It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant planet with iron raindrops found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hey! They found hell!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Typical stupid media, they never focus on what is important.

This is the first time ever that they've ever SEEN an extra-solar planet, sure it's little more than seeing mercury cross our sun, but still it is a visible object.

Before it was isolated to discovery by the sun's wobble but now they viewd it cross the path of light of the star...amazing.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Cool. This is great news. Who knows how many planets they will find using this technique.

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
This is the first time ever that they've ever SEEN an extra-solar planet,

Did you even read the link?

I mean really FM, when we ask people to think before they post, especially in S&T, we mean it.

From the CNN article: "A team from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics found the planet orbiting a star 5,000 light years away by detecting the slight dimming of light caused as the planet moved between the star and telescopes on Earth."

So... the planet was not observed... it's effect was.

Is it late? Are you tired?

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Oh yes the dimming, this is merely a case of jumping the gun william, sh.it this crap is beggining to get annoying. Who cares if I misinterpreted the "diming" that is a sense the same damn thing it is still a leap forward. And still as I pointed out, under appreciated by the article.

Reading is not my forte (I even show signs of dyslexia) so I'd thank you not to get so damn pissy over a small bit of excitement.

Hell this is quite easy to explain anyways....you read an article and one line says "saw dimming" ok...you read the rest of the article, rather than quoting that or some crap your brain simply thinks dimming, well that must mean something crossed it, which means they could see its shadow. It's simple tricks of memory that everyone has.

Sincerely,
no signature

[Edited on 8-1-2003 by FreeMason]

posted on Jan, 7 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
If you don't bother reading then how can you expect to understand the thread. Surely you can understand why people get upset, when you post misinterpretations and outright fantasies. All this could be solved if you bothered to read.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Then FM... "think before you post" is a motto that should be displayed in 300 pt type right above your computer.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Mad, William,

My god, you people are just to childish. Lay off already. You come in here and post completley OFF topic, just to attack FM. In the award post, you guy's attack FM, I defend him, and you tell us to stay on topic....

Try using your OWN damned advice.

THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!

It's also not to hard to see how he interpreted that article. Try growing up abit already....

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Mr. JamesG... we're pointing out error in the nature of FM's response. An all too-often task of late.

And JamesG, you display repeated displeasure with the staff of this website. Do you always have issues with those in authority/control or is this attribute of yours limited to this fine community?

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I believe his displeasure is not with the job that you do but with how you present yourselves.

I think he's reminding you and others that you are "staff" as you put it. you work for us, we're gratefull that you do the job, and apreciate it when you do a good job but your still working for us, not the other way around.

for example, would you continue to eat in a resteraunt if the kitchen staff kept coming up to your table and going "oooo I wouldn't have ordered that, you really should get better table manners, don't eat with your mouth full" etc.

its not their place.

personally I used to mod a forum, I made sure that if I actually posted on the forum I did it under a different name because frankly a wise mod is seen and NOT heard.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   
In reality, we work for Simon, attempting to manage the type of community he originally designed. You participate by choice.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
William,

I think Lupe summed it up pretty good. It's one thing to point out error's, another to outright attack. You didn't just point out an error, you outright attacked. This, from a mod/admin is unnacceptable behavior and shouldn't be tolerated. It's your job to maintian ORDER not cause chaos and problem's for other's, as your doing.

You came in here fully off topic, just to attack FM. It's old and childish and need's to stop. Your a mod, if you can't handle the job your SUPPOSED to be doing, then by all means step down and continue being childish.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Erm James, I guess you and Lupe (and FM for that matter) are pretty new here. So you really don't know what you are talking about. If forums, and posters, are left unmoderated, they fill up with lies and personal attacks. Garbage posts. We garbage men have to clean that crap up. If you are not able to post decent posts, then don't bother, maybe you can sit back and read a while, instead of feeling the need to add your 2 cents to everything, even if you have no idea of the topic being discussed.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesG
William,

I think Lupe summed it up pretty good. It's one thing to point out error's, another to outright attack.

As I stated elsewhere...

Must I remind you that it is not up to you to determine what task moderators are to accomplish? Nor is it your role to establish if any given moderator is doing their job appropriately. By no slight means are you remotely connected to establishing any level of policy in Above Top Secret.

I strongly warn you to cease this currently disruptive path you are taking within threads. If you have serious issues with the staff in-place, either take them up with Simon, or begin a responsible thread on the subject in the XMB forum. Do not sully threads with your repeated attacks on forum staff.

This is your last warning on the topic.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
JamesG, you are fairly hypocritical as you are now 'personally attacking' Kano. Kano's annoyance at FM is well founded in fact. What's to stop people from posting garbage willy-nilly ? Nothing except the mods. They aren't in a popularity contest and are not here to bend to the whims of free members.
Members should contribute to the knowledge of ATS, not dispute facts and make up things to suit their post !!

top topics

join