NEWS: Korea's Impeachment Fury

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
In the relatively young republic of South Korea, a battle over the president's impeachment is raising quite a stir. The president is being impeached over an alleged elections law violation.

S. Korea Lawmakers Fight for Podium (Yahoo)

Poll results will decide my fate: Roh (The Korea Herald)

President Roh Moo-hyun played another political wild card yesterday, suggesting he would step down if the pro-government Uri Party failed to acquire due support from voters in the next month's general elections." The Korea Herald

[continued]

The opposition parties say they have enough votes to pass the impeachment bill. This has caused loyal party members to prevent the opposing party from voting on the impeachment bill by physically not allowing the opposition to take the podium, thus not allowing the vote to be taken.

Although, President Roh Moo-hyun, has admitted to being involved in "unfair lobbying", he still refuses to apologize. The Korean President has also said he may resign if party members supporting him, do not fare well in the upcoming election.

Amid this political mess, there is a larger fall-out occurring. In the manufacturing sector, the ex-head of the Daewoo Engineering and Construction Company, Nam Sang-kook, is missing, and has allegedly committed suicide after President Roh Moo-hyun admitted he may have broken election laws.

On a personal note, I feel this impeachment fury has shown that there are some ignorant souls out. Still supporting the president after commiting unlawful acts, with signs like, "Impeach Parliament".

Sad indeed that they wish to only have a President, with no Parliament. Where physical fights break out to prevent the impeachment of the President occur, and the minority trying to prevent the enforcement the law.

I pray for the Korean Republic to survive, and remain a beacon of freedom in Asia.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
JUST IN!

Korean President Roh Moo Hyun, has been impeached!

www.washingtonpost.com...

new topics

join