It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streaks in martian sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Picture of martian streak

Nasa says it may be a meteor or a viking probe...why not aliens? hehe

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
NO! it's a chemtrail!

and i would trust nasa on this one. i've seen both satelites and meteors burn up. they look very much the same, and like that. good find though.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
How the hell do we even know thats from Mars? They dont show any landscape...its just the sky.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
How the hell do we even know thats from Mars? They dont show any landscape...its just the sky.

i would go with the fact that it's on space.com, which in my opinion is a highly reliable source for information.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Damn, you tricked me when you said Martian streaks! I thought that with any luck it might be a female.

jra

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It sure would be nice to know how long of an exposure that was. It could be many things. Could be a bright star or planet or a satillite like they said. I'm guessing that the pic was somewhat of a long exposure seeing how it appears to be taken at night. So any moving bright spots of light will streak.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Is this picture from one of the rovers? What are the odds that the rover would photograph this object at night, when the rovers are usually powered down?

jra

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
They sometimes run them through the night. Like if they are making a big trip from point A to point B. they can almost drive themselves.

This photo looks like it has some light in it still along the horizon, so it could be at dawn or dusk.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Not hard to mock up a page like that though.

See

Anywhere else on the Space.com site that covers this? The caption seems a little sus.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I just can't get enough of the pictures from mars period. I find it truly fascinating that millions of miles can't stop technology, I'm very curious to see what's next.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Kano, how did you do that? haha!

and as for the exposure, i doubt it was very long. it could have either been in the opposite direction of the sunrise/sunset.

they don't run the rovers at night as far as i know, because that would wear down what battery power is saved up internally. there's no power from the sun at night.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Nah the instruments can operate overnight, and the Spectrometers often are. Driving at night is avoided though.

The PanCam has recently had its heater calibrated so it could start taking night shots.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You guys are so skeptical!!

Scientists theorize that the mystery line could be either a meteorite or one of seven out-of-commission spacecraft still orbiting Mars. Because the object appeared to move 4 degrees of an arc in 15 seconds it is probably not the Russian probes Mars 2, Mars 3, Mars 5, or Phobos 2; or the American probes Mariner 9 or Viking 1. That leaves Viking 2, which has a polar orbit that would fit with the north-south orientation of the streak. In addition, only Viking 1 and 2 were left in orbits that could produce motion as fast as that seen by Spirit.

Scroll down a bit for the full article...

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I must be hungry because I was think martian STEAKS for dinner.

Were probably poisening what's left of the martians with them chemtrails.

Cool find though. I can't believe the NASA site allowed this take "Said Mark Lemmon, a rover team member from Texas A&M University, Texas, "Is this the first image of a meteor on Mars, or an image of a spacecraft sent from another world during the dawn of our robotic space exploration program?"

[Edited on 13-3-2004 by outsider]

top topics

join