It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Raising The Minimum Wage & Stop Whining

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by forthepeople

Why yes, I think I would like fries with that. While you're at it, would you mind washing my luxury car you fetid pile of poverty ridden trash.

When you grow up and move out of your mothers basement, feel free to try again. You're way out of your league here kid.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
Great idea maybe you should have posted a thread on how the government needs to change and what they need to do to make this country a better place for everyone. No instead you make a thread title that comes off as a attack on those that make lower wages and whining yourself about it causing prices to go up.

Plus im tired of you and others irrational ILLOGICAL thinking. The government doesnt give people 6.55 / hour THEY HAVE TO WORK FOR IT. Probably doing a harder job than you actually. Isnt that ironic?
[edit on 28-7-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

Funny how you know me and anybody else that disagrees with you, but you have no idea what I've been through or justamomma. I do work my but off to raise my six children and I will not give up if I'm handed some challenges. I'm not whining I'm telling you the facts of life and if you can't handle that then that's your problem. Minimum wage will by you food and get you the things you need, not the things you want. If you want something then you do the necessary things to get it and that doesn't mean whining about where you're at or blaming anyone but yourself.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Funny how you know me and anybody else that disagrees with you, but you have no idea what I've been through or justamomma. I do work my but off to raise my six children and I will not give up if I'm handed some challenges. I'm not whining I'm telling you the facts of life and if you can't handle that then that's your problem. Minimum wage will by you food and get you the things you need, not the things you want. If you want something then you do the necessary things to get it and that doesn't mean whining about where you're at or blaming anyone but yourself.

Exactly and you my friend or Justmomma (are yall married?) DONT KNOW WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE BEEN THROUGH.

Still answer my reply why dont you make a thread about how the government can make this country better?

Unless of course you are saying raising minimum wage is a more important topic to you than the other world problems like hmmmm.

Wars, gas prices, pollution, alternative energy sources, corrupt governments, terrorism, education etc etc

All the stuff wrong in this world but raising the minimum wage gets you worked up?

You my friend have your prioritys mixed up if this is the case.

If you were to poll the nation on whats wrong with this country today i guarantee you minimum wage wouldnt break the top 5 pal. Now refute that.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Did you do this without any help from friends, parents, Bfs, husband, alimony, child support, school loans, bank loans, inheritance. anyone cutting you a break along the way . etc etc? I dont care if it was loaning you 100 bucks to get you out of a squeeze one day.

Everyone reguardless of how hard they work had to be cut a break by someone someday even you.

eh.... i'll play along.

yes, I had help from friends (ie. not the government)

very little from my parents (they live in Zambia Africa where ppl don't complain about having to pound big stones into fine powder for about the equivelent of 25 American cents per stone)

no help from boyfriends (don't even have the time or desire considering most of them are whiners just like the woman you are trying to defend)

by husband, you mean ex correct? after I spent good money, I finally was able to get him to take some responsibility, still little considering

no alimony

no child support for the first year and half (now after I finally made something of myself and was able to afford a lawyer to go after his arse, I get about $150/wk)

school loans, bank loan? nope

inheritance? I will have one in the form of land when the parents pass on, but did it help me? no lol

And yes, I was helped along the way, like I said, by a few friends but I never asked or whined to them which is probably why they helped. And in my circle, we have the policy of paying it forward, which I have done many times.

You don't have to give me credit for pulling myself up by the boot straps and making things happen. Just knowing I did is a feeling that can't be taken away!!

And I am all for helping ppl that are willing to help themselves and not demand for life to cater to them.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

You should really consider getting a green avatar, it would fit in well with the level of envy that resides within you.

You sound like a bitter, poor person who refuses to accept responsibility for the fact you make 18 grand per year.

Don't be jealous of others, it won't get you anywhere besides an early grave.

Tomorrow morning wake up, go look in the mirror, recognize the problem is staring back at you, and start a new life plan.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by justmomma

Good those friends should not have helped you its your responsibility to make it in life not theirs.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Spoken like someone with:

a) No money

and b) No friends.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Well i have to go set up a Sun Fire X4500 while you hard working people stay and chat on message boards during the day. Oh and the minimum wagers are out in the hot sun working or flipping burgers.

bye bye

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Should that impress me?

If so, it didn't.

You have fun working, I have people to do that for me.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

It's your responsibility to surround yourself with good friends and to help them out the same. Friends helped me out because they wanted to and I do the same. This isn't about dishing people on minimum wage, it's about raising the minimum wage without fixing other problems and to quit whining about your position and make it better yourself whether it's friends, family etc... Just don't wait on the government to bail you out.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by slackerwire

Well i have to go set up a Sun Fire X4500 while you hard working people stay and chat on message boards during the day. Oh and the minimum wagers are out in the hot sun working or flipping burgers.

bye bye

sucks for you dude!! I must admit it is nice working for myself!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Should that impress me?

If so, it didn't.

You have fun working, I have people to do that for me.

touché

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by peggy m

LOL. The minimum wage does not increase the cost of living. Someone makes $7 an hour spends that money in the US. If we imported less goods --- than it would be totally reclaimed by our economy.

No, the major increase in the cost of living has to do with how much money is printed. When the Republicans tell you they can give a $500 Billion tax break to the wealthy, while waging a Trillion $ war and NOT raise taxes -- how can they do that?

The print money, and that dollar in your hand is worth HALF what it was in 2000. You would have been better off with a 50% tax rate, because wages would increase to deal with that. Anyway, there are a lot of think tanks and corporate shills on the networks and PBS that make sure people don't really understand how they are ripped off.

My gas bill was $35 when it was the Government providing it. After it got privatized, it costs 4 times more. It is now 6 times more than what it was for natural gas. The bills have all sorts of exotic reasons like "transport tax fee" and such. They also vary by business because they don't have all their lies straight.

So, another part of your cost of living increase is pure greed. ENRON went national and we are being ripped off in the same scam.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Oh and the minimum wagers are out in the hot sun working or flipping burgers.

Every single one of them? I know to many people that make more than minimum wage that do the same. I also know minimum wage workers working in air conditioning facilities.

It's a choice to make and people working where ever are making that choice. Not everybody is whining and I'm glad, but to many do when they could change their situation with determination and passion to make it.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A lot of the cost of living wage is pure greed you are correct.

Anyways i havent seen any minimum wage workers whining in these forums. I have seen other whining about the minimum wage. Pot meet Kettle.

To those who do not support the minimum wage I must ask you what do you think a person is worth for manual labor? How much should they get paid? A typical high school grad doing a job how much should they be paid in this day and age?

They are taking their time away from family and there life to help your business so what is that worth? How much compensation?

Id love to see your answers.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by forthepeople]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

It's not how much a person is worth because if you ask me that question to me then I'm worth $50.00 an hour, plus benefits. It's what the job is worth and your experience and the business should have a say in it. If you don't like what you're getting paid then do something about it and don't whine. It's what you do for yourself and how, not what a business has to do for you by being forced by government.

[edit on 7/28/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Okay first I want to thank all of you for your input on my situation. I have had some much needed sleep, and just wanted to say I truly appreciate all of your kind words, I really do.
I also appreciate the not so kind words because it is people like you that make me want to push a little harder.
Let me say that I am *not* asking for the government to bail me out nor am I waiting for a hand out. If that were the case I would have applied for and received government assistance.
I am saying loud and clear that I do not agree with the way the government chooses to run this country.

To just*mama* or whatever your name is. I was tired when I posted, forgive me for not speaking ever so eloquently, I tend to be myself when posting in forums.
When it comes to writing articles, short stories, conducting interviews etc.. I sit down and I do it correctly.
I too give advice when asked, but I am not so rude and degrading about it... ditto for you slacker, and right now that middle finger is pointed directly at you.

I wanted to post again because I sincerely appreciate all the time the members have taken to speak on my behalf. I can't thank you enough.
Not to worry, I am extremely confident about my writing skills and all I can do is try. I promise I will keep trying and I promise not to give up.

The reason I originally posted is because I couldn't imagine my life without my sons no matter my income. They are my reason for pushing forward, they are my heart and soul.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

It's not how much a person is worth because if you ask me that question to me then I'm worth $50.00 an hour, plus benefits. It's what the job is worth and the business should have a say in it. If you don't like what you're getting paid then do something about it and don't whine. It's what you do for yourself and how, not what a business has to do for you by being forced by government.

Hmm so you think you are worth more?

Sometimes people have a right to complain and you can do something about it while complaining.

So if whoever you worked for tomm told you your salary was gonna be cut in half would you complain any? If they found someone to replace you for some reason would you then complain?

Does speaking out againist something that is not fair = complaining?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
reply to post by peggy m

LOL. The minimum wage does not increase the cost of living. Someone makes $7 an hour spends that money in the US. If we imported less goods --- than it would be totally reclaimed by our economy.

No, the major increase in the cost of living has to do with how much money is printed. When the Republicans tell you they can give a $500 Billion tax break to the wealthy, while waging a Trillion $ war and NOT raise taxes -- how can they do that?

The print money, and that dollar in your hand is worth HALF what it was in 2000. You would have been better off with a 50% tax rate, because wages would increase to deal with that. Anyway, there are a lot of think tanks and corporate shills on the networks and PBS that make sure people don't really understand how they are ripped off.

My gas bill was $35 when it was the Government providing it. After it got privatized, it costs 4 times more. It is now 6 times more than what it was for natural gas. The bills have all sorts of exotic reasons like "transport tax fee" and such. They also vary by business because they don't have all their lies straight.

So, another part of your cost of living increase is pure greed. ENRON went national and we are being ripped off in the same scam.

OK, let's agree to disagree on the topic of increasing MW increasing (OR NOT) the cost of living.

I will however admit that I am not sure what should be done about the privatizing of things such as gas. But I am not getting how raising minimum wage is going to help. If "they" are as greedy as you say (which I am not necessarily arguing), then they will have even more reason to raise their costs citing that those on the bottom rung jobs can afford more or that they are paying out more to support the increase.

The greed is not going to go away when we don't target it at the source. Raising minimum wage does nothing to target the real problem, but rather it enables others to continue relying on the so called "greedy."

(and in my perspective, those who are refusing to figure out how to better their situations themselves or through the help of personal friends and family are just as greedy as those who you are citing to be greedy).

I concur that the problem is not only in the increasing of Minimum Wage, but until society can take personal responsibility and because they are relying on these ppl you all cite as greedy, the ones REALLY benifitting from greed are going to continue to profit through their ignorance not only off of them, but off of us who do take personal responsibility.

Lack of formal education is not and never has been the major problem for those who are working minimum wage. Lack of common sense is their downfall. (I have been there too and needed to get a clue; difference is, I didn't wallow for long in my ignorance bc I had goals to reach for not only me, but my two sons as well
).

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

My brother got involved with drugs at his high school. Instead of going to prison, he went to therapy. He now manages 100+ people and makes over $250K. WE have both gone through depression. I'd say we can thank FORTUNE and our place in this world a lot more than hard work. And some people do NOT know how to get ahead -- it is a skill and it is networking. If you didn't get born in the right family -- chances are you will never get it.

You seem to not get the point about hard-working people in third-world countries. The thing that allows hard work to pay off -- is all the damn Liberal institutions that you and your ilk take for granted and want to destroy. That tough love crap didn't work for the entire length of human history -- but that doesn't stop people from still using it. Wow, I guess the Dark Ages, Slavery and Serfdom must have been a panacea -- no lazy people, why did anyone decide that we needed America to be free in the first place? We just created a haven for laziness.

Good for you, not raising lazy kids. People every day accomplish this amazing feat behind the safety of a white picket fence, and grew up without the sort of questions in life that distract from a good paying job. I don't want to speculate, but I've known a lot of church-going people who have these huge networks of support. They think all the worlds problems would be solved if everyone were like them. The world cannot support the number of wasteful, hypocritical, SUV-driving Christians as it is. The callousness towards the environment, towards the unfortunate, and the head-in-the sand concept that Charities and begging can solve any of these huge problems fits hand-in-glove with the White-Picket-Fence Christo-fascists in this country.

I'm not saying we don't have a problem with culture, where people are always looking for an excuse. But as successful people in America, WE cannot be whining about our responsibility to help others succeed just because people abuse it. America was doing a lot better economically, when we were treating the people at the bottom better. I'd be happy if they never had to work. Because I don't worry about people getting something for free. I worry about the wealthy taking everything and making me fight over the scraps.

NOBODY is helped by crass people who put them down. Some people need a dream as a way to get by when the don't have energy to play with their kids. I don't know, with the diets we have, if more of us aren't just losing all our energy to begin with. Nobody has been helped by tough-love talks, only the conscience of the self-satisfied who never cared about anybody but #1 anyway.

A single mother is NOT going to get ahead in this country unless they are EXTREMELY lucky. For a thousand that make it, a million did not.

I like Barack Obama's speech on this topic. For this young lady -- making excuses won't help her. But on the other hand -- we cannot be making excuses for leaving her where she is. YOU should not be putting the onus on someone else. It really disgusts me that I have to tell so many people this -- and I'm not even a Christian. Religion hasn't done a damn thing to make Americans better people, because we don't follow any of those principles of humility and charity. Charity is NOT running a bake sale and giving proceeds to the token poor family. Charity is doing something so that Tracy and people like her get the opportunities you do.

Free healthcare and free education and maybe someplace to leave the kids that isn't a car and maybe we can talk again about getting rid of welfare -- but until then, I'd support 3 times more for people than for bombs.

It takes a lot of self-control for me to put up with moronic Conservative concepts from. which are really justifications from the self-satisfied and greedy. They don't even know what makes themselves tick -- much less the world.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join