It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Burning Constitution and Pills: Vanity Fair's response to The New Yorker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Touche, Vanity Fair. Touche! This is a great response to the New Yorker Obama cover!

[edit on 23-7-2008 by TruthWithin]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Good for you for getting that up first. As far as Im concerned there cannot be too much of this kind of thing since the NY'er threw down the ganlet as a cartoonist named David Horsey did pretty much exact same satirical drawing over a week ago in the Seattle Post Int.

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll put it up. Wish me luck..

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Congress is to blame for the burning constitution. They authorized FISA and Patriot Act and other similiar acts.

Anyway satire is satire. Although I will say that the new yorker seems to be liberal and non-partisan. Vanity Fairs seems to be a marketing campaign. They know this will cause controversy and they will make more money. I can't recall ever seeing two white people fist bumping.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You can't recall ever seeeing two white people fist bumping? Where do you live? Are you visually impaired?

Anyway, I don't think that VF is going to get as much hype-sales-airtime-in-the-MSM-echo-chamber that the NY'er did, and did by design.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The New Yorker is one floor up from Vanity Fair. They play softball together. This is an age old rivalry.

We here at Vanity Fair maintain a kind of affectionate rivalry with our downstairs neighbors at The New Yorker. We play softball every year, compete for some of the same stories, and share an elevator bank. (You can tell the ones who are headed to the 20th floor by their Brooklyn pallor and dog-eared paperbacks.) And heaven knows we’ve published our share of scandalous images, on the cover and otherwise. So we’ve been watching the kerfuffle over last week’s New Yorker cover with a mixture of empathy and better-you-than-us relief.

Vanity Fair

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is wonderful! I love it!

Originally posted by jam321
I can't recall ever seeing two white people fist bumping.

Google "fist bump" images. You'll see plenty.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wow, that is going to hurt Obama more than help him.

Leave it to Vanity Fair. They got 'ole Bill Clinton pretty worked up a couple of months ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

How will this hurt Obama? Seems like a fair response and it had nothing to do with Obama's campaign - just as the New Yorker cover had nothing to do with McCain's.

Is there no room for fun in politics?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh yeah, it is fun. It's going to be fun to see what more cartoons and attacks come out.

Obama better watch out for McCain's blinding left-hook though. It might send his skinny butt with a glass-jaw to the Canvas in hurry.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
reply to post by jetxnet

How will this hurt Obama? Seems like a fair response and it had nothing to do with Obama's campaign - just as the New Yorker cover had nothing to do with McCain's.

Is there no room for fun in politics?

Truth, Jetxnet is a troll. Don't expect him to make any sense. No matter what the news article, he always sees it as negative toward Obama. I never see his posts anymore since I've placed him on ignore, unless of course someone quotes him.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Thank you sooooo much for posting this.

Yep, I can't way to hear the late night pundits paddling this about.

Great find

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Uh-hu, and I assume he'll be doing that with his good arm (I know that was in really poor taste. Guilty) cause he is surely not going to do it with his political acumen, his positions or his consistency. I just posted this video on a thread of Benevolent Heretics -- but since the OP of the thread has brought up the topic of fun in politics I think I'll put it here too, because it is hilarious, tragically hilarious, but I'll take my laughs wherever I can get them.

Ann Jet? I'm really sorry you got stuck with such a lame, senile and addled candidate. You guys should have done better with your nominating process.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Bet you are a been there done that seen that type of guy. No I am not visually impaired. You can keep your insults to yourself. Just cause you haven't seen something doesn't mean your blind.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ann Jet? I'm really sorry you got stuck with such a lame, senile and addled candidate. You guys should have done better with your nominating process.

McCain is so lame and senile that he still happens to know there are 50 states and a maxium of an 8 year term for POTUS.

I think you met "adlib" instead of "addled".

Obama is the Teleprompt master. He won't always have a Teleprompt though.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm insulting? I'm sorry. And here I thought I was playing nice, because what I really wanted to say was, what exactly are you implying by saying "you've never seen two white people fist bumping".

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Easy now boys! Do I have to get out the garden hose?

Both have their faults. I just thought this was a very witty volley back to the New Yorker.

WayIseeit - AWESOME video. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I made an observation and said I can't recall not that i never seen. There was no hidden agenda behind it. I saw the same thing in the Obama cartoon and was more intrigued as to what the fist bumping meant for the McCains. Personally I think one good cartoon deserves another. So maybe instead asking somebody if they are visually impaired, you should ask them to clarify their statement.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
reply to post by jetxnet

Uh-hu, and I assume he'll be doing that with his good arm (I know that was in really poor taste. Guilty) cause he is surely not going to do it with his political acumen, his positions or his consistency. I just posted this video on a thread of Benevolent Heretics -- but since the OP of the thread has brought up the topic of fun in politics I think I'll put it here too, because it is hilarious, tragically hilarious, but I'll take my laughs wherever I can get them.

This is a GREAT! Video. My only problem with it, is that it blames corporate media for not reporting on this, but it uses nothing but clips from corporate media to show their point.

Anway, I think any claim that the media is biased one way or the other is pretty lame. What I do think is true though, is that he does come off as very inconsistent from interview to interview.

And then during the point of saying "I don't know where you got that quote from" He should have just owned up to it and explained himself as opposed to running away.

Lastly, I really would like to know which it is.. Does he, or doesn't he think that this country is better off than we were eight years ago? In the video he said both. At one time he said "yes we are" and another he states "No we arent'"

He really does need to learn to play this campaign game a bit better.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
REPLYING TO TRUTHWITHIN: Okay...(sulks) I'm gonna try to play nice with the other children (grumbles), but you've gotta stop calling me a boy... and not because I'm a man.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

McCain is so lame and senile that he still happens to know there are 50 states and a maxium of an 8 year term for POTUS.

I think you met "adlib" instead of "addled".

What about these Jetty?

“President Putin of Germany.”
“down to pre-surge levels”
"Czechoslovakia”
“I'm afraid it's a very hard struggle, particularly given the situation on the Iraq/Pakistan border,"
He mistakened Somalia for Sudan!
And heres my favourite:
nz.youtube.com...
All from good ol' McCain.

And by the way, Obama never said he wants to be president for 10years, again you are trying to mislead people
. Obama said: "The objective of this trip was to have substantive discussions with people like President Karzai, Prime Minister Maliki, President Sarkozy and others, who I expect to be dealing with over the next 8-10 years"

Originally posted by jetxnet
Obama is the Teleprompt master. He won't always have a Teleprompt though.

Yes what a weak excuse for Obamas oratory skills compared to McCains..

nz.youtube.com...

Yes Mr McCain! Thats not change you republicans can believe in! only Bush policies, war and stealing ones slogan!

oh Jexnet! You seem to be slipping in your arguements by the day, just like the credibility of the Bush administration.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by southern_Guardian]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join