It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Latino Voters Prefer Obama -Chicago Tribune

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
www.chicagotribune.com...

Survey sees GOP losing its inroads made since 1990s

By Katie Fretland | Washington Bureau

July 25, 2008

WASHINGTON — Juana Marquez very much wanted to cast her first vote in a United States presidential election for Hillary Clinton.

Marquez, 19, of Washington immigrated to the United States from El Salvador five years ago. She, as well as her sisters, brother and parents, favored the senator from New York, who to them symbolized support for the Latino community.

"We all wanted Hillary," Marquez said Thursday with a wistful laugh. When Clinton lost, she said, "my mom cried, 'Why, why, why?' "

But Marquez, like many Latino voters across the country, is now leaning toward voting for the presumptive Democratic nominee, Sen. Barack Obama, while the rest of her family has definitively decided he will be their candidate. Latino registered voters prefer Obama over Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, by 66 percent to 23 percent, according to a national study released Thursday by the Pew Hispanic Center.

Whoa! 66%? That's quite a number.

Looks like Obama has the Hispanic vote wrapped up!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I would have thought that McCain would receive a larger amount given his liberal policies on immigration (some have described his stances as more liberal than the left). Guess not.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Latinos and the 2006 Mid-term Election
Widely cited findings in the national exit polls suggest Latinos tilted heavily in favor of the Democrats in the 2006 election, taking back a significant portion of the support they had granted the Republicans just two years earlier. Does that mean the Latinos who flirted with the Republican Party are now firmly back in the Democratic camp? Or is it possible that Latino voters behaved like the rest of the electorate and simply rode a Democratic wave?

Hispanics have always tended to vote Democrats for the most part. So this really doesn't surprise me. In addition, the Republicans killed themselves with their get tough stance on illegal immigrants. Their tough stance turned into an all out anti-Hispanic hysteria. They all acted like the Mexican border was the only place a terrorist could get into the US. They bashed and bashed and then their conservative friends, like O'Reilly and Dobbs , jumped on the bandwagon. Now many Hispanic Americans are being harassed because many people think they are illegals because of the color of their skin. Even though McCain has a favorable immigration plan for Hispanics, the damage has already been done. He can thank his party for that. It will be a long time before Republicans get the Hispanic vote again.

source

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Most Americans don't vote based on what illegal Mexican immigrants want.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Not at all a surprise. They always vote for the Dem candidate in about a 2-1 ratio. Al Gore won about 65% of the Latino vote in 2000, with John Kerry doing only a little worse in 2004. His current lead is roughly the same seen in those two elections.

In the most recent Gallup poll, he leads McCain among Hispanics by 2-1--62 percent to 28 percent. That puts him slightly above the support John Kerry received in 2004 and almost at the level Al Gore got in 2000.

Article

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

I don't understand your point?

1. This article is not meant to be an incentive for people to vote bases on the Latino vote. It is simply stating how much of the Latino vote obama will most likely get.

2. This was a poll of legal Latino citizens not illegal Mexican immigrants.

Are you saying you just don't care what Latino American citizens think?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Now all they need to do is get more illegals driver licenses, and they have the election all tied up. Colorado is working towards that agenda.

www.rockymountainnews.com...

Luckily, this House Bill was vetoed by the governor last year. That definitely put a hitch in their plans.

thinkoutsidethecage2.blogspot.com...
www.rockymountainnews.com...
www.colorado.gov...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CO Vet

My plans are for only legal residents to vote.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by Dronetek

I don't understand your point?

1. This article is not meant to be an incentive for people to vote bases on the Latino vote. It is simply stating how much of the Latino vote obama will most likely get.

2. This was a poll of legal Latino citizens not illegal Mexican immigrants.

Are you saying you just don't care what Latino American citizens think?

Dronetek? You care to answer?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
reply to post by CO Vet

My plans are for only legal residents to vote.

Good luck in that. Dreams are good things to have.

join