It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Makes $5 Million Olympics Ad Buy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Obama Makes $5 Million Olympics Ad Buy

www.huffingtonpost.com

It's official. Sen. Barack Obama's campaign will be among the TV sponsors of NBC Universal's Olympics coverage. In the first significant network-TV buy of any presidential candidate in at least 16 years, the Obama campaign has taken a $5 million package of Olympics spots that includes network TV as well as cable ads.

According to NBC's political file, the campaign had initially requested information about 500,000, $2 million and $4 million package of Olympics spots. The network also offered the candidate a $10 million package.

Ben Smith notes, "The buy, AdAge editor Ken Wheaton emails, makes Obama the first candidate since Bob Dole in 1996 to go with national broadcast advertising."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You almost have to feel sorry for John McCain at this stage of the game... I am not even sure announcing his VP pick then would help him all that much.

He is being outspent and out manuvered every which way but loose and the conventions haven't even happened yet.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If I were running for President of the World, where would I buy advertising? Yes! The Olympics!

Problem is that Obama is running for President of the United States. And other than following the United States Basketball team, for some reason I don't think the Olympics are going to get that much ratings.

Note: 1st candidate since Bob Dole to go National. You remember what happened to Bob Dole?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

You don't get it do you? He is not buying ads to broadcast world wide he is buying ad time during the Olympics to broadcast here.

Bob Dole (like John McCain) was dead in the water from the getgo so your comparison means nothing.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is anybody else having problems with the reply to button?

Anyway.....

Reply to Grover:

If John McCain is dead in the water, then why is Obama spending 5 million dollars on national advertising?

If John McCain is dead in the water, why is he virtually tied with Obama in the polls?

Historically the Democrat candidate always have a much bigger lead in the polls before the Conventions. Even Dukakis had a 15-20% lead at this time in 1988, and we all remember that blowout. Even ALGORE and John Kerry had larger leads in the polls during their failed runs.

5 million dollars on the Olympics is one thing. Let him spend 5 million dollars on the World Series, and that would be a different story.

Olympics are televised by NBC, a huge Obama supporter. World Series will be televised by FOX, but Obama is scared of FOX so that probably won't happen. In politics you take care of your co-conspirators, and shun your enemies. So the Olympics ad buy makes perfect sense!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Great move on Obama's part. Im hoping this next election will have a record number of votes, far exceeding the last elections.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
McCain is dead in the water because the economy sucks.
McCain is dead in the water because(other than the few die hards) are sick of bushes policies including the war.
McCain is dead in the water because he cannot compete financially with Obama.
McCain is dead in the water because because he has alienated his base (even RR doesn't like him... much less the funnymentalists).
McCain is dead in the water because the Republicans are going to lose big time this election cycle in congress and the states.
McCain is dead in the water because he makes no effort to reach out to younger voters.
McCain is dead in the water because traditional power shifts after two terms.
McCain is dead in the water because the tide is turning against the failed Republican policies of cater to the rich and screw the middle class and poor.

Need I go on?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
McCain is dead in the water because the economy sucks.
McCain is dead in the water because(other than the few die hards) are sick of bushes policies including the war.
McCain is dead in the water because he cannot compete financially with Obama.
McCain is dead in the water because because he has alienated his base (even RR doesn't like him... much less the funnymentalists).
McCain is dead in the water because the Republicans are going to lose big time this election cycle in congress and the states.
McCain is dead in the water because he makes no effort to reach out to younger voters.
McCain is dead in the water because traditional power shifts after two terms.
McCain is dead in the water because the tide is turning against the failed Republican policies of cater to the rich and screw the middle class and poor.

Need I go on?

You can stop there. I could make a similar list about Obama...I won't...but what I will do is file this thread and many others like it and bring them back on November 5th. I know it won't matter, because even if McCain wins in a landslide it will be because the election was stolen. Not because Obama is a buffoon, and is only in this race because of his race.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
No he is only in this race because he out manuvered Hillary Clinton... his race is not the key factor.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Kind of drifted off topic. This is not a Obama vs McCain issue. It's about Obama wanting to be President of the World by unprecidently spending so much money on national advertising with NBC.

The World Series takes place in October, before the election, and is sure to get more viewers than the Olympics....But the World Series is aired by FOX.

The question is...Obama is buying 5 million dollars in advertising from a network (NBC) that worships him.

Will he do this for FOX and the World Series? Or is the ad buy from NBC just a payoff for their favorable coverage?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Didn't Lord Messiah Obama want Bush to boycott the Olympics in China? Yet he wants to spend 5 million dollars on Olympics ads? Hypocracy? Or just a payoff to NBC for favorable coverage?

[edit on 2-8-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow, another blatent show of hypocracy is right.

Now we are starting to see why Obama pulled out of Public Funding and wanted to use his private contributions from Hollywood, Investment bankers and Green Energy executives.

Is Obama a good judge of money? Spending 5 million$ on an ad to air during the Olymipics is absolutely rediculous. What a waste of money.

Obama is running for President of the world and not just the USA. He wants other countries watching the Olympics to see him pushing his "Hope, Change and Unity" for the world.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Actually the move is brilliant, the Olympics will be watched day and night all over the US so that will give him advantage to reach a more sizable population than local ads.

If anybody knows why is so much money invested in the Olympics advertising space you will know the reason why Obama chose to spend that cash on an ad.

[edit on 2-8-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Dead in the water? Guess that makes Obama dead also, right?

www.politico.com...

Gallup Poll Daily Tracking: Obama-44% McCain-44%

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble on the McCain hopefuls but the dinosaur has not chance against Obama, unless the elections are steal for him or the supreme court appoints McCain the president like it did in 2000 with Bush.

And I am not in favor of any of them.

Is just reality.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Brilliant move! Gives me a reason to watch the Olympics!

And a quick geography lesson reveals.... Yes! The US is indeed a part of the World!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Be very very careful, that you do not gloat, it was once written, Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sorry to burst the bubble on the McCain hopefuls but the dinosaur has not chance against Obama, unless the elections are steal for him or the supreme court appoints McCain the president like it did in 2000 with Bush

Have you looked at the un-tampered non-MSNBC polls?? They are dead-locked.

Obama is hardly close to winning the election. If fact, he has been losing it for awhile. He lost his 9 point spread. McCain hasn't lost anything.

Brilliant move??

If McCain had done these, we'd here about it like:

"5 million?? That money could be used for people in Africa - what a selfish-arrogant old man!!"

Obama could piss in the wind and tell you it was raining and you'd believe that too.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Be very very careful, that you do not gloat, it was once written, Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

I don't think they cannot gloat beforehand. That's just a natural attribute that runs in their defective genes.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Interesting to see that even with the corruption in our own political system people still stand by their corrupted political candidates to the death.

Pitiful.

Still reality bites and what a bite it leaves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join