It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about member status

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I've noticed that under some other user's names there are things like "writer" "fighter" etc. instead of "member".

How do you change this? Do you have to have a certain number of posts?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I think you become a writer when John Bull assigns you that for posting in collobrative fiction forum.

I am not sure about Figher.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
They're awarded for certain contests.

Writer: Writing in the collaborative fiction section
Fighter: Entering a debate tournament
Scholar: Entering a research team in the research forum
ATSNN Reporter: Ability to post news reports in atsnn on your own.
ATSNN Editor: Ability to post, edit and manipulate the ATSNN forums and structure.

Each of these is awarded to you when needed by a staff member.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
..what Nerdling said.

The staff member in charge of each of the respective forums is the one who can change your status.

Collaborative Fiction: John Bull 1
Research: ADVISOR
Debates: Me

The ATSNN titles are kind of a seperate thing and can not be requested. Reporter status is earned through consistent good news submissions.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
curiously looking over the member list for ATS and notice status. Some have the4 as their status. That caused wonder as to who these people are to rate such a unique status.

There are members called 1, 2, 3, 4 who have this status. I checked their posts to get a clue and found there was some sort of game in 2002 relating to these posters utilizing codes and cryptic messages.

I get to page six and find another member called 0 who also is listed with having the4 status.

Would someone do me the favor of clicking the profile link of member 0 on this page and tell me where it takes you? Thanks.

page six member list

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I can fight most people in a debate. I don't really want any rank as I'd rather take someone on one to one, but I have been curious as to how to get to these places and I have not seen many clues. If the point is to get people who want titles and will sniff for them, then this point is redundant.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kat77

Thats bizarre, it tool me to my own profile page

WTF?

Anyway old thread....

[edit on 1/1/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
thanks, it took me to my profile page as well. i just found it incredibly weird for a second. lol

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken...the 0,1,2,3, members ect.....are fake profiles created by staff members for the purpose of being able to inject clues into the game of FIND THE RINGS on ATS...............where everyone was invited to solve clues to locate actual golden ATS rings hidden in different countries.....

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Wow...that brings back memories...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

One ring to rule them all, and in darkness bind them.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kat77

4 members had won golden rings and a website as prizes for the game.

And the website is called IgnoranceDenied.com

edit
got the wrong ring

[edit on 1/1/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
cool rings. very nice distraction. they sold their souls for a golden ring.

damn, i want one.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kat77

We all want gold rings......

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
interesting website spawned. never heard of it. how is it different from this one? you mean there's no ignorance there as there is here? i find that hard to believe. i've come to realize that ignorance knows no bounds.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kat77
interesting website spawned. never heard of it. how is it different from this one? you mean there's no ignorance there as there is here? i find that hard to believe. i've come to realize that ignorance knows no bounds.

No, and sadly knowledge knows its own bounds, all too often without compensation for the ignorant.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by redled If the point is to get people who want titles and will sniff for them, then this point is redundant.

No, that's not the point.

The debate forum consists of structured debates with rules, and in order to become a Fighter you agree to those rules. Only fighters can post in the debate forum, and it keeps the spammers, trolls, and off topic comments out of those threads.

The same is more or less true for the other "titles;" you must have the Writer status to post in certain story forums, and only Scholars can post in the Research forums.

The "point" is not about awarding titles to certain people, it's about keeping posts in those particular forums restricted to the people who seriously want to participate/contribute and won't troll them or post off topic comments.

There is a Public Fight Club Pub thread in which you can post to challenge someone to a debate (or accept a challenge) which follows the Debate Forum rules, or you can challenge/accept a challenge via u2u. One of the debate forum mods will then set up your debate for you and give you Fighter status.

No certain number of posts, points, time on ATS, or nobility
required. Be willing to follow the rules, ask an appropriate mod, and ye shall receive.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Yeah, I guess trolling be my greatest weakness. Some people are just muppets though. I reckon the 2012 doom mongers will be right... We've got 2020, 2028 and 2032 stacked up. These peops deserve trolling because they make evidence baseless hysteria every time. Might try a fight on the fight club, but I will never stop trolling.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
When I got my writer status I was told (sorry I forget the staff members name) that you had to be a member for a couple of months, in good standing, ie no warnings etc. And post original writings. In my case poetry. I post in the short story forum. She approved it and changed my title. I also believe they can take the titles away for "bad behaviour" and not contributing consistently.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Don't put much stock into the member tags. They just signify to other members that you are involved in different aspects of ATS. Some look at them as some sort of status symbol here, and that's not their purpose.

I try to stay involved in all 3 as much as I can, although I've kind of slacked off in the writing and research forums lately. I've also done a lot of work in tinWiki as well.

If you really try to sink your teeth it, you'll find there is so much more to ATS than most members realize.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join