It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXPOSE: Exposing Bush's historic abuse of power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

EXPOSE: Exposing Bush's historic abuse of power

www.salon.com

Salon has uncovered new evidence of post-9/11 spying on Americans. Obtained documents point to a potential investigation of the White House that could rival Watergate.

The last several years have brought a parade of dark revelations about the George W. Bush administration, from the manipulation of intelligence to torture to extrajudicial spying inside the United States. But there are growing indications that these known abuses of power may only be the tip of the iceberg.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This article also links to Radar article from last May that points out that approximately 8 million Americans are under NSA/CIA observation. This story is from an exclusive investigation and well, well, worth the time of anyone who cares about the erosion of our civil rights and that we increasingly moving towards/living in a 'police state'.

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Really? No one has anything to say about this?
Am in the wrong Forum? If so, MODS will you move me? Because one would think this is one of the rare occasions when the Libertarians and Liberals could be outraged AND working together.

This is a day we've all been waiting for, when the some members of the Senate are actually thinking about opening a couple of the barrels of worms and taking a look around. We should at least be disucussing ways to put pressure on them to keep it up -- and maybe even support them with research. I know there are plenty of you out there who have data that would be helpful. So come on!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What would you like for us to do? Pick up our pitch forks and go after congress and the president? A large amount of Americans are Medicating themselves to cope with the fake reality we are in... There is no winning any of this. I imagine you and I are probably both 1 of them 8 million americans... Im not really astonished and I have nothing to hide. I love my country and what it stands for. I dislike how its being run but hey what can I do. They have the control and im a loyal peasant....

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
We coule send letters/emails of pressure support to Pelosi et al who are finally looking into this. We could make plans to help round out any research a fellow ATS'er may have and send it on to the Civil Liberty Unions who met with the various Senatorial Aides and kick started this process.

I am sure there are folks on here with some serious research and info that could be of use. It is my opinion that there are a lot of smart people on these boards who undervalue the 'homework' they do when preseting their threads.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I have no doubt that a man and a group of men or really a group of humans (im not sexist
) Have the ability to change the course of the future and make history something of great... however. The government has set so much fear into the heats of civilians that if a civil upcry were to occur they would declare martial law and kill all of those who stand up for the truth. I personally would like to volunteer to go to mars. Get away from all of these apes that I call fellow humans.

You can get everyone to organize a group to do much good... BUT how are you going to do that sir?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
What would you like for us to do? Pick up our pitch forks and go after congress and the president? A large amount of Americans are Medicating themselves to cope with the fake reality we are in... There is no winning any of this. I imagine you and I are probably both 1 of them 8 million americans... Im not really astonished and I have nothing to hide. I love my country and what it stands for. I dislike how its being run but hey what can I do. They have the control and im a loyal peasant....

It´s attitudes like this that ALLOW George W. to get away with murder.
It´s attitudes like this that undermine the very fabric of what democracy should be. True patriots will take a stand for the principles a country was built on and not lay down for a beating. Sorry if I offend you, but your post offended me on many levels.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

You don't have to be afraid, I'm not talking about civil disobedience but the dissemination of information, which is what we do here. Gather info, share it, inspire others to learn more, who in turn share it back. I'm simply suggesting, in this instance, that we step out of the walled garden and figure out what research resources we have that can be of use.

That and letters to Senate members. If you think that is going to land you in prison, then I don't why you support 'your' country, cause that's not mine... yet.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What I am seeing here is the fact that the US government will always target citizens who have some kind of relationship to the particular state they happen to be bullying at the time.

If we go after Iran, it will be Iranian Americans who are most closely monitored, if we go after Venezuela, it will be almost any Latino of South American descent (they are equal opportunity oppressors). And so on, and so on.

This project to massively increase the 'monitoring' of our own citizens, strikingly, seems to have surfaced at the same time that Mr. Bush Sr. was at the CIA, then the white house for 12 years, and now his son for 8 more. I suspect that if anyone were to be able to truly speak to this 'trend' and 'effort' former President Bush would be the man.

Great fodder for the NWO and police state conspiracies that are out there.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hmmm... I think with this we have moved beyond fodder for NWO and Police State conspirators and are now talking about open public debate and disclosure of the dozens of illegal surveillance projects that have been used on US citizens in masse.

And I think it is CRTICAL that we share this article with people, engage in debate and make this an issue the MSM cannot ignore to not lose this momentum. Again, this is a unifying issue it spans political division no one wants this. Left or Right...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You do know that Bush and Cheney killed Paul Wellstone don't you? If they can pull that off... what hope does the average citizen have, especially when the GOP Nazi voters are still supporting their Furher rather then admitting they were wrong.

If a liberal had pulled this crap... they would have had them locked up in Gitmo by now. Our problem is not only Bush... but his supporters who blindly follow him.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

I'm more afraid of the Liberal Nazi voters.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Wow, Rose honey, look at your signature... I mean talk about cognitive dissonance.

Edit to add: I will say it is interesting the way this thread is shaking out. For all of the bluster, bravado and frustration I always see on ATS with everyone bemoaning about not knowing what can they do to make a difference. If they could only have some guidance they'd be all lined up and ready to fight, if onyl they knew how, blah blah.

I am making a few simple, and pretty sure they're still legal, suggestions here, write and research -- which is what we are all doing on ATS-- and everybody's running scared. This is ...wow... just surprising....

[edit on 23-7-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to deltaboy...

That's because you a part of the problem.

If I were you... I'd be worried too!

reply to thewayiseeit...

LOL... your right about the sig... I better remove that now that I know just how bad and criminal this whole last 8 years have been.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

So much for my theory that Libertarians and Liberals can unite over something.

DeltaBoy Said: I'm more afraid of the Liberal Nazi voters.

Dude, WTF is wrong with you?! I now you made a smiley face and all, but do you want to be spied on 24/7 by the government and lied to about it? Do you like that the laws now technically state you can be whisked off the street and held indefinitely w/o being charged with any crime?

I mean COME ON! What part of what is being discussed here can in ANY WAY support a left/right argument?
Edit: for typo

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Alright. You got my attention.

You have identified a problem. You have some pretty good suggestions on how to contribute to a solution.

Where do I sign up and what specifically do you suggest I should be doing.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I'm more afraid of the Liberal Nazi voters.

What's even more frightening than them are those obedient, good, little Germans across the nation who will happily stand by as their rights are trampled on for no good reason and sit back and say "Good on you Fuhrer."

You think one of the most under-represented political movements in the US is actually more of a threat to your freedom than the maniacal, demi-dictator in power right now who sees nothing wrong with sneaking behind the public's back and breaking the constitution?
"It's just a god damnned piece of paper" I recall Bush said, is that how you see it too?

Sigh, no wonder America is in the shape it's in.
Bush could torch your next door neighbour's house and you'd probably laugh.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I think this poll www.msnbc.msn.com... speaks quite clearly what we want. Over 700k votes for impeachment. What more do they want?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
I think this poll www.msnbc.msn.com... speaks quite clearly what we want. Over 700k votes for impeachment. What more do they want?

What's even scarier is that 4.6% who agree that he did nothing wrong

I wonder, where have these been in the last 8 years? What have they been doing?

Sitting in the dark with a blindfold listening to FOX news?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Write/Call to your state Senators and encourage them to start a "Church Committee-like" comission that is being discussed in the article. Write/Call Pelosi and Conyers' offices staing that you support them founding an investigation into the domestic surveillance of US citizens going back to Reagan.

If you have expertise and research about 'black' surveillance programs, etc. contact the ACLU or another civil liberties group and share it with them as they are the ones spearheading the formtaion of this commitee.

If anyone here has that kind of research and feels they need help putting it into a cogent presentaion and needs help, SHOUT OUT and see how many hands will join in.

join