It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Focus on the family” groups

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Yes but with christianity on the downslide in the US remember a couple things.
1. Muslim migration, they hate us yet come here.
2. almost a direct curve with our youth today and morales. i.e. teen pregnancy

Actually in many countries it is on the decline and Islam is on the rise, it is not an American thing. Totally off topic, just find it interesting.

As for teens and morals our society before may have not had teen pregnancy as much, but we had segregation and a whole mess of other things wrong with our morals. I'm glad those days are over, teen pregnancies or not.

Also I'd like to point out that AIDs and HIV did not exist in the time you mention, we did not have to protect teens from sexual diseases that can kill you and are wide spread.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Agian in the articles there is no show of force just freedom being expressed. Aside from that we must focus on the future while learning from the past and acting on the present.

FOTF is trying to build a stronger family bond, and to me thats good.

Now my wife just called and i must leave work and go home so i am ready for my 3 bundles of joy in the morning.

Thanks for a great thread and see you out there. Looking for UFO's on the way home!!!!

Have a great night all.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
Could you answer my post instead of side stepping it please?

If I'm not mistaken, slavery is against the law. Organizing a group and taking on the media is not. You're comparing apples to oranges. To make my post a little clearer, why should the majority have to bow to the wishes of the minority? If I'm the majority and you're not, guess what, you're not getting your way.

So, in-other-words, if your group is bigger than mine, you can change what's watched on TV. If not, sorry.

They advocate parents teaching their kids at home because the school system generally is not conservative

They also advocate people teaching their children or censoring their children as they wish while taking away an adults own ability to choose what is right for them to watch or not.

FOTF represents conservatives. The adults who support this organization do not want nasty crap on TV. The people who support FOTF also teach their child conservative values. No bad TV and conservative values go hand in hand. I don't see why this is confusing.

They take away the adults right to choose bad TV programming because the adults want that trash off TV to begin with. The adults have chosen not to have it on TV because the adults support FOTF. FOTF has no power outside of its supporters.

The people who support FOTF choose not to have non-conservative programming on TV. FOTF only exists because of its supporters. FOTF is the mouth piece of its supporters.

I just said the same thing 3 different ways. One of these has to work for you...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alkali

So, in-other-words, if your group is bigger than mine, you can change what's watched on TV.

Yes but that does not make it fair or right, fair and right have nothing to do with the amount of supporters.

They take away the adults right to choose bad TV programming because the adults want that trash off TV to begin with.

Nope. Not everyone supports censorship, if people did not want to watch those shows they wouldn't be on in the first place. This does not in any way, shape, or form mean FOTF is not hypocritical.

The point of this post was to point out hypocrisy, not wrong or right.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

Agian in the articles there is no show of force just freedom being expressedi

You can find FOTF's own petitions to censor online. You can see people protesting and wishing not to be censored, one group in my links discusses their struggle with being censored by the FOTF. If that doesn't convince you of force I don't see what can.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   

reply to post by alkali

Yes but that does not make it fair or right, fair and right have nothing to do with the amount of supporters.

So your views or more right or fair than that of the majority? Of course not. How can anyone decided what's more fair or right concerning morality of TV programming? The only way something like that can be decided is by majority opinion.

Nope. Not everyone supports censorship, if people did not want to watch those shows they wouldn't be on in the first place. This does not in any way, shape, or form mean FOTF is not hypocritical.

You're killing me. I'm going to try this again. FOTF represents its supporters. The supporters support censorship of trash TV. So therefore, FOTF protests or whatever to get rid of it. FOTF does it's supporters bidding. If you don't like it, make a more powerful group.

I don't see why this is complicated.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by alkali

How can anyone decided what's more fair or right concerning morality of TV programming?

That's not what I meant, I was replying to your logic in your other post that something is considered right or fair if the majority is for it, forgive me if I misunderstood it's late here.

You're killing me.

Like wise.

The FOTF uses one reasoning when it comes thinking you should be deciding what your child should be learning in school- deciding what is best for your child, and uses another reasoning when it comes to your family and your right and responsability to choose what you watch or not and to control what content you find appropriate. This is hypocrisy to me, it involves everyone, not just FOTF supporters.

Good night, continue tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Dang it i need to go home., tell me a group you support?
In America you are allowed to disagree and share your opinion.
Boycott is not force. Hand to hand confrontation is force. show me that. show me FOTF disrespecting law enforcement, backing up traffic or kicking down doors.

They are useing there god given right to disagree. so again........

tell me a group you support.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

lovin the west coast, goodnight!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

reply to post by alkali

This is hypocrisy to me, it involves everyone, not just FOTF supporters.

You're right, but FOTF doesn't work for everyone. They work for their supporters. They don't care what everyone else wants, nor should any group that is advocating something. If the group doing the advocating cared about everyone else, they wouldn't be doing it in the first place. One of the understood ideas of being an activist is that not everyone will agree with you. If they did agree, you wouldn't need to push an agenda to begin with.

This seems perfectly logical to me.

edit: grammar

[edit on 25-7-2008 by alkali]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I do understand where you are coming from, but it seems as though there is this dark and deep blind spot with some who just can't get it.

Shall we do a dialog and play act what you're talking about...I'll be a concerned parent and you be a TV producer...

I'll start

"mr jones, this is Gail Parker, I am a mother, a CONCERNED mother of 2 boys who watch your station and I'm calling to tell you I am very concerned, I got an e-mail today from Focus on the Family...you run a very vulgar commercial - for the product "Aspercream"..I believe it's used to treat hemmroids?? well, the e-mail said the jingle goes, something like...(whispers) ...you bet your sweet ASSpercream...now really Mr jones, that is so unnecessary ..."

go

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

This is gonna be good

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

well mrs. jones i understand your concern, i have that same dilema in my home. The feelings i came to is that a child who understands this commercial gets i)nuendoes?) and that younger children will not even skip a beat,

Have your children had an issue with this? if so please inform me.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

BTW playing the i hate FOTF role.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by alkali

I have got to go home!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Good nigt Irene, see you in the morning

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anotherdad

"I would like to avoid exposing my children to the word "ASS", you see that is a naughty word in our house...unless referring to an animal...in a manger, and by the way Mr Jones I am not the only person in the world upset by this you will be hearing from lots of others very soon...the e-mail I received went out to about 100,000 Families"

(incidentally, I noticed the actual commercial was changed to "You bet if it's Aspercream"
and look what I found: jeffblogworthy.com.../archives/1204-AspercremeRs-unbelievably-tacky-jingle.html

SOOOO not FOTF but merely "conservatives" not only will they "REFUSE TO EVEN LOOK AT ASPERCREAM on the shelf, they are going to make them change the jingle!!!

I thought it was funny. I know people with kids are uptight about "words" and "language" but the fact is you can't protect your kids from life where bad words are said and children just like them across the ocean are suffering horribly-and some people . who apparently have lots of time on their hands take issue with a stupid advert for hemmorroid cream. sheeesh, how about some priorities? Too much other really bad stuff is going on to get bunched up about crap on TV...If they were any kind of hardcore christians-they wouldn't have a tv in their homes. TV it's all evil IMHO.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

"Have your children had an issue with this? Did the said issue really have an impact. If so how do you know? Please describe the effects of the said issue on your child. Please explain it in a logical manner and don't get excited about it. You are the only person I've had a complaint from. It seems you are not a very tolerant person. I thank you for your concern, we will keep an eye on this and inform you if any changes will be made."

A typical response of the 4- 6% of the people who usually have an issue with FOTF. There is usually another agenda lurking below the surface.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i think that as long as 51% of the people agree with you, you can do anything. the thing about democracy is that majority rules. so you know what they got the people they get the control. 51% people love spongebob 49% think it turns children into homosexuals. (percentages made up, jsut trying to make a point). it stays on the air. you jsut gotta have the support. then feel free to do anythign you wish. gotta love america

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Why do I get the feeling some members in this thread feel that the rules don't apply to them?

Let's recap:

1. No 1-liners.
2. No personal insults.
3. No going off-topic.

Let's try to remember those, please guys and girls.

Civility and Decorum are Required
One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join