It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Help if Your Underage and a Female!!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Liamoville

Ya'll making fat JOKES LOL I doubt he would be able to run...

But for real anybody got anymore advice...?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
To be honest i wouldn't really want to give you any advice as i'm not really an expert in survival situations etc but i'm sure there are people on here you can give you SENSIBLE advice about self defence and surviving outdoors, that kind of stuff.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ggurl777

Heres a few links if you're up for a bit of reading...

Outdoor Living, the 10 bushcraft books

Wilderness Wiki

Knots Gallery

Primitive Hunting & Snaring

Edit:

Liamoville...good to see another geordie on the boards!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hey, good to see you mate, thats three of us in this thread alone lol. No matter where you go or where you look theres always a Geordie lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hey Cgurl. SITX probably wont happen. I believe a lot of stuff on this website but the negative aspects are EVERYWHERE on this site. For every good post theres 3-4 end of the world nitemare posts. Im very open minded but I feel the current war and weather events have got conspiracy theorists working over time to mess with everyones head. There is one thing you MUST know. People speak about the end of the world and whats going to happen in the next few years (2012). If we think positive things then positive things happen. We are all in control of our future despite what so called prophets say. Please cgurl dont spend sooo much time on this website because even thought I love ATS most of it is paranoia and depression triggers. More then half the things said on this site are bad. Dwelling on a lot of the posts on ATS = depression. Dont take everything for face value on here. I hope this helps. Also one other thing. Im a 25 year old white male and I want to say, I really think that white people are truely sorry for what happened in the past and any rascism you come across today isnt exactly the hatred form that we know from 200 years ago. Rednecks even though rude and may say hurtful things are no more harmful then if you went to a crypt neighborhood in Los Angeles.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I always thought the boy scouts and the girl scouts were great organizations for learning outdoor skills, citizenship, and self-reliance, but not many kids seem interested today.

Actually I had my kids in Girl and Boy Scouts, in our area it seemed the thing the instructors were interested in doing was "glue the glitter here on this paper" and memorize the pledge. After two years of never leaving the lunch room I decided they had learned all they needed to about glitter. I was sorely disappointed in our local chapters.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ggurl777

If you are serious about these fears of yours ( most aware people are at least alittle worried about sitx ), then I'm sorry for that.

Older folks should be trusted to deal with these sorts of things. To take care of the youngsters. I'm ashamed to say that we're not trusted and don't deserve to be.
So, you're gonna have to do it, and when it's all calmed down again...
you're gonna have to build something that works. I hope it's something new.

You aren't going to learn alot about survival in nature unless you survive in nature. I heard about a TV show ( I havn't watched one regularly for over thwenty years now )... where some nature guy or something was in the Arizona desert eating crickets and scorpions and jumping in fright at the sight of a javelina ( small pig- peccary ).
The guy must be a complete idiot ! But- no, he just read some glorified travel brochure and had no clue. Pigs ( reminds me of one of the recent Jesus threads ) are tasty!

The point is, you gotta get out there and smell some sh-t; listen to the natural world.

Great to know about yarrow and Queen Anne's lace, etc., but- If you learn this from a book you may have difficulty telling them apart, especially under pressure.

If you're a city girl ( I presume ) then, stick with what, and most importantly WHO you know. The family you mentioned.

Please don't kill anybody, and avoid contributing anything to people who do.

Only a blinddumb animal, IMO- would rebuild most of this crap we have around us now. Don't do it, please.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Absolutely F---ing EXCELLENT philosophical approach, that

I admire - As a favorite 'oldie' on ATS once said (j. titor)

'don't buy a gun. There will be plenty around when the time comes.'

That time is nigh.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I live in Florida and it is part of my life to prepare for sitx. While we have been very fortunate the last 2 years in my neck of the woods, we aren't always. Hurricanes provide some good training.
That being said, my advice to a 16 yo would be that seeing that your funds may be somewhat limited, every week when you get paid or allowance, put a few dollars away to buy dry goods that are easily transported. Crackers and dried meats are my choice. I've built up a stockpile that will keep a few of us in food for a while till the worst is over and its "safer" to go foraging, or in worst case to bug out and head for the hills. (figure of speech, there ain't no hills in Florida)
Don't wast your money on buying too much freeze dried goods as they take water to become edible and most water will have been severely contaminated and its too heavy to carry around.
Speaking of water, you said you know how to purify contanimated water, I hope so, because if your wrong, diarreah will kill you in a sitx scenario.
If your family is amenable, talk to them about your concerns and gauge their reactions about compiling "just a survival kit". You sound like a level headed young lady, maybe they'll put you in charge.
A lot of my loved ones tend to think I'm outa-my-mind when this subject is discussed, but they all want to hook up at my house when the storms threaten.
Good Luck
LC

[edit on 7/24/2008 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In terms of most actual disasters and catastrophes, you can count on yourself, your family and your close friends.
See:
chazzz.org...

So preparation consists of preparing yourself and your resources and in strengthening your family & social network. Both are important - especially if you aren't physically strong.

I agree with previous posters who suggested self-defense classes. Look for low cost and no long-term commitments like from community colleges. My son spent many years in Karate and Tae Kwando when he was growing up. Besides the actual training in self defense they also enhance self-confidence. In a pinch self-confidence is half the battle.

I personally favor a firearm for home. But there are many additional considerations - Like will it get you into trouble with unfriendly cops?
Look here for some more thoughts on self-defense:
chazzz.org...

I would suggest that having an automobile that runs and has gas and maps in it is important. If not your own - then a close family member. Many times the best defense is distance - "Getting the hell out of Dodge" when that is called for.

Finally keep the family ties good - Make peace now with people you may need to count on in an emergency.

Chazzz

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hi, I'm the anonymous guy on the internet you've heard so much about.

There have been some really awesome answers for you here already. Literally a lifetime of worthwhile things to study.

One thing, and then maybe two things, we'll see. Sitx, like the person from Florida can tell you, can happen anywhere and at any time. It doesn't have to be aliens, zombies, and/or FEMA martial law. It could be a week long electrical black out with no good explanation. It could be a crappy levee or a bad rain storm. We had one here two years ago that we're still feeling the effects of to some degree.

Knowing something you can do with proficiency when there's no electricity is vital. A skill that you will need every single day is of utmost importance.

So, my sage anonymous internet advice to you, turn off the lights. Turn 'em off. This goes to everyone out there. You don't have to go camping to learn stuff. Just do without electricity for ever increasing amounts of time.
Start small. 5 minutes. What did you think to do in 5 minutes in a dark room that doesn't involve electricity.

Ya'll get your minds outta the gutter cause we're talking to a person of youthful persuasion.

If you're like me you got tired of being in the dark and tried to make light. Maybe you just opened the blinds or maybe you had to find a candle and matches in the dark.
Next time maybe leave the lights off until you get hungry. What then?
This is a simple game/learning tool that anyone can do.

I'm not advocating unplugging the refrigerator or your alarm clock. You really will be roughing it if you don't make it into work because you forgot to plug your clock in.

You'll know you've actually learned lessons when you start keeping the things that are handy when the lights go off in convenient places. Maybe that's a bag at first. Later it will probably be shelves or a room. Maybe a bunker. Bunkers are sweet.

As far as guns...really be careful where you get your legal info. In Texas you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. 18 for a rifle or shotgun. In fact I wouldn't even steer you towards a gun first; though I love guns.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In a race war you will not be a target for the nuts out there. Black males will be the target of misplaced anger, and ignorance. There are plenty of white men like myself that want nothing to do with a race war. I am out for myself first, family second, and whoever needs help black or white last. You will be just fine.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
In a race war you will not be a target for the nuts out there. Black males will be the target of misplaced anger, and ignorance. There are plenty of white men like myself that want nothing to do with a race war. I am out for myself first, family second, and whoever needs help black or white last. You will be just fine.

Thank you for your kind words and I also will do the same...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join