It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini 14, Bushmaster or Kalashnikov...which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've owned a mini 14 for years now.

I have not used mine in some time...but after years of reloading for my Savage accutrigger in .223..I have become aware of the rifling twist for this Savage in that it more accurately shoots lighter bullets below 55 grains. My best results to date have been with Hornady A max bullets in some 52 grains. As I recall the twist is some 1 in 12 inchs.

Which brings me back to the Mini 14. Back in the day I was shooting mostly standard 55 grain full metal jackets. As I recall the twist on this rifle is some 1 in 10 or 1in 9 inch twist.
I am thinking that a heavier bullet might be more in order for this rifle..some 60 to 70 grains.
While this rifle is not designed for accuracy as are some like my Savage bolt action...I would like to see if a heavier bullet will make a difference.
Any of you reloaders out here had experience with heavier bullets for the Mini 14??

To me, one thing the Mini 14 has going for it is its relatively light weight. It is a rifle a woman can pretty easily use....verses...say my 1903 Springfield or M1 Garand. Same can be said for the AR Series. But overall I would prefer the Mini 14 as I find it more reliable.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This one is for the OP. The largest problem for any of the rifles is bullet weight and deflection. Here are several rounds purposely deflected and the results. I'm sold on the .30 and up.

www.theboxotruth.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

The socom 2 is a badass little weapon, but i would still rather have a standard carbine. The socom 2 comes with a 16 or 18 inch barrel, while the carbine comes with an 18, 20, or 22 inch. Internally there is not much difference, the shortened the gas chamber is the main thing. But with the longer barrels of the carbine you get higher velocities, lower recoil, and tighter groups.
And it's $500 less than a socom. That's a lot of ammo

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

I shoot Federal 50 gr. power shok's out of my mini-14 and get really good groups. I prefer Hornady ammo but when stockpiling the cost is to high. The only thing that my Savage 111 30-06 gets fed is 165 or 180 grain SST's. You can get boxes of 200 rounds of the federals at wal-mart for $76.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
About 7.62x39 being hard to find if/when the SHTF-time occurs...

I see tons of this cartridge all over the place. You can even buy it at Wal-Mart. It seems just as common as anything else in any place that sells ammunition. Of course, if you wait till the SHTF and then try to go out and buy/secure ammo, you will probably be out of luck with any caliber.

Just my couple of thoughts on the topic.

:shrugs:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've been following this and have a few questions about the Kalashnikov.

Ammo readily available? Easy to reload shells?
Only 8 moving parts?
Reliable?
Can be used anywhere?
Can it be used semi auto? Single shot?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yes to all, but it will be harder to find ammo after TSHTF regardless of what people tell you. They aren't taking in to consideration that most american companies don't make it so it'll dwindle fast.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Ammo readily available? YES

Easy to reload shells? probably YES, provided you have reloading equipment.

Only 8 moving parts? Don't know.

Reliable? As durable and reliable as just about any weapon can be in any condition.

Can be used anywhere? From deserts to mountains, and anywhere in between.

Can it be used semi auto? Single shot? Most you buy these days are semi, unless you have the appropriate license for full-auto stuff.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Yes, but most american companies don't make it. All of them make .223, so it's already stockpiled in warehouses.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Why not load your own shells. I knew a guy in the 70's, avid gun fan, that did just that. In fact my father traded service loads for his custom loads.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston, ejection rod, guide spring, hammer, firing pin, and return spring.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So who is going to be making ammunition for anything if/when the SHTF? My opinion, is to stock on what you can now, look into reloading. Because afterwards, nothing is guaranteed.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That would work till you ran out of powder and primers. Very hard to make either one. Go with the same thought with a .223 and your ammo will last a lot longer.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Yes, but my point is there will be a lot more .223 running around after TSHTF. reloading is a good idea but if you have a small supply of any neccesary ingredients you'll run out fast. There will be a lot of .223 running around because of military demand, police demand, and civilian usage. The military has armories full of it because their main weapons, the m4 and m249 saw, use it.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by crudos

Yes, but my point is there will be a lot more .223 running around after TSHTF. reloading is a good idea but if you have a small supply of any neccesary ingredients you'll run out fast. There will be a lot of .223 running around because of military demand, police demand, and civilian usage. The military has armories full of it because their main weapons, the m4 and m249 saw, use it.

I do agree with you generally. But there is still ALOT of 7.62x39 out there and will be after a SHTF scenario. And because the authorities have bunches of .223, doesn't mean they will be inclined to give it out to the befuddled masses. Personally, I think most people would be fine with either cartridge. I have a Finnish m39 bolt action rifle, that is my choice of weapon should it ever come down to it. Accurate, durable, good at longer ranges. Downside is 7.62x54r availibility, but nothing is perfect. Interesting discussion by all in this thread.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by crudos]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by crudos

Also to add to my point, the ones with it will most likely not survive forever. People will find out and keep going after them.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

reply to post by crudos

Yes, but most american companies don't make it. All of them make .223, so it's already stockpiled in warehouses.

Wrong, on that one. All of the American companies make it.
That is what people buy these days. Supply and demand. Here are some different manufacturers of 7.62x39 and this outfit does not come close to stocking them all.

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

The stuff that is getting hard to come by is the chinese AP and the various russian factories with unusual headstamps. Some of that is being demilled for cartridge displays Most rounds are around a buck each for the rarer collectible ones.

If you have the dough get the socom or a good quality FAL. I doubt anyone would be disappointed in either. They are both fine rifles

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If your looking for a deal its here:

www.ammoman.com...

$199 per 1000 delivered to your door. Various russian types but if you want a round that cycles through every AK type weapon get the 'wolf military classic' in either FMJ or Hollow Point. Best value by far today and the ammoman won't let you down.

Price has jumped $10-30 everywhere else in the last month due to strong demand and that is before shipping which has gone up too. Ammoman has free shipping on everything.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by crudos
About 7.62x39 being hard to find if/when the SHTF-time occurs...

I see tons of this cartridge all over the place. You can even buy it at Wal-Mart. It seems just as common as anything else in any place that sells ammunition. Of course, if you wait till the SHTF and then try to go out and buy/secure ammo, you will probably be out of luck with any caliber.

Just my couple of thoughts on the topic.

:shrugs:

Take a look here. and that is only two rows in a mega warehouse. There is no shortage. Just a rumor.

www.ammoman.com...

BTW the two black pallets are .223 if that give an idea as to who is actually buying what and the volume they buy it in for each. Things look a lot different when you actually know what is going on vs listening to people on the internet.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

reply to post by himself

Any semi-auto, if taken care of properly, will last for a very long time. If you get into a situation when TSHTF that you need firepower fast then your breachloader will not do.

When TSHTF,
I depend on both my .380 PC-ATs and my.22 NAA derringers
and more than that
my brainwashing in the military.
Unlike now.
They programmed me to survive against all odds.
I do things I could not have imagined to survive and win...
I have fought and won against 15 assailants who were stunned by my agressive instant response, long enough for me to win...
Five to one? I laugh as I fight and win every time.
Recon Marines know what I mean.
Nothing like slapping some guy's gun out of his hand and shooting the other attackers with it.
Cops love that btw

[edit on 1-8-2008 by himself]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join