It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban the stupid taser.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
After reading many stories esp of the old lady being tasered and 85 people that die from this thing...first of all the police over use it.We are humans not a lighting rods,BANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.Im tired of reading people already handcuffed being zapped.

Taser gun safety is questioned as 85 die
www.infowars.com...
As police departments across Metro Detroit continue to equip their officers with Taser guns, an international group is questioning whether the weapons really are non-lethal.

Yeah its old new but i read new everyday on this taser being overused.

Torture by Taser

When police abuse their newest “nonlethal” toy, people die.

www.fwweekly.com...

[edit on 24-7-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I agree; it needs to go away

The taser was a good idea on paper...a nonlethal weapon that could be used on nearly anyone safely.

The problem is that people started seeing the taser as such: I have a weapon that leaves no permanent damage therefore I can use it with less discression than a gun.

I think that if tasers are to be used, they should be treated with the same caution and restraint as a gun would be treated with.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
There's no need for the taser to be banned. It's a useful tool that can save lives, when used correctly.

What needs to happen is for cops who use a taser, when it isn't necessary, to be punished. Not just a slap on a wrist either. At the least loss of the job and all benefits, including future government jobs.

Something like that is more likely to happen than tasers being banned outright.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
As harsher punishment for the misuse of tasers would cause more discresion in the use of tasers, I do agree with you, tebyen. Harsher punishment is needed if tasers are to be used by the police.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The problem is the cops not the Tasers

Banning the Tasers won't make the issues go away, instead of killing people with Tasers cops will likely go back to killing people with guns or at least wounding people.

Why do alot of people seem to think banning something will make a problem go away ? It's just a simple way to think your fixing the problem without actually adressing it and it never works out

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't think tasers should be outright banned but there needs to be some restraint used in deploying one. More of a closer to last ditch effort before shooting someone, saving lives or in self-defense, instead of treating a taser like a tranq gun.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well one way of getting the cops to respect the abilities of the tazer is to have a requirement that they in part of their training get zpped full force so they will know EXACTLY what it feels like and maybe think twice before Zapping a kid or old lady with it!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen
There's no need for the taser to be banned. It's a useful tool that can save lives, when used correctly.

What needs to happen is for cops who use a taser, when it isn't necessary, to be punished. Not just a slap on a wrist either. At the least loss of the job and all benefits, including future government jobs.

Something like that is more likely to happen than tasers being banned outright.

This is probably the best action.Cops seem to think that its a toy to shock people with and its not.50k volts going through your nervous system cant be good for you.But some of these criminals,fanatics or whatnot can overpower cops depending on the person, so a taser is handy in those situations.More training is needed for police forces.

This is like the ban on handguns.Handguns dont kill people.People kill people.Thats why laws banning handguns will never work since criminals dont exactly line up to have their gun registered!LOL!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have made a few visits to law enforcement training academies. All of the academies I visited DID have a requirement that, if an officer is to be permitted to carry a taser then the officer must have a taser first used on him to know what it is like to be hit by one.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by daniel191159
I have made a few visits to law enforcement training academies. All of the academies I visited DID have a requirement that, if an officer is to be permitted to carry a taser then the officer must have a taser first used on him to know what it is like to be hit by one.

Yup that should be a requirement for ALL law enforcement BUT not all police dept do that!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I want to say that banning it is a bad idea.

But honestly, what's the purpose of taser? Stated purpose, to use it instead of a gun. But you only have to use a gun if your life (police officer) or the life of others is being immediately threatened. And in that case, would you count on a taser to give you a reliable take down, instead of a gun?

I don't think so. And if you don't have to do that, you don't need the taser.

So to be honest, I wouldn't ban it entirely, but I think restricting it heavily is a very good idea. And as was stated, if it's misused, treat it as if a gun was misused.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the tazers are properly tested or calibrated before each shift. As it is a new weapon and could probably be jogged or bumped causing small changes inside I think that they need to be tested before going out with the officer. If each tazer is checked for calibration then the police would have evidence that the tazer was working properly. if someone died after the use of the tazer then the proof of correct callibration would be on the officer's side and another reason for the death would have to be found. Seems to me that it is only logical to make sure all your equipment works properly before leaving for a shift. This would also give more evidence to both sides of the arguement and prove one way or other that they are safe or unsafe and under what conditions they become unsafe. This way the police would also know what conditions would make the weapon an unsafe option and rely on other methods of force.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

i tend to agree with you on almost everything you post. however i dont agree with this post.

the tazer has killed a few people but its also save many many times the number of lives that its taken. think of all the situations they were used, if we didnt have them guns would have had to be used. and tazers are a whole lot less likely to kill you than a gun.

just my thoughts.

one more thing i do agree with you on the point that you are sick of hearing all of the crying about there use...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Such a fine line between the good guys and the bad guys.

The potential for misbehavior seems to be inherent.

The war between the two is never won and it will always be blurry as to who is in which role at particular times.

If banning Tasers and Bad Guys would solve problems then Presto it shall be done.

Must be tough being god when we mere mortals can't even figure out the basics as to acceptable social behavior and abiding in the realm of that which involves no Gray area.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Pastor tasered for joking

Taser the Elderly
Taser the children
Taser the dogs
Taser the blind
Taser the handicapped

I'm sure there will be more mixture. But who knows? Maybe next time it'll be you getting tasered for no reason or even your parents?

top topics

join