It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq banned from Beijing Games, says NOC official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Iraq banned from Beijing Games, says NOC official

sports.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD, July 24 (Reuters) - Iraq have been banned from taking part in the Beijing Olympics because of a government decision to disband the country’s National Olympic Committee, a senior official of the committee said on Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Not much more to add. I doubt they would of won any medals but I am sure some Iraqi athletes would of liked to have tried... Too bad the American Federal Empire refused to let them try...

sports.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

I dont know about that.
I bet they would have given the hundred meter dash a good shot.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

You rat fink! I wanted to score some points for posting news and you beat me to it!

I have to tell you, this really makes me wonder about Titor's prediction, especially on the heels of the MSM picking up Mitchell's statement regarding UFO's.

Things are getting pretty interesting around here. Will the rest of the planet boycott due to the unfairness of the ban? Will Iraq's athletes participate under the flag of a different country?

Boy, oh boy, this is juicy stuff, but only because of Titor.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

OF course I am following the Olympic news closely. Yeah everything seems to be against China. Terrorist bus bombings, Earthquakes, Pollution, Themselves.... I really REALLY do not see it happening in two weeks.

I mean Iraq basicly is not going because of the AFE. They went to the 2004 Olympics so what is different about this one? WE SAY SO thats what...

Its a freaking low down dirty shame... Those people don't have alot to begin with... Now they can add this to the list of american fubars.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well, I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but I don't have a problem with them hopping aboard with the US.

Maybe I'm crazy, but these poor athletes are refuges in the sports world. We've blown up their country. I think we should show some class and invite them to participate with us.

Screw the politics. This is about human beings and personal achievement.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't see what gives them the right to ban Iraq from the games?

Did Iraq go to war with China over night when i was sleeping

What would China have done if we baned them from the Games in Sydney,they would have been very pi**** off

This makes me mad

Maybe i should read before i jump in feet first

[edit on 24-7-2008 by duffster]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

It is the IOC that said no Iraq in 2008. Another link

Basicly the Iraqi government (The US/AFE) kicked out the officaly elected and recognized Olympic representatives and appointed some yahoos that the IOC did not recognize... Thus disqualifying from being able to participate...

Another easy win for the US...(SARC)

Here you can read all the events Iraq planned to send athletes to compete in before they got ripped off.

[edit on 10/18/2007 by titorite]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As I recall, Uday Hussein, Saddam's elder son was in charge of the Iraqi Olympic Committee before the invasion and we all know how well he treated Iraq's athletes.

There's stories he tortured the soccer team after a failed match and that he would beat the feet of Iraq's national runners for not failing to make required times.
I mean seriously, even if Iraq was allowed to compete do you think they would?
Who would they have to show for them more importantly?
Any of their once notable athletes have probably gone elsewhere to showcase their talents, to teams or nations who actually reward them for winning, lol
It's not like they had some underground athletic community that was just brimming with untapped talent.

I know it's about the principle of the thing, but I don't think the Iraqis blood is going to boil over this.

[edit on 24/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
As I recall, Uday Hussein, Saddam's elder son was in charge of the Iraqi Olympic Committee before the invasion and we all know how well he treated Iraq's athletes.

There's stories he tortured the soccer team after a failed match and that he would beat the feet of Iraq's national runners for not failing to make required times.

Your recollection is shoddy and your comments seem to be made out of ignorance.

Allow me to guide you to wiki. Iraq in 2004
Just one year after the invasion when things were even worse than today..

And they never competed in the winter Olympics because the winter Olympics is lame!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I say everyone boycotts the olympics. I will not be watching them.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

How is my recollection shoddy?
Allow me to guide you to your beloved source of information:
en.wikipedia.org...-3

Saddam later appointed Uday head of the Iraqi Olympic committee, and subsequently the head of one of Saddam's security organizations. In the former role he tortured athletes who failed to win.

Here more proof: www.news24.com...

And that link you gave me showed me exactly what I expected.
Zero Medals and none of their athletes advanced past the first event...

Who's being ignorant now?
I'm not saying they shouldn't compete, I'm saying, would they want to?
I don't honestly think is this the big deal everyone's blowing it out to be...

So what Iraq doesn't compete, Iraq has BIGGER problems to worry about than the Olympic Games.
Most Iraqis don't own television sets just so you know, I'd doubt they could even watch the games if their country participated. Let alone have clean drinking water and have to worry about whether a 500 pound bomb is going to drop on their heads while they sleep at night.

Get your head out of the sand.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

If you had clicked on some of the other links then you would know that YES they would of competed. The Olympics is something that is supposed to be bigger than wars and strife. It doesn't matter so much that one wins or loses so long as one knows they tried their best.

Of course Iraq has other problems to worry about but that does not mean they are happy about being expelled from Olympic participation. Something that could of given them hope and pride has been denied to them.

Get your head outta your moon The Godfather of Conspira

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Its actually not the first time a nation has been banned from participating in the Olympics. I think what makes this case more unique is the fact that the US is the one who is occupying it. I don't know if every piece of propaganda I read about Uday was true... But I do know that Iraq wanted to goto the Olympics this year even if they had no chance at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

How is my recollection shoddy?
Allow me to guide you to your beloved source of information:
en.wikipedia.org...-3

Saddam later appointed Uday head of the Iraqi Olympic committee, and subsequently the head of one of Saddam's security organizations. In the former role he tortured athletes who failed to win.

Here more proof: www.news24.com...

And that link you gave me showed me exactly what I expected.
Zero Medals and none of their athletes advanced past the first event...

Who's being ignorant now?
I'm not saying they shouldn't compete, I'm saying, would they want to?
I don't honestly think is this the big deal everyone's blowing it out to be...

So what Iraq doesn't compete, Iraq has BIGGER problems to worry about than the Olympic Games.
Most Iraqis don't own television sets just so you know, I'd doubt they could even watch the games if their country participated. Let alone have clean drinking water and have to worry about whether a 500 pound bomb is going to drop on their heads while they sleep at night.

Get your head out of the sand.

Most Iraqi's don't own TV sets? That is a huge misconception. A lot of families in Iraq own TV sets but they have better things to do then sit glued to their sets.

Iraq's soccer team was doing pretty well this year. They won the Asian cup beating Saudi Arabia 1-0. Why shouldn't those athletes get to play in the Olympics. I do understand that Olympic soccer is no fun to watch, but it is like you traveling really far to see a sold out hockey game and once you get there you realize you forgot your tickets.

Iraq's weightlifters are pretty tough. Although the last time Iraq won a medal was I think 1956.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Indeed to think that people in Iraq are back water stone age cave dweller without access to TV or electricity to power said TV is kinda narrow minded.
Iraq was the most modern westernized nation in the middle east before we invaded. After the occupation they have lost alot but one thing they could hang on to with a sense of national pride was their Olympic athletes.

But for some reason the government we installed kicked out their INOC in appointed new guys without following proper procedure. To say nothing of the few INOC peeps that disappeared ala Blackwater. The mainstream say sunni #e internal strife but this being ATS I am gonna suggest Blackwater had a hand in it.

It is a shame.... They trained but for nothing and now that potential pride is gonna turn into resentment and anger...Sad, very sad.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
So sad the curroption in the puppet government destroy's lives, not with bombs and bullets but with destroying hopes and dreams.

She's trained, qualified and managed to avoid danger and keep her head above water, for the hope of just walking on stage and being recognised.

how sad she wont get that chance.
She did make a good comment thought,

How does she know if she'll even be alive for 2012 olympics?

She would of been the pride of her nation under Saddam, he would of talked about her in public.
Now, she's in tears.. because our 'democratically' elected government is still, and always will be a sham!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

A lot of families in Iraq own TV sets but they have better things to do then sit glued to their sets.

Exactly my point.
Iraq's got enough on it's plate with out being concerned about whether they can compete in the games.

Iraq was the most modern westernized nation in the middle east before we invaded.

Ahhh sorry? Most Westernised?
No offence

You ever heard of Dubai? UAE? Jordan? Turkey? Bahrain? Kuwait?
Those moderate, "Westernised" Middle Eastern nations.

Before the war, all those UN Sanctions had made Iraq one of the poorest countries in the world. It had a lower GDP than some West African countries.
www.whitehouse.gov...

And your definition of "Westernised" is a tad off.
You consider a secret police network, torture chambers, state-run propaganda and one of the most brutal dictators in Modern History akin to Westernised nations?
Yeah 60,000 Iraqis killed by Saddam, oh he was a Western-orientated guy alright.

I don't think so.

But for some reason the government we installed kicked out their INOC in appointed new guys without following proper procedure.

Don't blame the Chinese then.
Blame the US.

It is a shame.... They trained but for nothing and now that potential pride is gonna turn into resentment and anger...Sad, very sad.

A shame indeed, all that untapped potential and wasted talent, but I'm merely saying, Iraq has better things to concern itself with than Gold, Silver & Bronze, don't you agree?

[edit on 25/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
So sad the curroption in the puppet government destroy's lives, not with bombs and bullets but with destroying hopes and dreams.

She's trained, qualified and managed to avoid danger and keep her head above water, for the hope of just walking on stage and being recognised.

how sad she wont get that chance.
She did make a good comment thought,

How does she know if she'll even be alive for 2012 olympics?

She would of been the pride of her nation under Saddam, he would of talked about her in public.
Now, she's in tears.. because our 'democratically' elected government is still, and always will be a sham!

And under Saddam she would have been tortured, possibly killed if she had not won a medal.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thats just Flat out Wrong!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join