It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini 14, Bushmaster or Kalashnikov...which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on the savage 111, I always like finding out about cheap but reliable guns. I love CZ's, but I may go savage for my next rifle.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

No problem
I wouldn't trade mine for any bolt rifle, even if they offered it free!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If the world were to end tomorrow, I would only consider reaching for one gun. My AK. It's a homebuild, and proof that when care is taken in manufacturing, AKs can and will attain MOA accuracy and maintain the reliability they are famous for.

In building AKs, the most expensive AK you build is the first one. You have the cost of your receiver jig, hydraulic press, drill press, and several other nit-picky tools. After that, you can build high-quality AKs for about 60% of the cost of the cheapest Romy you can find. I've put about 1500 rounds through this one and the only time it has ever failed is with 1950s era middle eastern ammo, known to have bad primers.

As for M4 type weapons, I just don't trust them. I have an FFL and I've seen multiple ARs malfunction, sometimes requiring a full tear-down to restore functionality. This is not to say that some people don't have reliable ARs, I just haven't seen any that I would trust. That being said, I have noticed that the rifle and midlength tends to be a bit more reliable than the M4.

My loadout includes the aforementioned AK and a .40 S&W Glock 22. I may switch to a 9mm Glock 19 due to ammo availability, but lately it's becoming a tossup as availability. The .40 S&W cartridge is becoming more and more common nowadays.

I include this picture as the "proof in the pudding." Since this picture was taken, i've since changed out the buttstock for a fixed Warsaw length synthetic, and a standard black synthetic handguard. I did not like the feel of the Galil handguard, and while I did not have any real complaints about the Tapco T6 stock, I shoulder the fixed length better. The target on the left is the group, target on the right is a short bump-fire burst.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

Hopefully you've stockpiled a lot of ammo for your AK, because like i said earlier in this thread the ammo will most likely become scarce really fast.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Not likely. 7.62x39 is the most popular centerfire rifle cartridge in the US, second only to 3006 and *maybe* 30-30. And yes, I do have plenty of ammo for it.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

Ya it's popular but .223 is more common. All military and most police agencies use it. Plus it's very popular for small game hunting, and easier to find than 7.62.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Common misconception. There are likely a lot more AKs SKS, RPK, RPDand saiga among many many others out there than ARs and there is a very good supply chain of ammo for them. Most sporting suppliers are now doing a large share of their business in ammo on 7.62x39. I might worry about .303 or 8mm mauser getting scarce and it already is. NATO rounds are always going to be around as they sell off the stuff thats no longer fresh.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Yes, but take all the AR's, mini-14's, and bolt rifles chambered for .223 and they outnumber all the ones chambered for 7.62 in this country.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by Illahee

Yes, but take all the AR's, mini-14's, and bolt rifles chambered for .223 and they outnumber all the ones chambered for 7.62 in this country.

Do you have any stats to back up your claim? We can access import records for 7.62x39 from the ATF and tell exactly how many. Why don't you provide yours?

[edit on 28-7-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Easy killer, you don't have to be rude. My info is based on all the weapons i've worked on for people, all the AR owners i know of, and all the coyote hunters that use them in the western half of the country.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Ive seen the same thing in my part of the world to.

(Second line added to follow the rules.)

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This is why I feel like I am leaning more toward the AK74...I get the best of both worlds. Excellent simplistic reliability iun the guns design but better accuracy and a more available load in the .223

Netwarrior I have to say, that is a fine looking weapon you have assembled there. What would you charge someone to replicate that rifle?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I carried an M-16, liked it's easy handling after my quick-kill/instinct shooting training.
US military has lengthened the stock so it is no longer an instinct shooting weapon.
If you get an M-16 type weapon, buy the old Nam stock to make it easier to fire quickly and accurately.
Old stock-used to bed against 90 degree inner elbow, making the rifle like an extension of your arm.
Like pointing your index finger, aiming was so easy, hits nearly certain.
Traditionalists ruined the M-16 with the longer stock.

Have tried many weapons and now own AKM Egyptian Maadi with thumbhole stock and Chicom AKM with thumbhole stock.

My favorite shotgun is a Saiga .410, semi auto shotgun built in Russia on the AK pattern.

Mini-14 is like apple computers; very good at what it does but limited in supply and accessories to a very very few suppliers. Magazines will not interchange with M-16 family weapons for example of apple like blind alley development.

If you decide to go with the .556 mm
Consider the reliable AK action before risking the others.
Then I'd recommend secondly the Kel-Tec

Soldiers in the Nam had to clean their M-16s during firefights because the damn things jammed with every drop of moisture and every speck of dust.
Jessica Lynch said her M-16 had jammed and she never fired a shot in that famous Iraq war incident.
Unchanged in over 40 years. Still gotta clean it constantly.
Still unfit for the real world with it's dust, dirt and water.

AKs fire no matter how dirty or corroded.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by himself]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
12 gauge for small game or up close big game
.308 or 30-06 for large game
hard to beat this combo

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by himself

I was checking out some of the Saiga automatic shotguns online the other day, man those are just the best looking weapons I have seen in ages and not all that costly considering what a Binelli or other top end shotties will run you.

Im thinking of buying one for deer season

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
if i have to chose from these 3 and i am looking for a survival rifle, my choice is mini14 hands down, and i own all 3. remember survival is basically about eating, and good luck killing game with an ak or bushmaster.

as far as the ar-15,m-16 haters go, all you have do do is maintain the weapon, and it will perform.

if you have to kill intruders at close range, your ak or a shotgun will do, but if your talking survival, accuracy is king.

give me my k-bar and my 22-250, throw me in the woods naked, and i will survive

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

This is why I feel like I am leaning more toward the AK74...I get the best of both worlds. Excellent simplistic reliability iun the guns design but better accuracy and a more available load in the .223

Netwarrior I have to say, that is a fine looking weapon you have assembled there. What would you charge someone to replicate that rifle?

Well, I had this nice long informative U2U typed out regarding the AK, but apparently You're not allowed to send U2U until you've amassed 20 posts, and I'm a noob.

Long story short, I can't build you one. I have an 01 FFL, not an 07 Manufacturer's license. The sale of homebuild weapons is a current gray area within federal and state firearms laws and I'd rather not do it. I would, however, help you out in building your own in any way that I can. Fire off a U2U to me with your email address and I'll send you the store's contact info...we can chat about AK builds all day. It's really not that hard. You just have to ask yourself..."Am I smarter than a barefoot Afghani peasant with a hammer and a rock?"

[edit on 29-7-2008 by netwarrior]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by himself

I was checking out some of the Saiga automatic shotguns online the other day, man those are just the best looking weapons I have seen in ages and not all that costly considering what a Binelli or other top end shotties will run you.

Im thinking of buying one for deer season

Saiga .410 with three 00buck ( .36 caliber pellets) stacked in one case.
Three shots per trigger pull.

I like mine so much I traded off all my 12 ga shotguns

It's IMHO like the handcannon vs mouse gun debate.
Either carry the biggest and baddest -recoil be damned- or actually hit what you aim at with a smaller lighter weapon.

Learn before you buy a Saiga
google and visit the forums at:
saiga-12.com
thefiringline.com

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I still say AR with a piston upper. Accuracy and reliability that is unmatched by the others. AK's are a crap shoot in quality. Ammo will be gone quickly for them as well. If you can't maintain your weapon then you shouldn't own one. Someone mentioned Jessiaca Lynch and how her weapon wouldn't fire. Well it didn't fire because she and many others in her unit failed to maintain their weapons. Plus it's an easy cop out to say any M16 styled weapon jammed. Do you have to keep it clean? Yes. Is it as reliable as an AK? Well ask me that when your not sure what style of AK you have and what round do you need for it. 7.62x39 or 5.45x39? Wher can I get a replacement part? Do all of the parts interchange with other weapons of the AK family? Nope. Can you identify a Type 56 from a Type 68? Can you identify an AKM from a AK-74? Most people can't tell the difference between a a AK-74 and an AK-47. As for the AR family it's pretty simple. The "Black Rifle" I suppose is best suited for a rifleman. You can start out with a quality AR rifle for around 800 bones. Less if you do your home work. A friend of mine just recently built a complete AR with a midlength upper for less than that using quality parts. You can pimp it out as you see fit from their to best suit your needs, wants, and desires.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
All three fire arms are good choices. I am very surprised nobody has mentioned the sig 556. I had the opportunity to fire one. One of the finest fire arms in my opinion ever made. It just feels right in every respect. It is dead on accurate. Ime still hoping to get one. If I( remember correctly there going for about $1200. Its been a while sense Ive checked so they may be going for a little more or a little less.
Sigs site

[edit on 29-7-2008 by angryamerican]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join