It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Raising The Minimum Wage & Stop Whining

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

That should be the group you have to worry the least about. Anyone who works hard can get a full ride to a local state university.

Note that DOES require you working hard, over 4 years, which is why so many prefer to take out loans

And parents need to be more responsible for their children in high school so that they can get a scholarship to college. It requires hard work in high school too. After college and if you work hard enough then that loan will be easy payoff for ya.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I don't think the minimum wage should have been increased. It's promoting the idea that a person can just fly by their education and still get by comfortably. A person who doesn't try doesn't deserve to get by comfortably.

Minimum wage, when I first heard about it, sounded like it should have been a deterrent for those thinking about dropping out of high school or something similar.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by amfirst

Nice thread. I'm most glad that finally one has been created where "working class" people can enter into a discussion. I knew when I started reading that I wouldn't need to post much, just use the star function, because the brilliant minds and honest contributions on here would cover most points. I must have given out at least a dozen stars, and I'm happy to see that so many are indeed informed. However, one seems to be overlooked.

I don't have the references unfortunately, but back during my business school years I ran across some research that basically shows the price raising after minimum wage increases to be a myth. The math doesn't support that at all, and I remember when I saw it having been kind of shocked, because just like many on here I bought into that big right wing lie. Minimum wage, if I am remembering correctly, lags way behind inflation, and even with the correction, still isn't as well as it has been in the past, meaning the lower class is moving further behind, not forward. Perhaps someone reading this has ready access to such research and can provide the references, but it's a common myth held by the right along with the stereotypes of the welfare mom bleeding society.

Let me tell you all something. The ones who are bleeding society are the corporate elites and the military industrial complex just as usual. Look at our budget folks, and look at our history, we spend more on bombs and military campaigns to continue our global oppressive campaigns that do nothing except settle disputes by the extreme wealthy and line the pockets of the rich and we spend more than anyone else and the next handfull of large countries do on their war budgets combined. It's not the poor or the welfare mom that has caused these trillion dollar deficits. Let me repeat that. It's not the poor or the wealthfare mothers who have caused these Bush trillion dollar deficits!

I'm sorry, but there is no coon up this tree. Call the dogs off and sick them on one that offers some kind of real pay off. If your hunting for coon, and you look up the tree and see that there is nothing, why would you continue to sit at the base of this tree?

The trivial raise (I'm saying "trivial" because it doesn't increase enough to keep up with inflation, so they are actually going backwards) in minimum wage, or giving someone food stamps is not breaking the country, it's the international bankers, the oil cartel, Bush's cronies and the military industrial complex who is.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Yes government indeed! And we keep voting them back in, or is it the ones counting the votes that vote them back in? How do you come to get that job

Sure you pay me good enough and you will get reelected Mr. Bush or no problem Mr. Clinton, you just sit back and get a Lewinsky and your in.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
reply to post by winged patriot

Do you have something intelligent to say or are you just getting your kicks at calling posters babies? You sound like the child to me. I'd appreciate it if you could contribute something besides babies. What do you think about the minimum wage increase?

I ain't for it, poor people should get more jobs or die, it ain't me problems.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by winged patriot

Do you have something intelligent to say or are you just getting your kicks at calling posters babies? You sound like the child to me. I'd appreciate it if you could contribute something besides babies. What do you think about the minimum wage increase?

Nobody should die for being poor, middle class, rich etc... That is your ignorance talking to you. I'm am glad you're not for it though. But in this thread people have brought up some good points and I'm feeling better in a way about the increase, but we still need something to solve the other problems that are stacked below the minimum wage pile, like tax reform so companies return to the country, incentives for working hard like tax breaks or bonuses etc...

[edit on 7/25/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Who ever started this blog has some very flawed logic. It dissapoints me to see someone piss on the working class saying how we should get an education. Are you going to fu*king pay for it?! I'm stuck working so much that I have no free time for college because I get paid so little. And who are you anyway? Some rich, educated person who probably had everything handed to yourself. Try working to pay for college, a home, food, gas, car payments, insurance, kids and so on. What good does a low minimun wage do for society? Force the unprivileged into extreme poverty while you claim it is there own fault for not getting an education? We all know how affordable college is now anyway... You don't even support raising the minimun wage to cover the increasing cost of living?

I think you are a smug a$$hole.

You = person that started this thread.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86
reply to post by '___'eviant

ok to reply to you point about the CEO sailing the seas in his yacht while his eomplyees are doing "all the work" for him.

don't you think for a second that that CEO had to bust his ass himseld for a little while before he got to the point of being able to let his money, make him money?

i mean that is the smartest thing a wealthly business can do is to hire people to do the work for him. it's not exploiting anyone to let someone make you more money. hell, it's costing him to have those people do that for him... what he pays them is between him and the employee, if it wasn't enough money for them... they could have kept looking. the employer puts the word out and says, i want someone to do this job, and i will pay them this much.

it's really hillarious to see some of the true colors of people around here... it's simply jealousy, i assure you that rich CEO making 1mil+ a year didn't just start out at the top... everyone starts somewhere... and let me tell you. it's VERY RARELY at the top. so please don't let your own ignorant jealousy cloud your intellectual abilities. if you worked as hard as some of those CEO have to... when it came time that you could afford to hire someone to work FOR you, trust me you would be ready for the retirement too..

Just because someone is a CEO doesnt mean they are entitled to less work. I understand you work hard to get to that point, but why start slacking off after that? How would that attitude reflect on your employe's?

Although this seems to be the case in which the higher you climb the corprate ladder, the more money you make and less work you have to do.
Your lower level worker's for the most part are the backbone to the company. If you didnt have them... there would be no CEO.
Lead by example and save the yacht rides for retirement.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I won't go further into it, but this is like opening up Pandora's box. This issue is huge and vast. Basically, one angle on it is this: The powers that be (put there by corporate monies) want a society that will willfully play along with their game. If you let the working class become to "needy" you risk bread riots and lots of civil unrest like we saw in the massive labor movements, strikes, and situations where by the govn't had come in with the guns and shoot people down...this happened during the 1800's and early 1900's and it wasn't pretty. Now they have minimum wage and they do these trivial increases just when the people start talking and begin to move outside of complacency and apathy...now with rising energy and food prices this is exactly what is happening. The cigar smoking, brandy drinkers on the hill don't want a return to working class organizing and fighting the "system" so they put forward a bill and pass it that will temporarily alleviate the pressure. The people then go back to wall mart with their pay checks on Friday, and return home to TV, and video games, and all the while most think they just got a "decent raise" when in fact they actually fell a bit further behind. The same thing is happening with Social Security and Vet payouts. This is a huge conspiracy and all of us aught to be pissed off 8 ways to Sunday about it!

Another angle comes from the academic study area of "business and society" and has to do with level playing fields for corporations and such, but right now I am so sick to my stomach over these issues, the madness, and the crooked doings that hurt the lower working class the most, that frankly I don't have the heart to type anymore. If you want to know more, start with a Business and Society text book, go to the library and look up some of the research, and read "A People's History of the United States, 1492-PRESENT" by Dr. Howard Zinn.

Here's to the raise...cheers! At least we the people got that. Now we need to start demanding more, we can start at the ballot box this November.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by winged patriot

You sound like Scrooge, only he said go work in factories

But seriously, that's a tad extreme. We shouldn't let people die for being poor. It's sad when it happens, especially with those health insurance guys.

If we weren't spending so much (trillions) on a war and had that put into the country, we wouldn't be having the ecnomy in so much hurt that they needed to raise minimum wage.

It's the guys who don't put in the effort to get an education fault for being lazy (I mean the lazy ones, not the ones who honestly couldn't). It's the government's fault for spending the money in the wrong areas. It's Big Buisness fault for looking for ways to minimize the amount that they have to pay their workers for increased profit.

I think it was the guy who made the Model T who said "The goal of the employer should be to make the highest quality product, paying the highest wage possible"

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

You say your in the airforce? How would you like to get in a accident lose your legs and have them tell you served your purpose your useless now.

Straw man again. He is getting a beating today.

People who have worked for a company for 20-30 years must have some kind of pension. They still get that pension. This is why Chevrolet pays like $1.5k for every car they sell into their retirement plan.

Some say it is greed that companies outsource to Mexico. I say it is the market. If I could make a widget for $3 instead of $7 wouldn't it be logical to make it for $3. You don't start a business making poor choices like paying a union worker $20/hr for a job that takes twice as long as an immigrant can do it and for half the price. The union worker that demands $20/hr and benefits outsourced themselves.

What I don't understand about this debate is that people forget Big Corporations, Unions, and Politicians are all in it for the same thing. You. Why blame just one instead of all?

Conflict of Interest, maybe?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

LOL minimum wage is a joke. Its you republicans that hurt everything . What do you expect people to work that are entry lvl to work for 5.15 an hour.? Gimme a break. Funny how jobs want you to bust your ass for nothing. I say you get what you pay for . If you don't like it Mr employer than get your fat ass in there and work yourself. Tired of you lazy fat bastards talking smack to honest people that try to make a living . BTW if you don't like what i post tough crap . You elected this retard ahhahahah

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
$6.55 LOL

Its $8.50 and moving to $10.10 in Canada next year.

In Australia its aged dependant. Its like $18+.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Yeah, ask Detroit about unions. Now all I see is foreign cars and trucks that are actually better, Maybe it's because the workers and CEO'S spent more time debating labor issues than how to built an efficient vehicle.

Another I want. I want, instead of logical strategy.

[edit on 7/25/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
wow, minimum wage in washington were i live is 8.07 so i feel lucky, being 17 im suprised i have a job at this time. and i agree, people with kids should not be working minimum wage and it is their fault if they get pregnant before saving some money or achieving a career. i personally think women under 25 should not have kids.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

What's worst is that some goods are the same quality or sometimes better than their American counterpart. However, outsourcing jobs overseas to save money but at the same time (about most of the time) lose the quality of the product would be bad business pratice.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join