It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constructive debunking - yes. Stalking and bullying - no.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Though we may get a little frustrated at trying to make sense of an experiencer's post, let's realize now that there is no benefit to after-math stalking or bullying.

I'm shaking my finger at myself too.

Each post the person makes in a new thread should stand alone and they should get a 'fresh start', and treated with kindness and equanimity.

Let's not be bullies and post mockings, or resurrect a .jpg and taunt.

Can we take the high road and not do that which we ourselves would find hurtful?

If I made a mistake and said something stupid, I know you guys would forgive me and we could start fresh.

Every poster on ATS and BTS deserves the same treatment, not just once, but every time.

I hope people will join me in extending the hand of friendship, treat each thread on its own merits, and avoid anything like mocking or bullying. We're better than that.

Together we stand united but apart we are less.

It's a lot to ask, but ATS posters are great and I know we can do it.

Thanks, guys. Don't mean to sound preachy.

-B

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm glad this was brought up I did go off on a mini-rant about this topic in another thread so i'll copy my comments over to here as well. I'm just glad to see a "well respected" member bring it up! (not trying to kiss your butt Badge, but there are a few members (NG is another one) that stand out to me over my years of stalking this site, as actually knowing what they are talking about not just blowing smoke all over)

That being said here's my comment made on the other thread:

"Secondly, just a general pet peeve I've noticewd through out my years of reading thins on here, it really bothers mewhen people are so quick to start ripping apart someone's story just cause they are impatient and don't get the type of proof they want. I agree it's obnoxious to read through 40 pages of garbage (and yes I'm one of the few people who will) just to find out it's a hoax, but I'd say true or not 90% of the time the OP truely believes his/her story, whether it is true or not is always up for debate, but in their head it happened. Maybe instead of attacking the story peole should look further into why the person believes the stroy to be true instead of why it is not true. (Most of the time the answer to the later argument is it doesnt' fit someone's perception of reality so they cry "hoax" w/out supporting evidence) If you have no proof that hte story is false then ask WHY you think it's false or WHY the OP thinks its true.

Lastly, is it just me or when people cry hoax does the thought cross anyone else's head that the person crying hoax is just doing so to derail a thread that may be too close to the truth.

That's my 2 cents from a not so anonymous, anonymous poster so take it for what it's worth "

Thanks for letting me vent in here as well

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Although I'm skeptical of experiencers, I do believe some of them experience "something" out of the ordinary. I try and keep an open mind and not judge people too quickly.

I do admit to some bias in regards to their registration date. For example, someone who has been on ATS for a year and has contributed over 200 posts seems more credible to me than someone who registered a few days ago and their first post is a thread saying- look here I was abducted! The aliens told me this and that... etc.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Good Post Badge!

It's important not to run people off, when truth is what we are striving for!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

There are some experiences that are more credible than others. We should give them a chance to explain themselves and not be afraid to ask question. The person who is writing about their experiences should not risk ridicule if they cannot answer all the answers. They are posting here to try and get some answers too.
Thank you for posting this.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

first off.....im guilty also, but i learn that as time goes on i change, and so do all of you, so a fresh start would be great, this is my point of view as of late, forget what so and so said in that last thread and move on.

peace

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

However, I think the problem is now almost completely solved.

If you choose to venture into The Grey Area you do so at your own peril.

As I understand it, all the highly speculative "Encounters" posts will go in there, no matter where they are started and this will free all the other areas for more substantial cases and logical discussions.

If you don't go in the forum to visit you don't have to be subjected to the majority of what some might call trolling, istm.

For some people maybe that forum will be their bread and butter, but they will be happy and will have their own 'Hog Wallow' of the bizarre and unusual, and it will be a haven for those wishing to post their encounters, free of the majority of criticism. True reporting is still important, as SO outlined. But that will, istm, be the job of the Mods more than that of the regular ATS members. (Speculating here)

It's a win-win situation, IMO, and a brilliant solution by the staff and the Mgmt.

edit spelling - d'oh

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

We should also take a little caution because it could be a younger person who does not want to tell their parents of friends because they will be laughed at. I agree if you write about things you open yourself up to a lot, but it should be kept in mind some people have nowhere else to go.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

of note i took to getting answers out of minnesotawreckingcrew

cause he claimed to have all this great proof and yet led a string for alot of people to follow and that just pissed me off

he wasnt listening to anything anyone was really saying and just kept going off about off topic stuff

so it certain cases i can see this post not counting

but i do see your point

alot of people feel the need to reply to every single post on here for points? or something else? i have no clue

and also the over replying to your own post, its just ridiculous

i pick and choose what i reply to granted there are times when a silly post just needs some sarcasm and a yeah right, and finally a thread closed

im not a post cop

this rant was brought to you by the letter H

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Perhaps then to show truth, those who have gone in the past and torn little pieces off posters who shared experiences with us and ridiculed them into hating themselves for trusting they would get an interested ear, perhaps those people should backtrack and apologize? even if its just a u2u to the member, then your coolness of an image wont be interrupted.

The flaming and downright ignorant responses given by some users has been very unforgivable if you ask me, however saying that i doubt we will see any of them here in this thread asking forgiveness, its not that forgiveness is needed, but show these comments are meant and not just a passing thought.

The genuine ones who shared their experiences poured their hearts out and for what? ridicule from those who are more interested in having a laugh at their expense than denying ignorance, sure not all is true, i guarantee some of it is though, and the truthful ones i doubt will share again any time soon, we are members of this site for a reason, read the label, we share something wonderful here, lets not kill it.

This post is not directed at any single member, those guilty should know if they where wrong to do it in the first place.

Good thread at least some are willing to be counted.

All of us want a truth of one kind or another.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've generally held the view that if you are nice and allow a person to reveal all they have to reveal, you can most-times get them to either hang themselves with their own rope if they're lying, or convince others that they're legit and experienced something real.

What would it matter to the thread, my opinion of the event, if I haven't heard all there is to hear? Wait to post. Ask questions. Be civil and relaxed. Coax the lie, or the truth, from him/her. Telling someone you think their story is road apples serves no-one but your ego anyways. It doesn't matter what you think with a thread telling of a personal experience. As soon as you say "I think...." in a re-telling thread, you are pulling a topic away from it's intention.

Debunkers- Wait. Let him/her relate it all. Ask questions.

Believers- Wait. Let him/her relate it all. Ask questions.

Both camps get satisfaction in the end, if it's done right.

My $.02

And yes, I understand the irony of telling you all what I think here.

Cuhail

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If we treat every member of ATS with high regard, carry along no baggage, give a fresh start, and hold them as 'special' just being here, I think they will surprise us and rise to the occasion.

It's a theory of management, like catching someone 'doing something right' and giving props, rather than dwelling on the 'wrong'.

If I see a member posting something in another forum, I want to feel free to give him/her a star and not be thinking 'well, I'd star them, but they said a dumb thing somewhere else'.

I say, a star is a star and I don't want to be dragging baggage around, or dragging someone else's baggage around. Gradually people will realize 'hey, no one is taunting or baggage dragging or bullying me', but they'll also know their post stands on its own and starring it here doesn't give approval in the other area of what might be perceived as sillyness.

It could be a freeing experience for everyone, and promote an over all esprit de corps. You're an ATS member and you get my backing and though I might not agree with you, now you have a place (TGA) and a right (or supportive environment) to say it. (Within T&C).

Thanks to everyone backing this idea and my opening post to the best of their ability. It's what ATS has always been about anyway, so nothing new. I appreciate it, and I support you guys, too.

Like I say, a win/win.

We might be a rag-tag group, everyone here on ATS, but we all stick together, fighting evil and supporting independent films and local music!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Its dually noted to give every new member a chance to prove their case, but these member who post up threads of experience, random questions of experience, random UFO/Alien questions regarding video games, and etc are getting out of hand as they are basically repeating and asking the same topic which can be viewed sometimes only a few threads down near the bottom of the page.

Every time that I want to post a topic I would search the database on ATS using the "SEARCH" function to see something similar exists and read up on that info. If something does exist but hasn't been discussed for awhile a new thread can be started for fresh ideas/angles of discussion. But to start threads over and over on similar topics shouldn't be tolerated.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Perhaps then to show truth, those who have gone in the past and torn little pieces off posters who shared experiences with us and ridiculed them into hating themselves for trusting they would get an interested ear, perhaps those people should backtrack and apologize? even if its just a u2u to the member, then your coolness of an image wont be interrupted.

I'd support this notion of apology. If you feel wronged and have proof now, U2U me or anyone. On an individual level people are pretty empathetic and tolerant.

Anyone that has posted a thread (which has not been declared a hoax with the [hoax] tags), or anyone with new evidence, or anyone who feels they have been wronged and now can show evidence, I'd be willing to look into an apology or retract comments. I probably would even be willing to do a blanket apology. Since these things can be highly subjective, it's HARD to get evidence. So I'm empathetic.

Still, my POV and experience is that of hard science and a 'show me' approach. So if you want to post stuff, use the new TGA forum. If you specifically want to convince ME, then that might be require more.

2 cents.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Badge01]

top topics

join