It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freestyle Meditation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Im a Freestyle Meditator.

Freestyle means: Not attached to any method, teaching, teacher, cult, guru, discipline, time-span, rules, restrictions, dogma, path.

Meditation is fun, healthy, mind-expanding, intelligence-increasing, creativity-increasing.

Do you get tired when meditating? There´s other ways to do it

Do you lack discipline to meditate? There´s other ways to do it.

Do you lack knowledge about meditatation? There´s your own ways to do it, if you know a only a tiny bit of what its about.

Over the years Ive invented many different ways to meditate, all with the same results, often with even better results than contemporary meditation or meditation attached to some system or teaching.

If you´re one to "lack disipline" or "fall asleep" while meditating it is important to know that sitting in a certain position with your eyes closed is not the only way to meditate.

There are eye-open meditations.

There are walking-meditations.

There are breathing-meditations.

There are focussing-meditations.

There are active physical meditations.

There are writing meditations.

There are daydreaming meditations

There are meditations to induce altered states

All with results such as:

Increased Clarity

Increased Relaxation

Increased Well-Being

Increased Focus

Increased Ability & Creativity

Altered States

If you guys share some of your techniques and styles, I´ll be happy to share some of mine.

All for free, right here.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nice thread m8

As a noobie to meditation i searched for tons of ways to make it fast to "enlightment" . But on my struggle getting to know al the different ways u find online. I started thinking the something along the line of yourself.

Now i find it alot more easy to meditate on my own way what is practically anything u can focus on completely.

Hell i can even meditate while working .

Thumbs up for your thread an keep on spreading the word so those criminals who charge cash to get ppl to the spiritual lvl they deserve soon run outta business.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Meditation is one of the best natural healing methods to keep our lives in balance despite the hectic lives we may have in modern days.

For those that think is a waste of time, well just stop and think that it has been practiced since ancient times by people that back in their times the only worries was about survival.

I have practiced meditation for while now, on and off, but when I do it on a daily basis I have to admit that I feel great, relaxed and more in control of my emotions.

Like you said Skyfloating it doesn't have to be elaborated or complicated, it just need to be fun and practical and it can be applied on any occasion and on any time.

BTW it works.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I practice mediation using two different methods for focus. The first method involves thinking the words "in" and "out" while taking deep breaths. This exercise is great for relaxation and all around clarity.

The other method I use involves focusing on the numbers "one," "two" and "three." I repeat them in my head in a slow but steady pace. I use this method to prep for projects that require heavy-duty concentration.

I also discovered that a good way to clear mental clutter is to write down a to-do list of things that need to be addressed. This way it's down on paper, and I don't have to worry about my mind wandering. This is especially good to do prior to starting any meditation technique.

Excellent thread!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I usually use music to get my meditation on. Ambient/trance works great for me. Often times I can close my eyes and see the music take visual forms. Sometimes they can be quite funny. Dancing hieroglyphs for instance.

It's my way of "syncing up". Similar to the breathing method in effect, except I sync up with the tune instead of the breath. Breathing takes too much effort.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing some of your meditations. Do share more. I´ll be sharing at least a dozen different types of meditation.

Observing People

One of mine is to go somewhere where people come and go. This could be an airport or a cafe or a busy train station. I go to these places on purpose for this particular meditation.

I´ll choose a place I can sit and stay for a very long time, without being disturbed much.

I´ll decide that neither time nor me,me,me nor schedules, nor plans nor anything else matters anymore and just start observing people and observing the world and observing the place.

I do this until my own mental activity calms down and deep silence and peace is all there is.

Done properly it is pretty elating and liberating with a slight "high" feeling in the head and chest areas.

Sometimes it may take a loooooooooooooong time until this effect kicks in....but it eventually does.

With this specific meditation it shouldnt matter if its done 15 minutes or several hours.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Walking-Focus

In this one I take a walk. I search out an object in the distance and, while walking, gently keep my entire focus on that object, tree, cloud or whatever...until I get there. Once there I might relax my focus for a minute or two or immediatly choose the next object in the distance and focus on that until I arrive there. This has several effects:

* Decrase of "mind-clutter"

* Sense of more power over ones attention/mind

* Reduced Reactiveness to stimuli and stuff happening around me

* Sense of peace and improved state of energy

* Slightly altered perception of space and time

* Slightly altered perception of colours

This can also be done with focussing on thoughts instead of objects while walking. In this variation you determine that you will keep on single thought in mind until reaching a certain object.

Everytime you do get distracted during this meditation, dont berate yourself, just return to the object. Its the berating and getting bothered that is a much bigger distraction than anything else.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yeah I am still looking for ways that fit me well. I like to lie down and meditate mostly, it is most relaxing. If I fall asleep then I just sleep and likely dream. But you can only sleep so much, so I get up and then twenty minutes later I lie back down to meditate, and there is no way I'm going to fall asleep because I'm rested. This messes with sleep patterns and your routine, but I'm finding routine to be less important now. I just try to make sure I've gotten the necessary quantity of hours of sleep before the next day, whatever order they come in.

I've always had the falling asleep problem. Warning this might be a little gross but One of the best ways I combatted this issue for a while was by meditating in the shower after I took a shower. I would just stand in the shower, standing meditation arms at my side and meditate for 15-20 minutes and basically drip dry.

Come to think of it, standing meditations may be what works best for me. I just always worry that I might not be relaxing enough for it to lead to OOBEs which OOBEs being a side effect of meditation I hope to gain someday.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I´ll decide that neither time nor me,me,me nor schedules, nor plans nor anything else matters anymore and just start observing people and observing the world and observing the place.

If you are practicing something like being compassionate towards all the people you observe then it isn't about me,me,me. If you are meditating solely to train your mind and awareness than it is very much about you.

I'm not saying that is a bad thing, I consider it very important to train the mind and gain real insight in the self, but more as a preparation to other meditations that focus on kindness. Otherwise there might be unwanted motivations like becoming 'better' than other people who don't train their minds, to become superior to them in some way in order to gain a better position for oneself in society (rather than share any developed talents with others).

My own favorite meditation is a walking meditation where I focus on breathing first (by counting my breaths for example), then my attention solely on the feelings of my body, for example where the clothes touches the skin, the feeling of my feet touching the earth and gravity (partly visualizing it to become more aware). Before I did that I meditated a lot on identifying my minds conditioning and becoming aware of my own reactions in order to control those. Pretty boring but I don't regret it as it is so necessary as preparation to receive bigger experiences/insights.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonfly79
If you are...

There are many different variations one can do the observing-meditation in. With watching humans there is obviously also a compassion-variation. Thats not the one I meant here, I meant the space-out variation. I meant to post some compassion-meditations later in the thread.

If I were doing the same meditation for compassion (as opposed to space-out) I wouldnt be sitting there as detached and neutrally as I normally do. Id be trying to connect to the people from the heart (More compassion-stuff later).

I like your body-awareness walking meditation which is a very, very good way to get grounded, feel well and release stuff.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
but I'm finding routine to be less important now.

You´re obviously a meditator

I've always had the falling asleep problem. Warning this might be a little gross but One of the best ways I combatted this issue for a while was by meditating in the shower after I took a shower. I would just stand in the shower, standing meditation arms at my side and meditate for 15-20 minutes and basically drip dry.

Come to think of it, standing meditations may be what works best for me. I just always worry that I might not be relaxing enough for it to lead to OOBEs which OOBEs being a side effect of meditation I hope to gain someday.

Standing meditation. Thats a pretty interesting thing.

I sometimes stop myself during the day, whichever place I was or in whichever position I was and just stand or sit there for a few minutes. Thats a pretty powerful awareness-trigger to use.

The OOBE you´re looking for is connected to sleepiness though...so your problem is also your solution

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

I also discovered that a good way to clear mental clutter is to write down a to-do list of things that need to be addressed. This way it's down on paper, and I don't have to worry about my mind wandering. This is especially good to do prior to starting any meditation technique.

I do the same preperation with what I call "Intention-List" (slightly different from a to-do-list) to clear my mind from clutter and unfinished-business. Good advice there maria-stardust.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
I usually use music to get my meditation on. Ambient/trance works great for me. Often times I can close my eyes and see the music take visual forms. Sometimes they can be quite funny. Dancing hieroglyphs for instance.

It's my way of "syncing up". Similar to the breathing method in effect, except I sync up with the tune instead of the breath. Breathing takes too much effort.

I get off on sounds pretty good too. Especially endless monotonous drones sprinkled with high-pitched echoes (for meditation).

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
yeah freestyle meditation! nice the power of the mind is amazing if you can learn to harness it. I believe meditation is the first step in activating the rest of your brain and using it to aid you, instead of hinder your own progress.

is there a national meditation holiday?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I was asking some questions about this in another thread -

I'm beginning to see that it doesn't have to be about a rigid set of rules - it can happen in different ways

I think maybe I've been meditating a lot through out my life - and didn't have to try so hard

but, I still think requires a certain amount of discipline - which is where I get hung up

is it really meditating if you're not trying?

the walking is something I do - almost just the way you describe it - and the people watching - that's a whole subject of it's own right there - something I've done my whole life - not just people watching - or day dreaming - but a kind of melting into the crowd - difficult to put into words

can I ask how long you've been doing this?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Natural Creatures

Find a garden, park, or woods, with no people around and lots of natural creatures -- birds, plants, insects.

Take a stroll, but with no purpose. Or perhaps stand in place -- it doesn't matter.

Empty your mind and observe.

Don't think of flowers as plants, or ants as insects, or anything like that. Think of them all simply as individuals. There's so many of them!

Forget how you normally observe. Make observation an interactive experience -- draw connections with your empathy.

Swap places with nature. Let yourself be the flower, or insect, or moss. Their motions and existence are your thoughts, so there's no need to patter to yourself.

Act on whim -- let there be no difference. Smell a flower. Stroke the moss. Be as gentle as you would want a 100' tall giant patting you on the head to be.

Allow your empathy with nature to move you. Brush aside a dead leaf, if the leaf needs brushed aside. Nature needs us very little, but allow yourself to be nature's avatar.

Results: Try it and see. Lifting a sagging vine can become a cosmic act. The entire bustle of the world can been seen, simply watching a bee collect pollen on its back legs.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I don't know about specific techniques, but I do have a sort of rhythm that is more or less the same, regardless of which exercise I am attempting.

For me, there is usually an intense period of meditation of fantasy - pushing against the walls of known consciousness. This is followed by a very mundane and grounded experience of life; a sort of spiritual exhaustion. Then there is a third period of mindfulness wherein new perspectives seem to emerge from the depths. After these new perspectives sink in, my energy and urge to push usually returns, and the cycle continues in a widening spiral.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Great thread. This is right up my alley as I was a self-taught freestyler. Before I start any meditation, I stretch for 10-15 minutes and then give gratitude to the multiverse and everything within it for the first three minutes.

Some of the types of meditation I use:

1. A method of simply clearing my mind to achieve silence in order to hear what is really being broadcast to me. I do this by imagining my mind with many thoughts in it. With each deep breath I take, the thoughts are pushed further and further to the end of the universe until they are so far away, I cannot remember what they are. Then I really begin to listen.

2. A method where light is the catalyst to all. Whether I want to heal someone, rid them of a bad situation, or travel distances down the universe I haven't been before, light can be used for amazing things. Quite often I fill my aura with cleansing white light which always leads me into bringing light into the planet and to be maintained in its core for when it feels necessary to use as well.

3. Completely let things go and see them as they come. I highly enjoy this one.

4. A balancing and activation of the chakras. I have three ways of balancing. One is by going through each center, making it rotate the correct direction, at the correct speed, and connecting it to the next chakra. Two is by connecting my chakras in crystalline form and not as much balls of energy. Three is by using pictures as my activation. So I'll imagine the the roots of my consciousness come from the center of the Earth. These roots will come up through my body to whatever highest chakra has been fully activated (it's been my yellow chakra until recently). From there, I use pictures for my remaining chakras: my 4th is a rainbow heart shining from end to end of the universe. My 5th is rather simple as it's blue energy coming straight form my throat, down my arms, and projected outward. The 6th changes and can range from my third eye connecting to the higher realms, to the infamous triangle projecting infinite energy, to an actual eyeball simply existing. The 7th is a infinite petaled lotus flower coming of the top of my head and extending into infinity.

5. In the normal given day, I will pass by people and connect with them on a higher level. I'll see a bunch of people around and imagine that my third eye is having a conversation with everyone's third eye simultaneously. That we are already knowing of what each other thinks, says, and intends.

6. In astral projection, I like the use of doors. Opening doors in meditation has brought me many answers. For example, I've been very fascinated with the higher dimensions for the past eighteen months. One day about a year ago, I decided to create a door in a meditation with a sign on it that said Fourth Dimension. When I went in it was amazing. When I came out, I rose upwards to a ledge with a door that had a sign that said Fifth Dimension. I also like the use of ladders in mediation. Once I climbed a ladder to a place that had a hundred doors.

7. Pure creation of your own. Create planets, lifeforms, galaxies and enjoy what you create. Visit with these entities and see existence through their eyes. And be limitless with your creation. No one has to be bound by Earthly things.

8. The emotion checking method. Quite often we run into situations where people project their anger/fear/misunderstandings on us. The natural reaction is to come back with the same negative energy. Sending people forgiveness, understanding, and love in the heat of the moment can do wonderful things for your psyche and self-awareness.

These are just some thoughts of the top of my head. I've got more and will come back as they arise. Hopefully they give you an idea or two for yourself. Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I sometimes stop myself during the day, whichever place I was or in whichever position I was and just stand or sit there for a few minutes. Thats a pretty powerful awareness-trigger to use.

I find myself doing this when I'm out for a walk in the woods. I'm blessed with lots of parks with wooded trails near me - Toronto is about 50% green space. So I walk there often and sometimes I am just compelled to stop. There's no one around and I just listen to a brook babbling or birds chirping or leaves rustling. The most interesting thing is when there is complete silence. It's so surprising that one can find silence so easily in a city of millions, a block from the longest street in the world.

I had no idea this was meditation - I thought I was just enjoying nature.
Great thread, Skyfloating.

reply to post by Ian McLean

I will definitely be taking my nature meditation to this next level. Thanks, Ian.

Originally posted by applebiter
For me, there is usually an intense period of meditation of fantasy - pushing against the walls of known consciousness.

That sounds so interesting. What do you think about that can push the envelope so far?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
I think maybe I've been meditating a lot through out my life - and didn't have to try so hard

Many people meditate without calling it meditation or knowing what they are actually doing. When a guy goes to play golf, when a woman goes to her beauty-session, when grandpa does his gardening, when a teen watches a movie, they are all both practicing soft forms of meditation.

If they wouldnt, they´d go crazy, in my opinion.

but, I still think requires a certain amount of discipline - which is where I get hung up

is it really meditating if you're not trying?

It happens naturally, as just mentioned. But if you want to "make a step" and move forward in awareness, it does require some deliberate practice.

If you find a way thats fun though, and notice the benefits of it, it doesnt feel like discipline anymore. It IS discipline, but it doesnt feel like a chore. Its something to look forward to, to be eager about.

the walking is something I do - almost just the way you describe it - and the people watching - that's a whole subject of it's own right there - something I've done my whole life - not just people watching - or day dreaming - but a kind of melting into the crowd - difficult to put into words

Merging with people. I understand.

can I ask how long you've been doing this?

Since about 12 years, on and off. Sometimes I take a few months break from deliberate practice. But if my awareness and life show any hints of going downwards, I re-instate my daily practice. Normally 15 minutes a day or 2 hours a week should do the job of not falling into treadmill-society-hypnosis entirely.

Its about awareness. Deliberate action. Deliberate non-action. Focus. Calm. Those are reasons to meditate.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Skyfloating]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join