It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia ‘Had Laser Cannons Before U.S.’

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

Google it...
What is the point in playing "who’s what bigger"... Russians say they had Laser first... the end...
Russians sent satellite into space first... the end...
Russians sent first man into space first... the end...

"cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them" said Obama…

Just reading in this forum makes you wonder.... hmmm maybe his right!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CTPAX
reply to post by rogue1

Google it...
What is the point in playing "who’s what bigger"... Russians say they had Laser first... the end...
Russians sent satellite into space first... the end...
Russians sent first man into space first... the end...

"cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them" said Obama…

Just reading in this forum makes you wonder.... hmmm maybe his right!

Erm and what else has the great Russian Republic contributed, oh yeah this was 50 years ago right ? Anything since ?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Originally posted by manson_322
this is funny statement as most of my sources are scientific journals like federation of american scientists(fas),flug-revue(german scientific journal)

Your sources from FAS in fact aren't reliable. They are all quotes from the DIA yearly assessment in the 80's of Soviet Military Power (SMP). In fact many of the things reported in there never existed. I have proved conclusively to stellarx that these reports were grossly overinflated to boost the budget of the US military under Reagan. Simple as that, those reports are completely unrealiable.
Please re-post those links that you claim have prooven that Soviet's were "overestimated" because I can't find your "proofs?"

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

Well as you might know... everything else is top secret....

HAARP system is one of these top secrets....

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
I have no reason to disbelieve the Russian's standpoint, after all the first working laser that could operate at room temperature was created by the Russians (read up about Zhores Alferov) but nevertheless that seems a bit hard to swallow.

10 years after the first working laser (1960) is made they had mounted them onto planes and had a suitable, portable powerplant that produced enough wattage so it could take down missiles?

You only need to take a look at the Boening YAL-1 to realise that's quite a feat, not only do you a require a huge airframe to mount this thing on (Boeing 747) you need immense power.

That thing is basically one huge chemical tank full of propellant with a massive diode on the nose.

Mmmm, bit of a stretch in 1972.
In fact I think the only airframe they could of mounted this on in the 70's was the "Bear" (Tupolev Tu-95) and that thing is 20 metres shorter than a 747 and has even less load capacity (about 170,000kg compared to 190,000kg).

So again, maybe they should release a few photographs or something because that really would have been a stunning achievement.

Note also this comes from a Russian paper. We all know how the Russians love to toot their own horn.

[edit on 24/7/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

The USAF was flying around an NKC-135A in about 1984 that had a laser mounted on top. It was rather successful. It shot down several AIM-9s that were shot at it, as well as shooting (at very low power) another NKC-135A that had targets on the side of it. The difference is that the YAL-1 is designed to stop IRBMs/SRBMs where the ALL was designed for smaller targets. That's why the ABL is mounted on a 747-400. To shoot down an IRBM/SRBM you need a lot more power to get the range to hit them.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
current.com...

Levity.

:]

I'm at four lines, technically.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RussiaUSA

they were never behind in electronics.. and also never behind in aircraft or nuclear. Thats called western bias my dear friend...they post things on the web with no proof coming up with unfactual evidence that relates irrelevent things to the soviet union. the west had the largest propaganda machine in the world...many articles regarding the soviet union were nagative and bias false information. even when the russians put up their first satelite the american press reduced its significance by saying its not better still lol.

Russia was always and still is behind in electronics, in fact they had to buy their supercomputers from America in the 90's. The only time Russia ever nosed ahead in aircraft design was with the Mig-15 which not surprisingly used a British Rolls Royce jet engine
Apart from that Russian designs have always come out later to counter western designs.
The western military propoganda machine normally inflated the USSR's military power to inflate their own military budgets. So if the west said the USSR was ahead in anything in most cases it was t increase their budgets but in reality the USSr was behind. Simple fact. Let's face it, it took the Soviets 4 years after the trinity test to build their first weapon and that was with spies spoon feeding them all the designs from the Manhattan project.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't always agree with Manson_323...but I at least respect him for standing by his convictions. I am not going to get in this tit for tat debate about who had lasers first and to what degree..as it does not matter because we both have them now and that is fact. I thought I would instead provide some info for you guy about this stuff you might find interesting.

www.wavefrontsciences.com...

www.spacewar.com...

[edit on 11/17/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by RussiaUSA

they were never behind in electronics.. and also never behind in aircraft or nuclear. Thats called western bias my dear friend...they post things on the web with no proof coming up with unfactual evidence that relates irrelevent things to the soviet union. the west had the largest propaganda machine in the world...many articles regarding the soviet union were nagative and bias false information. even when the russians put up their first satelite the american press reduced its significance by saying its not better still lol.

Russia was always and still is behind in electronics, in fact they had to buy their supercomputers from America in the 90's. The only time Russia ever nosed ahead in aircraft design was with the Mig-15 which not surprisingly used a British Rolls Royce jet engine
Apart from that Russian designs have always come out later to counter western designs.
The western military propoganda machine normally inflated the USSR's military power to inflate their own military budgets. So if the west said the USSR was ahead in anything in most cases it was t increase their budgets but in reality the USSr was behind. Simple fact. Let's face it, it took the Soviets 4 years after the trinity test to build their first weapon and that was with spies spoon feeding them all the designs from the Manhattan project.
You are right about "SOME" computer systems that Russia had was behind from USA, but not ALL, go read what western sources say on these 2 threads start from page 3 on this thread and read the posts posted by "Steller X" : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Start on page 3 also on this thread, and read the posts by "Stellar X" www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
We all know Russia are ahead of the rest of the nations when it comes to laser tech and a few other places but not much else.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CTPAX

YEA BUT THEIR BATTRIES SUCKED... LOL

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join