It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Focus on the family” groups

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Goign to stray faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar off topic here. Why is it that every single post in this thread by someone not completely opposed to FOTF contains at least one spelling and/or grammar error? I think it illustrates something, not quite sure what, but I AM sure that it's hilarious.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
As we are off topic, the OP has a spelling error as well.

I think what happens is that when people are in a hurry they make mistakes. When people are angry they make mistakes. When people become defensive they make mistakes.

Pointing out errors is one thing but to imply that anyone who supports said organization is ignorant or stupid is simply inaccurate and inflammatory.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarBow
As we are off topic, the OP has a spelling error as well.

I think what happens is that when people are in a hurry they make mistakes. When people are angry they make mistakes. When people become defensive they make mistakes.

Pointing out errors is one thing but to imply that anyone who supports said organization is ignorant or stupid is simply inaccurate and inflammatory.

I agree. I had to edit my first post in this thread to apologize for the frequent errors I made in sentence formatting and spelling while this debate went far into the night, I'm sure my opponents’ situations where similar.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Inorder for the focus on the family groups to be as hypocritical as the beaurocrats. They would need to take over the schools of education. They would need to systematically take over all the curriculumn publishers. Then they would need to start banning people from choosing alternatives to public schools. The people who have really undermined parenting in this country have done and continue to do all this. I do not understand why the teaching of Darwin's theory of evolution is considered more important for rational thought than the teaching of Geometry to elementary students.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Inorder for the focus on the family groups to be as hypocritical as the beaurocrats

They’re both hypocritical but this thread is not about which one is more hypocritical. This thread is about FOTF’s hypocritical message, which conflicts with their projected mentality.

I understand if you are trying to say they aren’t that bad compared to others, but that isn’t saying much for them.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

There are very few places in society today where you won't find hypocrisy. It's one of those things that is pretty much common to most people, most organizations.....just about everything.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
“Focus on the family” groups

Then the same groups pressure different forms of media into no longer playing commercial ads or into censoring shows those certain groups do not deem appropriate for their own family, therefore it is not appropriate for everyone’s family?

On one hand they want the government to stay out of their children’s education when it comes to certain classes, yet on the other hand they want to involve themselves in censoring things and deeming what is appropriate for others and others families.

These people are opportunistic hypocrites who should focus on their own families.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

While I agree with you that these types of groups can be a little over the top in their methods (i.e. zealousness), I hardly see the hypocritical stance. Remember, a hypocrite is preaching or bleiving one way and then doing the opposite.

So, in your above example, trying to limit government involvement in children's education and promoting groups that emphasize their beliefs is not hypocritical. However, if this same group that believes in freedom of religion and sues a school because they denied rights for a Christian group to meet on campus while, at the same time, trying to deny a meeting of a Muslim group on campus, then that would be hypocritical.

It is not hypocritical to promote a view that is contrary to your view.

I'm interested in what 'censoring things' you refer to.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

a hypocrite is preaching or bleiving one way and then doing the opposite.

They do the opposite as they preach. The FOTF attempt to have TV and media censored not allowing families to decide what is appropriate for them and their family to watch, while at the same time being hypocrites for saying people should be allowed to teach their children or censor their children as they wish.

They are hypocrites, going back on their own mentality that it should be your right, not the government or theirs to say what you do with yourself or family.

A telling story you should look up is how FOTF is pushing for Canada to not allow certain shows they deem inappropriate to film in Canada, something that might take some shows off the air because it is much cheaper for them to film in Canada.

I’ve mentioned and gone over this several times in this thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

There are very few places in society today where you won't find hypocrisy. It's one of those things that is pretty much common to most people, most organizations.....just about everything.

I'm well aware of this. I don't see your point, I never stated hypocrisy isn't everywhere.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

a hypocrite is preaching or believing one way and then doing the opposite.

They do the opposite as they preach. The FOTF attempt to have TV and media censored not allowing families to decide what is appropriate for them and their family to watch, while at the same time being hypocrites for saying people should be allowed to teach their children or censor their children as they wish.

You need to be careful how you throw around the word censorship. The way you use is it, is now how it is defined. If I choose not to teach my child about homosexual behavior at 5 years old, because I wish to wait until a more appropriate age, then I do not call it censoring. I call it parenting. Now, if a public school decides that it is my child's best interest in kindergarten to learn about Heather and her two mommies and I have no recourse to remove her from such teaching (other than removing her from school and homeschooling), then you'd better believe I'd want an orginization to help push for parental rights in this matter. If anything, I'd say that the school/government was censoring my rights as a parent to decide whether or not my child should receive such teaching at that age.

Parents should be free to teach their children as they wish. There could and should be exceptions to this, such as teaching a child to commit crime or voluntary violent behavior.

Censoring is suppresing or deleting of material deemed inappropriate or objectionable.

They are hypocrites, going back on their own mentality that it should be your right, not the government or theirs to say what you do with yourself or family.

Good question, what is the role of government? Is it to remove power from the parent and teach children according to its beliefs?

A telling story you should look up is how FOTF is pushing for Canada to not allow certain shows they deem inappropriate to film in Canada, something that might take some shows off the air because it is much cheaper for them to film in Canada.

I’ve mentioned and gone over this several times in this thread.

So, they're pushing. Have they censored? And what shows do they deem inappropriate?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I think those people have their own agenda and are ridiculous, and the system can't fit everybody's needs. If you don't want your kids so curious about it, don't be prudes and tell them they can't wear swimsuits or short skirts. If everybody would stop making a big deal about it, it wouldn't look so forbidden. But then again, it is more interesting, if you make it such a secretive thing. But that is stupid. I think that there will always be all kinds of parents who have different approaches to these things. That is always gonna be the case. Until some stupid DSM book tells them that being prudes or being letting your kids see the truth is a disorder.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This issue is why I think power should be distributed more locally. This is Utopian garbage, but it would work something like this: Every community would come together and decide how they would like to educate their children.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Focus on the Family and James Dobson are on there way out. What happens when someone gets backed into a corner, they get agitated or aggressive. FOTF has finally come to the point where enough Americans can see their abusive methods for the handling of their religious tolerances(they don't have any). America is becoming more tolerant and understanding of many cultures where FOTF hasn't. We all know what became of the dinosaurs - they become extinct. Give them a few more years and let them dig their own Graves. Like I posted before..
www.forthebibletellsmeso.org...
has a great campaign to let people become aware of James Dobson and the people running this campaign themselves are practicing Christians. Let Chritstians handle their own, lol

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

otherwise they’d use all that energy on something more constructive and that warrants more attention then creating a school system that deliberately makes our children ignorant.

How does not teaching "sex" and the THEORY of "evolution" make our children ignorant????????????????? You have no proof of this and I would think ANYONE who actually believes in the THEORY of evolution is ignorant.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

Let me get this straight, if i believe in the theory of evolution I am ignorant as oppose to believe a man living in the clouds and space, just blinked us into existence. If that is the case, call me ignorant any day. Maybe I have misunderstood your intent, if I have I appologize

[edit on 25-7-2008 by alienj]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

You need to be careful how you throw around the word censorship.

This is about them wanting to control content. Now you can consider that not being censorship, I consider things differently.

If I choose not to teach my child about homosexual behavior at 5 years old, because I wish to wait until a more appropriate age, then I do not call it censoring.

This in your mentality is having control over what your child learns, FOTF wants you to have this and yet they do not want you to have the control over what you and your family watch, they set out to do this for you. Don’t call it wrong, don’t call it censorship, but it is a clear hypocrisy.

Good question, what is the role of government?

A question I have no problem tackling in another thread or in U2Us. This thread has already been warned of going off topic and I don’t want my thread to close.

And what shows do they deem inappropriate?
Smallville was one of them. At the same time this controversy was going on FOTF was suing claiming their commercial are censored, for someone who wants to control what other people watch they sure don’t like to deal with it happening to them.

www.rickross.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Have they censored?

In Canada they are succeeding in having books removed from schools that they feel are inappropriate for your children.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

How does not teaching "sex" and the THEORY of "evolution" make our children ignorant?????????????????

Ignorance is lacking in knowledge. Not teaching kids how to protect themselves from STDs (or diseases that can be spread through sex such as HIV and AIDs, both of which affect you the rest of your life and every sexual partner you have) and pregnancy does make them ignorant in sexual matters. Now the question is not are they ignorant, the question is does the government get to decide this ignorance is harmful enough to them and our society that they take your right to teach your children these things out of your hands in case you don't. I don't know if I agree with this or not, I have conflicting feelings about it.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
REPLY to rapinbatsisaltherage

So you are telling me that everything you learned about "sex" came from your public school? Not sure about everyone else but I did not learn a thing from public school "sex education".

The government should not be allowed to make any decisions regarding this issue or any other that infringes on the rights of a parent in regards to their belief system. I always hear people say it is ok to teach evolution in the public school but not creationism. Why not? Evolution is just as much a religion as christianity or judaism, is it not? Because if you belive in evolution you are beliveing by what...........? FAITH. Which makes it a religion.

And if you could answer me about how not teahcing the THEORY of evolution in our schools makes our children ignorant that would be great. And dont tell me it is because a lack of knowledge. What would society be missing out on by not learning Darwins thoery which he doubted himself sometimes?

[edit on 26-7-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

So you are telling me that everything you learned about "sex" came from your public school?

Nope, where did I state this?

The government should not be allowed to make any decisions regarding this issue or any other that infringes on the rights of a parent in regards to their belief system.

I have no problem with this opinion.

What would society be missing out on by not learning Darwins thoery which he doubted himself sometimes?

The best theory as to how we as humans were formed. Gravity is a theory, but we can tell that on our planet gravity obviously exist. Evolution is another credible theory, and I think children do miss out not being educated about each credible scientific theory. And what proof do you have of your claims about Darwin? Not saying you are wrong or his theory is right, I’ve simply never heard of his doubts.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join