It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving bears eat 2 men in Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Starving bears eat 2 men in Russia

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW - A pack of enormous bears searching for food killed and ate two men at mines in Russia's Pacific Kamchatka region and have kept hundreds of geologists and miners from reaching the mine, news agencies reported Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Kinda interesting..i know in large groups around a dump or fishing for salmon,bears can stand being around each other.This make it sound like a pack of wolves.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The Russian bear was only sleeping........

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It's interesting that you psoted this today because I'd just heard a report on the radio about how some fireman in California rescued a bear from the forest fires there. I immediately thought, "Huh?! Why the heck are they trying to rescue dangerous predators who might maul humans? Let 'em burn!"

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Fish poaching on the tundra? Who knew there was fish in tundra? Now mosquito poaching I could believe.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It's my opinion that humans are the most dangerous predators on Earth.

A bear can't understand that a human is any different than any other animal which doesn't have adequate protection from predation. They are just trying to survive and, as opportunistic omnivores, they will eat anything they can catch and overpower. "Moral" outrage is pointless; bears aren't capable of morality.

I also believe that humans do not have the right to exterminate all other animals on the planet who happen to be a potential threat to humans. We can, and do, keep them out of 'our' territory, and it behooves us to stay out of theirs.

If you're a bear and some animal is taking all the fish so that there isn't anything for you to eat, what are you going to do? Eating the animals who ate the fish seems like a reasonable solution to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
It's my opinion that humans are the most dangerous predators on Earth.

And if we want to keep it that way we can't go around giving concessions to lesser animals.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

What makes some humans appear lesser is your way of thinking.

Oh yes your so superior, let's kill innocent animals because we are better than them, who cares about the animals and nature yeah let's just become evil demons with no compassion, we rule this world why should we care about mere animals.

I'm sorry but from reading your posts, I almost feel like you wish we as humans should become more like evil demon gods, instead of loving compassionate humans.

The beauty of animals and nature is what keeps this world beautiful, it's what keeps us sane, wipe all that out and we have nothing but sadness, you may not understand compassion, love etc. You may not understand the human and animal connection. But it is important.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Really. I'm rooting for the pack of Bears. (go Bears).

Seriously, though, how lame is that - one of the most powerful countries on Earth has to resort to killing their precious wildlife?

Hell, build a freaking fence fer gawds sake.

They should film these bears and sell the stock footage to John Carpenter and use the movie revenues to finance the fence (or a similar defensive construct)

Or (duh) bring the bears some salmon. Surely Russian officials can find some food for them. I'm already morning these beautiful creatures. What a loss this would be. SOMEBODY stop them

From the video page below. Bolding, mine

Paradeiza – easy hunting ground The Kamchatka brown bear is one of the world's largest, with males growing to around three metres (10ft) and weighing up to 700kg (1,540lb). They can also reach speeds of up to 48km/h (30mph) despite their size. The Kamchatka peninsula, nine timezones east of Moscow and twice the size of Britain, is home to an estimated 16,000 bears. They are generally peaceful and feed on salmon in Kamchatka's rivers

(29 min)

Google Video Link

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouDespise

They were rescuing a baby bear, the size of a human infant. And from the looks of a video, the baby bear was in much pain. Yes, it may be a predator but it didn't have huge teeth that would hurt people. Later on, a fireman had cradled this critter in his arms for comfort.

[edit on 2008-7-25 by pikypiky]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Don't bother trying to explain, it won't change him.

From reading his posts, I can tell he simply lacks compassion, feelings and love to other living beings, including humans. He only cares about his own needs, BUT he did say he feels for criminals....which is rather odd.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Originally posted by alienstar
Kinda interesting..i know in large groups around a dump or fishing for salmon,bears can stand being around each other.This make it sound like a pack of wolves.

I know what you mean. I lived in Alaska for a little while. At the dump I would throw oranges at the bears to try and move them away so I could back up the truck without hurting one of them (and them hurting me). Mostly young bears in packs but a few adult black bears. Brown bears I usually stay away from. They're too unpredictable and deserve increased respect. At the spawning grounds, thousands of salmon would be dying at the end of their run. Hardly ever a bear. They like to catch 'em before the spawn.

new topics

top topics

join