It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia could place bombers in Latin America, N.Africa - paper

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Russia could place bombers in Latin America, N.Africa - paper

en.rian.ru

MOSCOW, July 24 (RIA Novosti) - Russian strategic bombers may soon be deployed at airbases in Cuba, Venezuela and Algeria as a response to the U.S. missile shield in Europe and NATO's expansion, Russian daily Izvestia said on Thursday.

Moscow has strongly opposed the possible deployment by the U.S. of 10 interceptor missiles in Poland and an accompanying tracking radar in the Czech Republic as a threat to its national security.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.rian.ru

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Feels like everything is being set up to start WWIII...

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have been expecting the Russians to maybe deploy to Venezuala for a while now. I would not be surprised to see them build a Naval Base and missile silos either. I would if I was the Russian President.

Well the US cant complain .... they have taken their eye off of the ball thats been bouncing in their own backyard whilst playing at Imperialism in the Middle East and Southern Europe.

Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost ......

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Ok guys/gals, I was under the impression that Russia was broke. I have heard and read articles that Russia can't afford to take care of their inventory and let a lot go to waste, i.e. Subs in the harbor rusting away and laying on thier sides, not being able to afford fuel for there jets, so they get rich folks to pay for rides in jets to help pay for their training and fuel.

So where is Russia all of a sudden getting the funds to move inventory and produce weapons?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I cant disagree about the chickens coming home to roost as you put it. But what bothers me is the cold war is over. Both the U.S. and Russia should be past trying to intimidate each other. So what is it about the interceptor missiles that annoys Russia enough to make them want to deploy bombers in Latin America?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
Ok guys/gals, I was under the impression that Russia was broke.

Russia was broke after the Soviet Union fell, but times change. Under the leadership of Putin, Russia became debt free and now their economy is flourishing.

Originally posted by 38181So where is Russia all of a sudden getting the funds to move inventory and produce weapons?
Oil and gas for the most part.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Certainly not a good move for global stability but then again, what the hell was the US thinking in the first place deploying a European missile shield?

I thought the Cold War was over; either way, two can play at that game and who knows better than the Soviets?
Their completely justified in placing their own deterrents if America wants to incite a bit of nostalgic tension in my opinion.

Dumb move on America's part, were they expecting Russia to sit there and watch their offensive missile capabilities be neutralised?
Or have they gotten so complacent with their hegemony on the world they can't remember the last time some one stood up to them?
More likely the case. They could use a good reminder.

[edit on 24/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
Ok guys/gals, I was under the impression that Russia was broke. I have heard and read articles that Russia can't afford to take care of their inventory and let a lot go to waste, i.e. Subs in the harbor rusting away and laying on thier sides, not being able to afford fuel for there jets, so they get rich folks to pay for rides in jets to help pay for their training and fuel.

So where is Russia all of a sudden getting the funds to move inventory and produce weapons?

Thats the thing 38181... Russia has been making money lately...

Russia's gold output up 12.5% in January-June
Russian international reserves up $10 bln in week
Not to mention all the Weapons deals with China, India, and other countries...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the perceived threat against the west was gone. what has happened over the last few years though has been a ramping up of US base deployments all around Russia in ex-Soviet states. Under such circumstances, is it any wonder that Russia decides to deploy aircraft close to the US?

A golden opportunity was missed in bringing about treaties to prevent this escalation but foreign policy based on the "Might is Right" philosophy prevailed.
Surrounding Russia with US forces has forced their hand into a response, but perhaps that was the plan all along? With a new Cold War, the Military Industrial masters must be laughing all the way to the bank at the prospect of increased funding and arms sales. After all, there's no profit in peace is there, which makes it all the more sickening to see our leaders pontificate about peace and prosperity for us all.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by Wotan

I cant disagree about the chickens coming home to roost as you put it. But what bothers me is the cold war is over. Both the U.S. and Russia should be past trying to intimidate each other. So what is it about the interceptor missiles that annoys Russia enough to make them want to deploy bombers in Latin America?

Quite simple really ....... Russia has been invaded twice, all the way to Moscow and millions of its people died. Russia is very paranoid about being invaded again. Remember Hitler had a non-agression treaty with Stalin till Hitler decided to launch Operation Barbarossa. You wont catch Russia out a third time.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

reply to post by Wotan

Quite simple really ....... Russia has been invaded twice, all the way to Moscow and millions of its people died. Russia is very paranoid about being invaded again. Remember Hitler had a non-agression treaty with Stalin till Hitler decided to launch Operation Barbarossa. You wont catch Russia out a third time.

Ahhh how quickly we forget though?

Everyone just assumes Russia is on some power-trip or has a sinister agenda to undermine the West.

Tsk, tsk; history will keep repeating itself so long as we keep making our mistakes over and over again.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So what is it about the interceptor missiles that annoys Russia enough to make them want to deploy bombers in Latin America?

It has nothing to do with the missiles IMO. The missiles are only an excuse. The hard liners in Russia are still a bunch of commie bastards who are pissed about losing the cold war. However, they are patient and now that Russia has a little money because of oil, they are going to try and flex their muscles by flying their bomber rust buckets.

Let them put bombers there. So what? The U.S. would intercept them way before they could reach America. I would be more worried about them crashing the bucket of rusted bolts into the water with a nuke on board and contaminating the water.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

To be honest I'm completely behind the US in the middle east and much of the world too, but we have no right to try and take land and influence from what was once our ally in eradicating an evil called Nazism which was sick to the core. Why push Russia to the corner? Why take it's near abroad when we know Russia will be pissed to say the least? Russia could be an ally in the fight against Islamic terror. The way we deal with Russia forces it to do the only thing it can to thwart our Imperial advance........... arm Iran with real WMD called nukes! It's all so crazy, Israel will nuke Iran and russia gives Iran nukes to nuke Israel, because it's pissed with the gool old USA for stepping on its toes. All Russia wants is its sphere of influience. How would the US feel if Mexico and Jamaica were incorporated into the old Warsaw Pact?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Cold War. Not over, at least for Russians.
It will be exciting if the Russians make some Monroe Doctrine waves.
Didn't we did this already?

Russia ain't broke, neither.

Putin's got a big mouth. And lives in the old world. For him, the West is still the enemy, no matter how many Harley Davidsons are rolling around
St. Petersburg. And that attitude makes us get nasty, too. Former Soviets are scared of Putin, with good reason. Russians aren't comortable unless their leaders are ruthless gangsters.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Lot of ignorant misconceptions about the Russkies here, sad to see people are still living in an "ideological cold war", why does every feel the need to treat Russia with such suspicion?
I would be far more concerned with the dictators and ruthless "gangsters" in the White House; their outfitted with suits and smiles but have nothing but hatred and greed to sow.

The missiles are only an excuse.

And what was America's excuse exactly? Fireworks show?
Mmm I thought so.

Do unto others as you would like them to do to you.
If your an aggressive, stubborn thug then you best believe people will start treating you like one.

Russia is getting defensive, as they have every right to.
America is one the that proclaimed the "Sad chapter in human history that was Communism is over" as I recalled Reagen said.

So why start up some Cold War tensions yet again and put some more distance between America & Russia when they were seeming to edge just a little bit closer?
Backfired in my opinion.

Russia are still a bunch of commie bastards who are pissed about losing the cold war.

They didn't "loose" anything.
It's like saying American won the Vietnam war. No you didn't, you withdrew. You didn't loose because you weren't defeated until you couldn't fight anymore, you simply forfeited the battle because of pubic pressure.
Same with the Russians, their economy collapsed and they couldn't support themselves anymore so they decided to give up hostilities.

There was no "open conflict" to win or battleground to claim. No spoils of war here.

As for the Commie B*stards remark... I don't know where you've been since 1991, I assume some place up in the clouds but come back down to Earth.
Russia has free elections, representative parliament, and a constitution which guarantees basic freedoms.
No different than the US.

And just like the US, a powerful Presidential position who's power can be abused to undemocratic ends...

Don't preach that "Holier than thou" stuff here, look at your own backyard.

flying their bomber rust buckets.

Rust buckets ey?
Russia has the same long-range, intercontinental bombing capabilities America does now, it's even developing it's own Stealth Bombers too.

Read these:
www.geocities.com...
www.freerepublic.com...
www.1913intel.com...
www.1913intel.com...

Do these look like "rust buckets":

upload.wikimedia.org...

upload.wikimedia.org...[ /url]

[url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/Tupolev_Tu-22m3.jpg

America's heydays of technological superiority are well over.
There's nothing the US has that the Russian don't have an equivalent for a or a counterpart of.

Looks like you need to do some catching up there.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Lot of ignorant misconceptions about the Russkies here, sad to see people are still living in an "ideological cold war"

No, that's just your ignorant opinion.

why does every feel the need to treat Russia with such suspicion?

Because of their past and current actions. Simple really.
Look, they are commies and have always wanted to take down America.

I would be far more concerned with the dictators and ruthless "gangsters" in the White House

Another ignorant opinion.

And what was America's excuse exactly? Fireworks show?
Mmm I thought so.

Umm.....Defense. I guess you did not think.
These missiles cannot be used for offensive purposes. What does Russia have to worry about? It's only a few defensive missiles compared to the thousands of Russia's nuclear weapons.

America's heydays of technological superiority are well over.

Sorry, but I just had to laugh.

Yeah, I'm really worried about their rusted bucket of bolts.

The few advanced weapons they do make get sold to other countries because they cannot even afford the upkeep to keep the weapons for themselves.

Looks like you need to do some catching up there.

Sorry, but unlike yourself, I'm already in reality.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, the Russians were defeated. If you surrender becasue of supply problems that's a defeat, I mean, totally. I'm having a hard time with your position on US vs. Russia outcomes.

We wanted them to stop being communist. They did. We wanted them to stop spreading communism. They did. We wanted them to grant sovereignity to several nations. They did.

Withdraw from Germany. They did. How is that not a victory for the US in Cold War One?

But thisi is Cold War Two.

Vietnam was a fight between the West and the Soviets. Korea, Afghanistan, on and on. We fought the Russians all over the planet. Where were you?

But now. You're right. Thugs will be thugs and there is alot of posturing. Putin is really a bigger ass than Bush and Company. A real old-school insider. No love for The Anglo civilization.

But this isn't just like the Russians were being all nice, polite and minding theor own business. They, like us, depend on conflict for prosperity. They need defense spending and military operations in the field, just like us. Prepare for our soldiers to be actively deployed in hot spots in combat for about the next 30 years straight. And the Russians as well.

Russian has been menacing the Georgians for 60 some years. They have no rights ther, yet they have killed people just for wanting distinct Georgian Independance. They were their own Nation before WWII and fought the Nazis. Then Russian took them over in the shakeout.

Russian interference in the Balkans is a direct move to limit NATO and EU powers over themselves!!

The Russians fear the Ukraine and Georgia joining NATO. It' still a contest. They still want to spread "russianism" through Europe and the world. Why? Couldn't say. Probably for the same reason we want to put Starbucks in Nepal or wherever.

But the bottom line is: The US is just cooler. Sounds dumb, I know, but our quality design and products will win all these struggles in the end. Who hasn't heard of Michael Jackson or Elvis? Jazz? American. Satelite telecommunication? American. Atomic Bomb? American. Refrigerated truck? African AMERICAN. Modern mail box on street corners used in the US by Federal postal service? African American.
Dave Chapelle? From Ohio.
Russians buy and appreciate US brands. Including ideas. And that scares Putin and his pals.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Wotan

Cold War numero uno is over. This is numero dose.
If you read some of the past articles Putin accused Bush of starting a second cold war. And he is. Russia is respondign to keep it a level playing feild.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Cold War numero uno is over. This is numero dose.

Yep!
If you read some of the past articles Putin accused Bush of starting a second cold war. And he is. Russia is respondign to keep it a level playing feild.

Also yep, BUT don't make it out like the Russians are all innocent. We don't pay much attention to former Soviet states most of the time, But they certainly do.
Very corrupt and possessive.
They have developed their own Russian form of Capitalism and it's like Chicago 1930's on a HUGE SCALE. Right now, going strong, but it isn't sustainable forever.
Like us. They want to check us as bad as we want to check them. Probably alot more. They were the losers and they want paybacks.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by djerwulfe]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think arguing against the "hard-liner Russian commie bastard" comments are a fruitless exercise.

Some people are so grossly ignorant that trying to educate them is pointless

America has had three aircraft, one of which is cutting edge stuff, crash in the past six months, so I'd look at my own kit before calling another nation's inventory "rust buckets."

Luckily the B52 wasn't on its way to somewhere where it was needed. It was just on its way to a feel-good parade, and it went down blazing.

If the TU 160s are rust buckets, why are some Americans so concerned about them being in Cuba of all places?

Russian generals have hosed down the idea anyway.

en.rian.ru...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join