It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Ghost Hunting - How do you get started?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I've always been really interested in ghosts/paranormal activity or really just anything that can't be easily explained by science. Watching shows like Ghost Hunters made me wonder....can an ordinary person without high-tech equipment try this on their own?

Is it safe?

What about homemade EVP recording, can someone just use a regular microphone like those attached to an mp3 player, for instance?

What are good locations to try to pick up EVP's/video/photo anomalies?

Are there certain procedures to 'ghost hunting'?

What are your thoughts/experiences? Thank you!

Replikant

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I guess you can do a online search for the info.I don't see it being dangerous.Maybe not that profitable other then fun and trying to prove otherwise.You obvious need a big investment in equipment and the locations need to be found.If you watch the tv ghost hunters..the one guy is always complaining he is always investing money.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Replikant

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself why you are seeking these things out.

I was a paranormal investigator for 25 years and only came to one conclusion.

Respect the unseen...

Once you answer the first question, ask one more...

How far are you willing to take it and what are you prepared to do with your findings.

There are other necessary steps, but you need to answer the question to the major premise of your impending journey.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Valid questions there Tapped In, but if you want to take it to the minimum, I'd start out researching your local area for haunted locations, ghost stories etc, find some public areas such as parks, out side of buildings on the side walk and go to them during the day with a camera and snap a bunch of photos.

It's easy cheap and safe as the places are public and you're not tripping over yourself in the dark.

All that's left to do is look at your photos and your done, imagine trying to sit through a couple hours of audio recordings trying to pick up on the faintest of sounds, that would do my head in.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would also like to know how to do this.
I am trying to video tape a ghost that's been in my room for a few months now

I have a video camera and tripod I want to try to catch it on film it likes to touch my hair and head at random times while I use my computer or trying to sleep.

Anyone know if its more effective to try and video tape the ghost with lights off or is it ok to leave it on?

I also want to try and get an audio recording if it with my PC mic.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
if going anywhere let other people know where you are going and when you will be back and to check on you at a time organized by you..you should also check out the place you are going to investigate in daylight to spot any dangers like open manholes etc...a cheap and easy way is a digital camera....

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The first thing is your safety, check places out in daylight as quoted above. Stay local at first and try and get someone to go along with you. Heres a few things that you should be able to pick up cheaply to get you started.

- A decent digital camera, doesnt need to expensive but do a little research on budget cameras.
- A cheap digital voice recorder for picking up those E.V.P's
-Flashlights, A must.
-nerves, people I have been with have got all hyped up their imaginations ahve run away with them ending with them getting hystericle.

Be respectful, and dont dabble in things you dont know about. Basic ghost hunting should cause no problems but be mindful of what you are doing. If after all this you feel ready to take the next step then you can start thinking of bigger investments like a camcorder, when I started I brought a sony handycam brand new (pretty chep aswell) that had supernight shot, very handy not only for the ghost hunting either

Antother thing, whilst capturing evidence think about this, what would you want to see from evidence from other people to make YOU believe. And always try and debunk the debunkable. If you have any feelings that anything you catch is not paranormal then dismiss it, if it dont convince you it wont convince the majority. Just be careful and use common sense and you should be fine and enjoy it.

theukman

new topics

top topics

join