It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kerry's Tar Baby reference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
www.breitbart.tv...

John Kerrys racist comment.

"I think John [McCain] is trying to throw that big tar baby out there. You want to lose, you don't want to win. Of course Barack Obama wants America to be successful."

The NAACP are going to be all over this one.

Nevermind, Kerry is a Democrat, so it was just an innocent mistake.

Maybe Jessie Jackson will give John Kerry a good scolding....wait that won't happen either, since his use of the N-word he can't criticise anyone for a long time.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't even know what a tar baby is, but it dosen't sound good... These skull and bones men all seem to be a few cards short of a bad hand.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
I don't even know what a tar baby is, but it dosen't sound good... These skull and bones men all seem to be a few cards short of a bad hand.

I'd direct the interested to the following wiki entry: en.wikipedia.org...

Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar, and I wish folks wouldn't seek subliminal racism in every reference. What's next...Johnny Appleseed as a gay icon?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Thanks for that

From your link:

Tar-Baby was a doll made of tar and turpentine, used to entrap Br'er Rabbit in the second of the Uncle Remus stories. The more that Br'er Rabbit fought the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he became. In contemporary usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional contact. The only way to solve such a situation is by separation.

bold:mine

I also found that there is already a reference posted in the link to Sen Kerry's comments above. That was quick.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

We went all through the meaning thing when Tony Snow said it a couple years ago. Re-reading that thread was a hoot. Those were the good old days in the beginning of what I like to call the "ATS Race Wars".
Good Times.

But I'll say the same thing about Kerry as I did about Tony Snow.

From this thread

People say things and others take offense. It happens in life. Even when the speaker does not intend it to be offensive. We ALL hear things throughout our days that are offensive to us. Women hear things that offend them. Black people hear things that offend them. Fat people hear things that offend them. Latinos hear things that offend them. Muslims, Christians, Arabs, Chinese, anorexics, Jews, white men, dog owners, hippies... we all hear other people say things that we find offensive.

How you deal with it is however you deal with it. We ALL deal with being offended whether or not offense was meant! And in this case, I don't think it was.

Yeah, I"m quoting myself. Wanna make a big deal about it?

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Reply to Benevolent Heretic:

Touche! Great memory recall there!

Totally forgot about Tony Snow's reference. You got me there!

I do remember a little more "hubbub" about Snow's reference than what Kerry is getting though. But at the time Snow was the President's Press Secretary, as opposed to Kerry being the Junior Senator from Massachutes.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Oh, you better believe there was more "hubbub"!
It was FUN!

I wasn't trying to get you or call you on anything. My point was that I feel the same about it no matter who said it.
If it was innocent, then it's not a racial slur. Words have more than one meaning sometimes.

Cracker - White Slur or Crunchy Edible?

new topics

top topics

join