks claimed it was 400 years old but when the crew asked if they could have just one hair to test, the monks responded by saying "this is our yeti, we don't need anyone elses proof, we believe it", which sounds suspicious but when you consider this thing was bordering on a Religious artifact sealed in a box you can understand them. Would have been interesting though if someone could manage to get a sample of it.

EDIT: Spelling.

[edit on 24/7/08 by Liamoville]

It would be great if they could get the one i'm talking about tested aswell, see if theres any comparisons.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Liamoville

Star n Flag for the info

I saw Bigfoot 10 feet away for 5 sec. in Anchorage (blondish brown hair also). I personally know they are here.

There has been a few hair samples (at least 3 or 4 that I have read about) DNA tested, only to conclude with "an unknown species"

However, if all of these unknown hair samples are related to each other, then we have "something"

And now I fill go searching for the pic of the "head in the jar"

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
So what came of this DNA analysis? Since this thread was posted 2 years ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

The hairs ended up being that a goat lol
Expensive mistake huh?

I still stand by my post- get enough of the same "unidentified" DNA comparable samples and we have a start-

top topics

join