It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNP stuns Labour in Glasgow East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

SNP stuns Labour in Glasgow East

news.bbc.co.uk

The Scottish National Party has pulled off a stunning by-election victory by winning Glasgow East, one of Labour's safest seats, by 365 votes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Labour are dead in the water, but the SNP? Those idiots who are trying to get Scotland out of the UK? Honestly, what would Scotland do without the handouts it gets from England?

No more free university education, no more free medication and no more initiatives to take business up north. They'd shaft themselves if they got "independant", so why are they voting for it?

Indoctrination.

"Those bloody Southerners..."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
If they go then the UK should stop all handouts to the Scottish. End of. And whats the point of calling it the UK?
United Kingdom my backside. Its no longer 'United' and no longer 'Great' Britain. Its just England now.
Forever England.
This green and pleasant land.
For now , but watch Scotland , Wales and Ireland close their borders, The England will suffer as well as it starts to fill with immigrants , and the good English taxpayers leave for 'greener' pastures in another country. The if the UK keeps giving handouts to Scotland you watch them benefits dry up.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Well...being an independant country has nothing to do with *handouts* the quicker we get out the better imo...tough time for first few years...but worth every second...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I disagree. Scotland won't survive without England; anyone that wants independence is either a Patriotic Fundamentalist or a nut-job that wants to pay even higher taxes and face possible unemployment and hardship for the best part of there lives.

No thanks, not for me. Why split from the UK? What possible good can it bring?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
I disagree. Scotland won't survive without England; anyone that wants independence is either a Patriotic Fundamentalist or a nut-job that wants to pay even higher taxes and face possible unemployment and hardship for the best part of there lives.

Well there we go...two insults already...pretty typical stance for those who want to remain in the uk...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

Well there we go...two insults already...pretty typical stance for those who want to remain in the uk...

Mate...where do you think Scotland is going to go? What are you planning to do, chisel Scotland away from England at about Hadrian's wall, and sail it off into the North Atlantic to create a Scottish paradise of haggis-eating, kilt-wearing Rab C Nesbitts?

We're one big island, and the southern part supports the northern part. Why can't the northern part just get on board with this?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
If the people of that area are unhappy with the current events, then its is there obligation and there duty to fix it. If that means: A) threatening the government in England of independence in order to achieve political wins, so be it. If it mean B.) achieving independence inorder to have the right to achieve freedom from percieved pass transgressions so be it. I personally would like to see scotland be free and independent. Just as I would like to see every state in the U.S.A be free and independant. Centralized goverment does have there perks, don't get me wrong, but I for one am willing to live without them, if that means I have greater freedoms. Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Centralised government is the ONLY way to maintain a secure and powerful nation. I love the idea of the US devolving into separate states. How amusing!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Mate...where do you think Scotland is going to go? What are you planning to do, chisel Scotland away from England at about Hadrian's wall, and sail it off into the North Atlantic to create a Scottish paradise of haggis-eating, kilt-wearing Rab C Nesbitts?

We're one big island, and the southern part supports the northern part. Why can't the northern part just get on board with this?

Think or say or believe what you like....the choice should be there as to whether or not we remain in the uk or become an independant country...the fact the choice sint there shows alot of arrogance imo..

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Think or say or believe what you like....the choice should be there as to whether or not we remain in the uk or become an independant country...the fact the choice sint there shows alot of arrogance imo..

It's not what I believe, it's the facts - Scotland earns money in billions, England earns money in TRILLIONS. You just aren't in the same league, you exist on handouts from us in the form of free education, free medicine and initiatives to drive business north.

This whole "well, we should have the right..." attitude - no, we should push you out of the UK for five minutes and let you come crawling, begging back. You don't even get that it is the Scots who are creating this us and them attitude, the English, Welsh and Northern Irish are quite happy to simply be British!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Haven't got a problem with that so long as ALL the Scots go back to Scotland when you get your independence

You guys make me laugh
Half your familys would not be here today if they didn't come down to England...LOL

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

It's not what I believe, it's the facts - Scotland earns money in billions, England earns money in TRILLIONS. You just aren't in the same league, you exist on handouts from us in the form of free education, free medicine and initiatives to drive business north.

This whole "well, we should have the right..." attitude - no, we should push you out of the UK you out of the UK for five minutes and let you come crawling, begging back. You don't even get that it is the Scots who are creating this us and them attitude, the English, Welsh and Northern Irish are quite happy to simply be British!

Deal! And we are not English Welsh or N Irish....soo...saying they are happy being British doesnt really mean anything...And Mr anonymous...as long as all the English go back to England!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
trying to be cute about it doesn't change the fact you don't know the ramifications of your suggestion.

new topics

top topics

join