It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government listening devices on telephone poles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My father brought this to my attention today, he said that he was watching tv and that they were talking about the devices on top of the polls and that they can hear conversations in your house. My dad said we have 2 of these things infront of our house or near our house on the telephone poll. Is my father lieing? or did anyone else hear about such a thing?

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
i NEVER heard that be4...BUT its prob. true...

cant be shure of anythang these days...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan
he said that he was watching tv and that they were talking about the devices on top of the polls and that they can hear conversations in your house. or did anyone else hear about such a thing?
I've never heard of this before. But, I'm sure the governments have other better ways of tapping into peoples conversations. Phone tapping is considered, I think, more effective.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
so i dont know what to believe now
my dad says there is a white bulb like object on top of the light and thats whats its spose to be.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So would that be the little bulb like thing which is a Light Dependant Resistor (or similar) that swiches the light on automatically when it gets dark.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirtythree
So would that be the little bulb like thing which is a Light Dependant Resistor (or similar) that swiches the light on automatically when it gets dark.
That's what I think it is. I don't it's a device used to listen to people's conversations. It's just too far-fetched, and perhaps a little too much paranoia.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
well....i personally think..DUH! of course they arelistening to you. and i close many phone calls with a random strain of numbers or mumbling...just to keep them on their toes

but look at these (Crimethinc.)

Made to be deployed in visible public spaces, the stickers will have maximum effect on light posts or utility boxes or walls or . . . just about anywhere people will see them�public or private property will work just fine. Two stickers on each card.

Made to be deployed on payphones across the world, the stickers fit precisely on the back handle of the telephone receiver.

causing unneccessary paranoia?

GOOD!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that there are listening devices on telephone poles... just too expensive to do if no other reason... If "they" wanted to listen in on you specifically your house would:
1. be bugged
2. phone tapped
3. electronic surveilance such as shotgun mic, parabolic mic or laser mic

It is also noteworthy that I have heard that phones can be listened through even when they are on the hook and not being used. I forget what the method is called but it can be done.

Additionally your computer can be tapped (so to speak) by using "Tempest" which picks up on the RF put out by your keyboard and cables going to your monitor, enabling "them" to see what your screen is displaying as well as seeing and logging your keystrokes. Close proximity like being across the street is required for Tempest to function.

I think there is little chance that any of us on ATS are being watched or bugged, and if we do think that then we are most likely suffering from delusions of grandeur - in other words, unless you're into something really nasty they dont have the manpower nor the assets to waste on you.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Ok thanks for the reply everyone and thank you intelgurl for describing it to me and telling me what you know about this topic
. Dad has some explaining to do

new topics

top topics

join