It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the F-23 (PAV-1@Dayton PAV-2@Northrop?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
In my opinion, this pic sums the elegance, beauty and sheer menace of the YF-23.

I mourn its demise still to this day.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
In my opinion, this pic sums the elegance, beauty and sheer menace of the YF-23.

I mourn its demise still to this day.

Im lazy today but im partial to the one where both (1 black the other grey) are flying in formation over the high desert outside of Edwards.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Also found an image of 801 @ WMF in June of 2004 with the wing removed. It appears that at that point Northrop had already started refurbishing it which then appears to have been completed in 2006.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So, if it was completed in 2006, early 2007 and looks almost perfect, where is it?

Would be nice to be able to email Northrop... in fact, i'm going to dig an addy out and send them a quick begging letter.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

upload.wikimedia.org...

for you fred

although i do like

www.bugimus.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was told that I would find PAV-2 on show in an outdoor area at Northrop Grumman's production facility in El Segundo, California.

So I google earthed it. Indeed it is sat there.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yep Sir we sure as heck found it. Heres a superb smart view of it from another angle.

Virtual globe

Theres the link for it to go have a peep for yourselves.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
So, if it was completed in 2006, early 2007 and looks almost perfect, where is it?

Would be nice to be able to email Northrop... in fact, i'm going to dig an addy out and send them a quick begging letter.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

One of them is at Tonopah according the my wife Intelgurl. Alojng with some accompanying airframes that she can not discuss - (Northrop has the NGB contract in case you didnt know... this is not common information)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
top work all - well done to dan and bios , both the aircraft have been located , and sadly not being used as a test bed for the bomber.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

A star and a gasp.

Nice pic and cool find, Detective Tanna.

That's a pretty clear shot even for GoogleEarth. Got the coords?

Duh, never mind, it's Virtual Globe.

Neat.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well, I am certainly no aeroplane buff, but I can appreciate a grand looking (and obviously well designed craft) when I see one!

Some of the images remind me of the aeroplanes in the Clint Eastwood film set at the height of the Cold War, where Clint's character has to get into Soviet Russia, and steal their most advanced fighter jet - as I am sure you have guessed, I have forgotten the name of the film... But from the side, and front the images of this plane defintiely remind me of the one in the film.

Amazing though, to think that these things would ordinarily have been scrapped and forgotten, but because a few individuals care enough, we can preserve and admire the wonders built by previous generations...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The movie's called Firefox!

There's a 23 parked in a yard in NM, which has been on Google Earth for a long time now. Which one is this?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoogans

The RCS mock up I am led to believe. However, after reading what Bios posted in his above comment.... damn I am excited.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Finally ATS is alive again.
Good work guys

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bios
One of them is at Tonopah according the my wife Intelgurl. Alojng with some accompanying airframes that she can not discuss - (Northrop has the NGB contract in case you didnt know... this is not common information)

Umm one issue with that Bios. PAV-1 is @ Wright Pat museum for restoration and PAV-2 is located out side of the Northrop facility what airframe is at Tonopah?

Also nice to see Bios and Dan get credit for a good amount of work I did as well

jokes
I do have to agree that this hunt so far has been a great change of pace from the crawl that the forum has been through as of late. Great work all lets keep it up.

Also Dan can you confirm that you got an email from Northrop stating that PAV-2 is still located at their facilities. (maybe post a small section of the email up here?)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Found a link with the story here:
geimint.blogspot.com...

Approximately 50 kilometers northeast of the RATSCAT RCS range lies a storage area for target aircraft serving a nearby weapons range. As seen in the image above from November of 2006, one of the items appears to be a YF-23 prototype. It can be said with complete certainty that the object is not one of the two flying prototypes. At the time the image was captured, AV-1 was in the restoration hangar at the USAF Museum. AV-2 was located in Hawthorne, California at the Northrop plant. The object in question is not a previously undocumented third prototype, but rather the full-scale RCS test article.

Very neat stuff but with 2 years gone by the site marked is worth a revisit.

**After going and looking at the site on google it appears to still be there. Anyways of knowing when the image was took?

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I have an old flight sim pre-dating this aircrafts existance, that is also called "ATF", and the design of the jet in that sim is strikingly similar to this!

If I can get an old PC up and running, I'll get it going and shall take photos of the screen. The game was written around 1994 IIRC (it was for DOS).

This project has been around for a long time....

The chance of a game developer coming up with that before the real thing appears I think is astronomical. They must have known something.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well got an email back from the Wright Pat Museum. I'll post it here.

Thank you for contacting the National Museum of the United States Air
Force. Northrop YF-23A 87-0800 was acquired by the museum in May 1996.
The aircraft is currently being restored for anticipated future exhibit.

Brett Stolle
Curator
NMUSAF/MUA
Research Division

So from that email it wold lead me to believe that they never had 800 taken away at anytime by Northrop. Does this match up with the story so far? From what I had heard both airframes had disappeared for some time during the early 00s.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
I have an old flight sim pre-dating this aircrafts existance, that is also called "ATF", and the design of the jet in that sim is strikingly similar to this!

If I can get an old PC up and running, I'll get it going and shall take photos of the screen. The game was written around 1994 IIRC (it was for DOS).
[edit on 24-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

Thanks for posting.
Now to just clear things up the Advance Tactical Fighter (ATF) program was started in 1981 when it was decided that a replacement for the F-15 needed to be started and found as they where expecting a long lead time in development. The actual request for proposal RFP was issued in 86 and a 50 months long test phase was started between Lockheed and Northrop. This finished in 1991 with the Lockheed bid of the 22 beating out the 23 from Northrop.

Now after that history lesson
here is the low down. With sketches and concepts released to the public through out the development phase it no surprise that the gaming industry was able to put a plane in a game that was similar to the yf-23.

Also to be clear are you could be talking about any of these games
en.wikipedia.org...(video_game)
pc.ign.com...
www.gamespot.com...

If you have any further questions just send me a PM so as to not derail the thread. I'd be more then glad to get you any answers I can find.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
At one point in time an f-23 was sitting in the desert out at White Sands Missile Range, and you can still see it on google earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join