It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Joint congressional inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is thread is more about finding some info than anything. In my "George W. Bush Out of Office Countdown" calendar, today it says, "Congress publishes a report on 9/11, but information is omitted for reasons of national security."
So far, I have found this dated July 24, 2003 and was wondering if that is the correct document. If so, does anybody have more information on what was imitted and if that information has ever been declassified/leaked/released?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hi PplVSNWO,

Yes, that is the relevant report. I'll give a bit of information below.

By the way, I will shortly be posting on ATS information about various documents and reports (including the Joint Inquiry report) in a long introductory article relating to 9/11, along the lines of my "Free UFO Researcher Starter Pack".

The Congressional report into 9/11 was released to the public in July 2003 (although it had been filed with the House in December 2002).

There is a Wikipedia entry in relation to that report, however that entry is extremely limited and contains several basic factual errors.

The official title of the report is the "Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001". It is also known by its Senate and House Report numbers : i.e. S. Rept. 107-351 or H. Rept. 107-792

While it is available at the website you posted, it is also available on numerous other websites. I would recommend giving a reference to the official website of GPO Access, a service of the Government Printing Office. The report can be found on GPO Access at:
URL: www.gpoaccess.gov...

At that link, you can download the full 832-page document as one file, or can download smaller sections of the report.

As for the redactions, these have been covered in various discussion threads and a few documentaries (e.g. Fahrenheit 9/11).

For a summary of media discussion of the redactions, see (for example) this link, which includes the following:

As Fahrenheit 9/11 noted, President George W. Bush did refuse to declassify a 28-page section of a nearly 900-page report by the Senate and House intelligence committees into intelligence failures surrounding the September 11, 2001 attacks. This section is entitled "Finding, Discussion and Narrative Regarding Certain Sensitive National Security Matters," and, based on a small portion that was not redacted, deals with "specific potential sources of foreign support for the September 11 hijackers."

Many criticized Bush's decision as efforts to protect Saudi Arabia. Senator Bob Graham (D-Florida) said on July 24, 2003 (statement on-line here) that the redactions were "absurd" and were efforts by the Bush administration "to continue to shield make-believe allies who are supporting, either directly or indirectly, terrorists who want to do Americans harm."

What was in that 28-page section?

According to press accounts, this section does discuss possible Saudi financing of the 9/11 hijackers and notes that Saudi officials may have given money to charitable organizations that, in turn, gave the money to al-Qaeda. The Joint Inquiry noted that it did not make any conclusions about such information and instead was referring the material to the FBI and the CIA for further inquiry.

..."

President Bush commented on the redactions in a White House Press Release:

Q Mr. President, thank you. You met yesterday with the Saudi Foreign Minister, who wants the administration to declassify these 27 or 28 pages about his government in this report on 9/11. Many members of Congress, including several Republicans, say they see nothing, or at least most of the materials, in their view, could be made public. Can you tell us, is there any compromise in sight on this, and could you at least summarize the material in that classified document? Is there, as some members of Congress say, material that you could read and have an incriminating view of the Saudi government when it comes to 9/11?

THE PRESIDENT: John, the Foreign Minister did come and speak to me. And I told him this: I said, we have an ongoing investigation about what may or may not have taken place prior to September the 11th. And therefore, it is important for us to hold this information close so that those who are being investigated aren't alerted.

I also told him, in the document, that if we were to reveal the content of the document, 29-pages of a near 900-page report, it would reveal sources and methods. By that, I mean it would show people how we collect information and on whom we're collecting information, which, in my judgment, and in the judgment of senior law enforcement officials in my administration, would be harmful on the war against terror.

I just described to you that there is a threat to the United States. And I also said, we're doing a better job of sharing intelligence and collecting data so we're able to find -- able to anticipate. And what we really don't want to do, it doesn't make sense to me -- seem like to me is to reveal those sources and methods.

Now, at some point in time, as we make progress on the investigation, and as a threat to our national security diminishes, perhaps we can put out the document. But in my judgment, now is not the time to do so.

And I made that clear to him. And I will be glad -- I'm making it clear to members of Congress. I want to remind you that -- sure, some have spoken out, but others have agreed with my position, like the Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. So there's a different point of view. My point of view, however, since I'm in charge of fighting the war on terror is that we won't reveal sources and methods that will compromise our efforts to succeed.

All the best,

Isaac

new topics

join