It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't the US Military adopt the Magpul Masada?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Why doesn't the US Military adopt the Magpul Masada as its basic infantry weapon?

I think the US should chamber the weapon using the standard 5.56mm NATO round, even though the round should probably be replaced in the next decade, but have kits so that soldiers can fire a 6.5mm Grendel, 6.8mm SPC, or the 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm M40 (Russian).

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Hey, we already got contracts. We wouldn't want to upset that pork barrel, now would we? Besides, who cares how "good" a weapon is, anyway? The majority of weapons purchased never even get used. They just sit around in storage.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
One is it is way too new. Two is BUSHMASTER just bought the system from MAGPUL and will be making them avail to public in 09. The MASADA is Ok, but I think the SCAR is going to win the new contract. FN is pretty much now a US company. Sig will probably get the pistol contract. Just what I have heard from people at Crane.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Anyone here watch futureweapons on military channel? I saw some new assault rifle theyre working on that fires 50 calibur rounds in full auto - with no recoil. It uses some mechanical system to divert some of the kinetic energy from the fired rounds upward vertically to counter the buck from the recoil it creates. The host tested it and was pretty accurate with it first try.

I think another episode also showed another rifle that is a modification of the m4? it fires 50 cal rounds too it just uses a different loading mechanism. It also had a little camera and feed to a helmet screen so they could point it and shoot around corners, which was pretty cool.

From these two I think they're seriously considering going heavy-calibur for coming next-gen rifles.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

The kriss super v is an awesome weapon, think it might be a lil to complicated for a service weapon though, dunno heres a link
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The military has stated that until someone designes something that is truly a major step forward in small arms design, they will not be spending billions to replace the M4/M16 - and I agree with them.

The FN SCAR and HK416 will be purchased in small numbers for various SPECOPS groups, and they are certainly a small advance over the M4, but nothing radical.

The Masada has not yet been subjected to any rigorous independent testing, it also looks ungainly at least to my eye, although the weight is still low, but to be honest it looks kind of "blah" to me, and I don't intend to purchase one.

join