It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Freed British Guantanamo Detainees Consider Legal Action Against U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The five British men who were recently released after spending two years of detention in Guantanamo Bay are considering legal action against the United States. The five men who range in age from 22 to 37 had all insisted that they were innocent of terrorism charges and were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are still four other British citizens being held in Guantanamo.

Freed British Guantanamo Detainees Consider Legal Action Against U.S.
"It is what we expected to happen," said Steven Watt, a British lawyer with the U.S. based Center for Constitutional Rights, who represented two of the arrested men -- Asif Iqbal and Shafiq Rasul.
"I think they are owed something by the U.S. government, but whether they will ever be able to get it is another thing," Watt said.

Robert Lizar, the lawyer for al-Harith, has said his client wanted the U.S. authorities "to answer for the injustice which he has suffered."
"He has been treated in a cruel, inhumane and degrading manner, he wants the authorities to answer for that," Lizar added.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If I was innocent, I would be suing too.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hell yes, see the mudpit soon for my enormous OMFG WTF IS TEH USA DOING post.

Should be ready tomorrow

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
1 detainee is already speaking out.

Shackled to the floor by his hands and feet for up to 15 hours.

Punishment beatings.

Mystery Injections.

Loud pop music played and bright lights shone in his cell to effect sleep denial.

This from a man(a website designer) who was arrested by the Taliban for spying and found in prison by the Northern Alliance and handed to the Americans and kept without charge for two years.

Why aren't our American members answering this thread?

Is this American justice? If it is then many will wonder why it is that many Americans feel the world should adopt American principles.They obviously have none.

IMO this story deserves more prominence and the title should reflect the human rights abuses that have been perpetrated.This story is only going to get more disturbing as more details come out.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I want all terrorist and those who support them brought to justice. Justice is not what is happening right now.

I am firmly against the holding of anyone in the world without charges, access to red cross, lawyers and trials.

I think we are just starting to see the truth about GitMo and it is not going to be pretty.

I remember telling someone about a year ago that the Bush policy of locking world citizens up in this way could cost him the election, maybe this will help us to right this wrong.

Again if they are terrorist, I want them charged and convicted, after we prove in a court they are in fact terrorist. Calling them enemy combatants and then not following the Geneva convention for prisoners is wrong, wrong wrong!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is the same guy who stated that he went to Pakistan to study Islam but "accidentally" strayed into Afghanistan.
Dunno about you, but "accidentally" stumbling into another country seems to be a bit suspect to me.

It's also pretty interesting to note that he got paid a couple hundred thousand by the Mirror newspaper for his story.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Nice spotting Leveller.

In regards to what you have mentioned, lets guess who or whom has an "agenda", shall we?

regards
seekerof

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Nice spotting Leveller.

In regards to what you have mentioned, lets guess who or whom has an "agenda", shall we?

regards
seekerof

Nice side step. I like the look of that fence you're sitting on.

Do you think what he was put through is right, now considering that he has been released without charges?

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
That's what I thought. Keep it up though.

top topics

join