It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freestyle Meditation

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Does anyone have any comments on a meditation that could help with insomnia? I'm sure all the numerous meditations mentioned will help one sleep better, but in the event that you're lying awake and it's already late what do you do right then?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
Does anyone have any comments on a meditation that could help with insomnia? I'm sure all the numerous meditations mentioned will help one sleep better, but in the event that you're lying awake and it's already late what do you do right then?

The Meditations mentioned dont necessarily help with insomnia because they increase your wakefulness/level of energy.

In my opinion insomnia comes from the false belief-pattern "I have to sleep", even though you are not tired. In a more natural pattern of behaviour you would only go to sleep when you CAN sleep. If you cant sleep, that means you should not sleep but do something else (for example meditate or read a book or watch a movie or something).

But since society conditions us that we HAVE TO sleep when its dark and in order to be awake for our Job, we berate ourselves for not sleeping.

If I cant sleep, I dont. And if Im tired the next day, at least I WILL be able to sleep the next night.

If, despite this, you still want to meditate yourself into sleep, try this:

Spot 3 places on your body. Spot 3 places outside of your body.

Example:

Nose.

Right Foot.

Spine.

Car parked outside.

Ceiling.

Seattle Skyline.

Left Foot.

Pelvis.

Forehead.

Lamp across the room.

The seats of that Car.

Neighbours rooms.

(Eyes closed or open doesnt matter)

Repeat this 3-3 pattern endlessly. This will lead to increased well-being and relaxation and may also eventually lead to an out-of-body-experience. In this way you have USED insomnia to initiate OOBE.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I was thinking more along the lines of Badge's meditations leading to sleeping well. Guess I should have made that clearer :p.

Would you mind explaining how the 3-in/3-out exercise can lead to an OOBE? I'm very curious.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I was thinking more along the lines of Badge's meditations leading to sleeping well. Guess I should have made that clearer :p.

Total physical exhaustion will help.

Would you mind explaining how the 3-in/3-out exercise can lead to an OOBE? I'm very curious.

Thanks for the reply.

If you repeatedly put your consciousness outside and inside your body over a longer period of time (while falling asleep), this eventually leads to a loosening of your energy-body and the "going outside" becoming automatic and you aware of it.

We leave our body every night (imo) but are mostly not aware of it.

Edit-to-add: Nice avatar sc2099.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Edit-to-add: Nice avatar sc2099.

Thanks!
I channel Scarlett when I want to be tough, determined, flirty, attractive, or ingenuitive. She's my hero.

I will definitely give the 3-in/3-out a try. I find myself in that position a lot but I feel guilty getting back up and reading ATS or whatever. It's stupid, I know, to feel guilty about such a thing, but like you said I feel like I should be sleeping.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

We leave our body every night (imo) but are mostly not aware of it.

Yes, at night you give up your physical body, and you take your subtle body and you go and do whatever work you need to. Mine are rarely random, I go and spend time in temples in other dimensions, or hone my telekenic and other powers. I am aware I am asleep the whole time. Lucid.

I've trained myself to go into alpha rapidly, I can order my body unconscious within 3 to 4 seconds. From there I can go to full normal sleep by ordering my brain to do it. Fully awake in bed to fully in asleep 30 seconds.

To get started just tense all muscles hard, then let them go. let yourself collapse, every single muscle. Let go. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. Count down, body getting warmer eye muscles softening. Ugh. Yawn. Ahhh. 5 4 3 .... you are asleep. Yawn.

Best Wishes. (Did you yawn
) Go to bed :|

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLight

To get started just tense all muscles hard, then let them go. let yourself collapse, every single muscle. Let go. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. Count down, body getting warmer eye muscles softening. Ugh. Yawn. Ahhh. 5 4 3 .... you are asleep. Yawn.

Do give sc2099 a hand at...at....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueLight

That actually did make me yawn! What would I do without ATS? Haha I can't remember what I did with myself before it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Hi Skyfloating. Thanks for the thread. I've never pursued meditation in any form or from any teacher. However, I touch on it while taking a martial arts class while in high school; at that time, I thought it was boring. A year later, still living at home, we had just got done with the chores, I went outside to take a short break, I sat on the bumper of the hay truck; the sun was low, practically setting but not quite and the weather was becoming cooler. Perfect weather, for a lack of a better word.

As I sat there, I just began to completely relaxed as the sun hit my face, I stared at something on the ground for a min. The next thing I experienced I almost can't explain. I was as if, my mind didn't have a thought about anything and looking at that spot on the ground was the most peace I had in VERY long time. The more I stared at the spot, the more peace I became.

I'm not sure how long I was there, but time seemed to stop. I don't remember feeling my body but I wasn't having an OOBE either since I didnt see myself outsdise myself. Next thing that happened was, I thought I was hearing something, but I couldn't make it out what it was. it was like an echo in my mind, which became louder and louder until my brother was shaking me say.."(my name).. you ok..!" in a normal than louder tone of voice.

I 'snapped' out of it, realizing I had daydreamed; but, I wasn't 'dreaming' about anything. In my mind I was like ..'whoa!...that was cool!!" I looked at my brother and he was looking at me with a concerning look.. "i'm ok" I said...."are you sure.. cuz you looked like zombie with you staring off into space at the ground man...WT*.. I had to shake you to 'wake' you up ..but your eyes were open.." ...

The only thing about meditation that concerns me is when you open your mind you are opening your mind to alot of stuff that you wouldn't normally. Spirits/demons. I know I can get around this with my experience in dealing with the same. However, it is a concern.

I have to go now. talk to you more about this later..
S&F for ya

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

btw .. I totally LOVE your profile with the dolphins~!!! I'm envious!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by TrueLight

That actually did make me yawn! What would I do without ATS? Haha I can't remember what I did with myself before it.

Hehe no worries, you are an intelligent person. That was the test. When you go to bed, try tensing your muscles hard for 10 seconds, scrunch fascial muscles too. Then let go all at once as if you just passed out. Let your muscles soften. First in your legs, then stomach, then back , chest , neck. Take a deep breath, hold it in , then let out a massive sigh, do that 3 or 4 times. You want to sleep. You can sleep. You are in control of when you sleep. Close your eyes gently and picture the number 100 in white. You are going to count down from 100. As the numbers slowly count down your muscles let go. The muscles in your eyes soften. The muscles in your face and jaw let go. View the numbers in your mind. 99 all tension starting to go. Let go....98 body feeling warmer.................97......................feeling more relaxed with each number that passes. 96.........................................................................drifting off......

you will find that by the time you get to 96, there are no more numbers. You will wake up feeling great. Sleep tight.

Best Wishes

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That's what I do too. I tense as hard as I can and then release quickly a few times. It really makes you conscious of the difference. I also take a hot bath, and put my ears underwater and just float. It drowns out the noise, and the heat makes me tired. I just lay there and visualize pleasant things. Sometimes I also go outside and take a few deep breaths and then get back into bed. Or, I get up and go do something until I really am tired like Skyfloating said. I agree that you shouldn't sleep if you aren't tired. I have gotten up at weird times in the morning too, I tend not to be a clock watcher and I do not wear a watch.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I had to shake you to 'wake' you up ..but your eyes were open.." ...

I wish he hadnt shaken you out of it. The state is rare and very special.

It usually happens when you dont expect it. So if I were to sit down and meditate in order to "get" that state, I probably wouldnt.. You dont get IT, it gets YOU...during meditation.

The only thing about meditation that concerns me is when you open your mind you are opening your mind to alot of stuff that you wouldn't normally. Spirits/demons. I know I can get around this with my experience in dealing with the same. However, it is a concern.

That kind of stuff can only happen when you´re extremely unbalanced. Meditatation is the exact opposite of being unbalanced. So the last thing thats going to happen during meditation is possession. If anything concerning other "beings" happens during meditation, its not possession but communication.

"Entity-Possession" usually happens in states of shock and trauma...something very far away from Meditation. So, nothing to worry about there.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I got a hint from someone that the OP might be able to give me some pointers in regard with my question.

Although i did in fact get an answer on my original question (how to get tot the visualizing part of meditating) i do wonder how to get into the deep meditative state, i just discovered i practically never been there

So time to change that i'd think. To do list: Sit comfortable, control the breathing, monitor the thoughts stay calm and a lot of patience i think?

Anyway, are there physical/mental effects that let me know that i'm on the right track? Sometimes i get a sort of shifting feeling in the body, purple spots blobbing in and out of existence and other things that at least feel like a different state. Does tiredness help/have a adverse effect on getting into the deep state? Does it matter what you eat before trying to meditate?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harman
I got a hint from someone that the OP might be able to give me some pointers in regard with my question.

Is that so?

i do wonder how to get into the deep meditative state, i just discovered i practically never been there
So time to change that i'd think. To do list: Sit comfortable, control the breathing, monitor the thoughts stay calm and a lot of patience i think?

Thats old-school practice, but certainly not wrong. Its in the details though: Rather than a "to-do-list" meditation is about non-doing, ceasing to do. If anything at all is "done" then only one thing and one thing only.

Sorry for being strict with words, but its in the way that things are phrased you can detect someones approach toward meditation.

Same goes for the other words you are using.

"Sit comfortable". Yes, either that, or lie down or sit any other way you want. While it helps to have an upright spine, body position is ultimately secondary.

"Control Breathing". The word "control" is a bit too hard, imo. Also, it depends on what type of meditation you are practicing. There are hundreds of ways to meditate and not all involve guiding or paying attention to your breathing. Only some do.

"Monitor Thoughts". Only if you´re going to use that specific method of meditation. A quicker way to calm your thought-stream is to look at something other than your thoughts, such as an object outside yourself. Also "monitor" is a bit too strong. When using this specific method, you gently and softly observe without expectation, without judgement, without reaction. Once you can observe a thought or a stream of thoughts in that way, they gradually begin to dissipate (they may become stronger or louder before they dissipate though).

If, on the other hand, you are using "focussing on something" methods, there´s two ways to do this: You either observe something with a soft, receptive gaze for a long time, or focus in a single-pointed manner. The two approaches have results that are different from each other.

Yet another way to reach a certain depth (in case you have difficulty with either the thought-observation or the focussing) is to repeat a mantra or phrase or song until you´re mind is clear from surface-thought.

Anyway, are there physical/mental effects that let me know that i'm on the right track? Sometimes i get a sort of shifting feeling in the body, purple spots blobbing in and out of existence and other things that at least feel like a different state. Does tiredness help/have a adverse effect on getting into the deep state? Does it matter what you eat before trying to meditate?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me

Well...various physical and emotional effects, such as the ones you describe, are an indicator that something is happening...despite you having ceased to make anything happen.

And thats one of the pillars on which meditation stands: You quit making things happen and instead allow them to happen by themselves. Heightened states of awareness and ability are natural to us and come all by themselves if we quit interfering with our constant mind-chatter.

Tiredness is irrelevant...sometimes its there, sometimes its not. Before meditating you shouldnt eat too much (otherwise you´ll feel heavy and earthbound), but not too little (otherwise getting a hungry or dissatisfied body will be a distraction).

Also: Take some time to read some of the stuff people have posted on this thread. More quality posted by members here than in most books.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Is that so?

Thats old-school practice, but certainly not wrong. Its in the details though: Rather than a "to-do-list" meditation is about non-doing, ceasing to do. If anything at all is "done" then only one thing and one thing only.

[...]

Also: Take some time to read some of the stuff people have posted on this thread. More quality posted by members here than in most books.

I read the topic and you are right, there are a couple of nice ones in there. Thanks for the explanation, it's greatly appreciated. And 'aimless' meditation brings ya where you are 'not' trying to go.

Anyway, enough info here to keep me going for a while, i'll find my right way eventually. Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Curious what you guys think about alternative modes of inner monologue, eg, 'thinking in music', or unvocalized glossolalia. Or other 'tricks' for separating attention from internal narration?

In experience, how useful in meditation process?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Not bad. Way I see it, you are implying that meditation per se is nothing but a tool to accomplish certain goal, which is increased self-awerness.

I've been given a specific way to understand the "occult" and I'll pass it on here, I am sorry if this is nothing new and been explained here earlier:

I think that the ultimate way to achieve this is establishing the connection with your subconsciousness. To achieve this connection, meditation - which comes as pointed out in OP, in many forms - is one of the most important tool to many, but not to everyone. Some people are quite capable of achieving the interconscious awerness without any meditation, just by snapping fingers, so to speak. Of course, these types are rare and they have - in my opinion at least - higher selfawareness.

According to C.G. Jung, during the sleep one is connected with one's subconsciousness. Sometimes dreams can foretold events, and in the way I see it, this is perfectly logical. Imagine for a while, that just like we inherit our appearence and physical properties largely from our ancestor through the genetical inheritance, our brainstructure is partly also inherited. Keeping this in mind, one could assert that we inherit specific patterns of psycholigical behaviour which does not work on conscious level. But in dreams we can access this information, perhaps thousands of years old, depending on ones heritance. If in our daily life certain patterns takes place in reality, and if there is a clear correspondence hidden in our subconsciousness (by example, some of our ancestors had strong experiences during his/her life, which is left imprinted in our inheritance, during this subconcious connection, our subconsciousness is cabable of refer to these past experiences and form a foretelling dream: "these events remarkably resemble the events that took place in my last life, and they resulted in this, so it is highly propable that this will happen again!"), this can result in a foretelling dream: That certain events has always led to a certain outcome, our brain (or mind) calculates this possibility and warns us in our dreams.

This post is getting lenghty and I do not know if anyone can agree with, so I better stop now and wait for reactions. I'll be happy to comment these previous paragraphs if anyone has any questions.

Best regards,

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I agree with you on the brain structure part. A freind of mine is a pretty aware. I'd use the word psychic but I don't like to use that word. A university did a test on her, they did a brain scan or something. They found that her brain used different pathways then usual. More efficient routes I say.

I'm still not sure though, in my case anyway. I did some reading that basically told me I was a spiritual teacher for many lifetimes, and basically spiritual as far back as is counted, and my awareness isn't exactly amazing. But it's getting there.

I've always been confused as to the nature of people as a kid.. particularly about making wise or even simple decisions. I just couldn't understand how people thought. It didn't make any sense to me. I had wondered when I was younger if it was a difference in the brain, i just didn't know where wisdom came from.

----------------

I think we shape ourself to our belief and ability, upon birth, and before that.. choosing our appearance even (as a group, with your family), with any sort of special birth conditions.

I look at the body and particularly the brain as a crystalized network, where light splits off into junctions, a binary computer system of input and output, duality etc. I think our soul is the accumulated code that allows us to program our physical form. The body is a perfect machine, it just relies on who the user is programming it.

That's just my thought on awareness that one has been born with, or developed.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think with meditation and altered states you can unlock and access all sorts of information hidden at cellular level. Dna. To the point of speaking languages that you have never consciously learned. Abilities also. This is what yogis refer to as siddhis, or perfections.

I also believe that what you think, your thought processes, and emotions can actually alter your Dna at some level. But it takes a belief in the metaphysical to be able to begin to understand and explore the ramifications.

Yes inherited dna, you will inherit the genetic make-up and information stored within, from your ancestors. This is why when one person in an ancestral line decides to meditate on God, that 3 generations past in their line, benefit from it. This is also the origins of what some people refer to as inherited-curse.

I hope this information is useful. There is a post on ATS that explores this in more detail

ATS thread on dna activation etc

Some may find the information on it very hard to take/understand. I personally added some very nice video clips to it, as regards... 4th dimension 101, sacred geometry, dna activation. If you don't want to read through the mind boggling (to some
) thread, the clips are very good.

Best Wishes.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join