It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We judge people on their looks. ATS style

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Admit it, when you read a post by an unfamiliar user, you judge them on their looks. First you see the avatar, check for originality, quality of the design. Humor gets some bonus points, as does a "moving" image. A good avatar is like a pretty face, to all us shallow ATSers.

Then to the points and bars. The more points, the bigger the bar, shows how much more relevent they are.

The date of membership is like an aged wine. The older, the better. But I guess some of us are destined to be cork sniffers. *sigh*

Last is the classification. Mods are like your boss, you may want to tread lightly. William posting is Shakira, and Simon posting is Marilyn Monroe. A classic. Writers, and fighters are presumed to be talkative. Reporters gabby. Scholars are wise and experienced.

The signature is like a tattoo, it has to go with the type of person. An avatar of a fairy along with a sig that says KILLKILLKILL would unnerve quite a few.

Ahhh. ATS is like one big singles bar. And it looks like I'm going home to my girl, cinemax again.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I believe its neccessary for a newbie, its how i remembered who people were, "oh yeah, you have THAT avatar"

I don't do it as much now, i've learnt to respect other peoples opinions.

I generally judge on the persons grammar. Take note.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I like it Dreamstone.

Very interesting perspective on the whole situation. You certainly noticed some interesting simularities between the real world and this online "city".

Now, what happened to your face?
(just kidding)

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Indeed, ATS is like one singles bar, except your blindfolded. Names and avatars are not indicative of sex. Avatars often convey a lot of hidden meaning. My previous one was layed in The Word, yet not a single person caught on. My current one should tell you what kind of person I am...and if anyone's read my stories, it should remind you of a character. Words, symbols all fit into a person's avatar. it's an expression of self, and how one views themselves and how they choose to present themselves to the community. Look before you leap, children.

DE

link   
Oh gawd, I need an new avatar.

My bar is inadequately small and pale, and my point count is low.

I need a hug.

Peace,
BG

link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
Admit it, when you read a post by an unfamiliar user, you judge them on their looks. First you see the avatar, check for originality, quality of the design. Humor gets some bonus points, as does a "moving" image. A good avatar is like a pretty face, to all us shallow ATSers.
Then to the points and bars. The more points, the bigger the bar, shows how much more relevent they are.
The date of membership is like an aged wine. The older, the better. But I guess some of us are destined to be cork sniffers. *sigh*
Last is the classification. Mods are like your boss, you may want to tread lightly.

I don't, at least not all the time. First I read their post to check how well it is written and how easily they convey their point to us.

Only after this points come into play. I accept, the people with more points get more attention.

Avatar is like a distraction, to me, nothing more.

I rarely see when the registered.

link   
I don't agree. I do not consider the avatar (unless it's so obnoxious I have to deploy my official ATS DAS, but even then I just cloak it and read the post). I have NEVER looked at somebody's points, bar, or anything else.

I look at their thoughts. Then I dump them. lol!

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well... you can see my avataar...

Or you can see me...

Myself... I'd rather be judged on my postings. The Punisher movie doesn't seem as good as I thought it would (a Persian Gulf vet? Gaah... not 'psycho' enough)... and, well... nothing to great about me!

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by soothsayer]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm a bit new, though I've been reading this board, and have been involved in conspiracy related topics for a while now.

I got hit in the face with a frying pan. They used a staplers and super glue to make me whole. I look like a Van Gogh painting now. *cries*

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
very interesting, and i have to agree. i'm still a newbie basically though, but oh well. i try and have proper grammer, nerdling, but i'm too lazy to capitalize unless it's important.

and what about using the graphics Dreamstone? i use smileys and whatnot quite frequently.

as for my sig, i'm polish and i saw that and found it quite hilarious. (and true!)

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Honestly. I could care less for any of that. Someone's avatar, sig, date of membership and accumilated points mean jack to me.

The things that do bother me though are ego battles that sometimes occur. And the occasional person who thinks posting using enigmatic wording makes them intelligent.

Other than that, this is a very respectable board...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I judge you Valhall, or should I say FRED!

I tend to be shallow, I admit, its easy to judge on a sidebar rather than someones words.

BTW, I do place all importance on what a person says, but like I said.

But would you listen to financial advice from a hobo or a guy wearing oxford cloth and slacks? hmmm

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
interesting way to look to at it.

the only thing that turns me off from a post or thread is bad spelling...it is my biggest pet peeve.

and yes I notice and comment on avatars, but I don't give anyone more than anyone else when it comes to their posts. Points should be invisible, i could care less, how many points a person has. signatures I like, it let's the person share a bit of their personality with us.

but it basically comes down to some topics interests me and some don't.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ego battles can also feed into the avatar.

I remember that Colonel's sig said "Anne Coulter is a man"

And then Thomas Crowne's said "Anyone who thinks Anne Coulter is a man is an idiot"

See? Ego into art

Smilies lend to the writing more I think. Though an emotive person will probably use smilies more.

Hell, you can probably find out a lot about a person by their sidebar. Lets start with Lysergic...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I NEVER slap down on someones post count, date or points unless i'm either joking or they have brought it upon themselves.

You know the type of people i'm talking about

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I would say that I often associate members with their avatars, they are the most recognizable part of one's post, especially if you're just skimming a thread. Then again you always have a few members who like to change their avatars two or three times a day. Then you have others who have no avatar, no sig, just a gray box. Sig's can be pretty interesting. I'll usually read it if it's a simple quote or saying, but I rarely click on links in member's sig's.

I dont pay too much attention to points or registered date unless it's relevant to my mod duties.

As far as post content, I think there is little doubt that posts with good grammar and spelling get more attention and are taken more seriously.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I really don't judge anyone by anything...I have respect for people based on what they say, not how long they have been here or how many points they have, or if they are a mod. As long as the person can get their meaning across in the post without littering it with spelling and grammar errors, I will read it with just as much acceptance as anyone else's...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
I believe its neccessary for a newbie, its how i remembered who people were, "oh yeah, you have THAT avatar"

I don't do it as much now, i've learnt to respect other peoples opinions.

I generally judge on the persons grammar. Take note.

I agree. Poor grammar and spelling are a big turn off for me.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Definitely grammar is big for me. I find I can't take

people seriously or consider them a good source if

they don't have proper sentencing and spelling down

pat.

I don't mean to be a grammar nazi when I correct people I just feel the need to do it to let them know the "proper" way. Weird I know, just one of my quirks, I do it in everyday life too, i'm sure my husband is sick of it by now. Although I am getting better, i've calmed the ocd down a bit. Yay me!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well, many people thought that I was female for some reason. They kept saying Joanna instead of Jonna. Beats me!?!

I have to admit that there are certain individuals whom I do not even read their posts, but it has to do with the fact that they never write in proper sentences. I get fed up with bothering when I have to read a post several times just to understand what the hell they are talking about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join