It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who made eating pork and swine flesh lawful for Christians?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Some where in the bible (if someone can come up with the scipture put it down its in the old testiment. it talk of a disciple of God going up into the moutain and a dish of food came down from heaven with all sorts of meat. The disciple didnt want to eat to be unclean. And a bell rang three times. and a voice said that what ever God has created shall not be called unclean.

New testiemtn laws says that its not what we put in our month that hurts the but what we say and do that codemns us.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Religiously OFFENSIVE! DO not Read If Your a Drone, a Hardcore Devout Whatever, Or you have Your grandma from the Old Country behind you, This Will be taken Harsh to many, But Im just Using My Free Speech

If You eat ANYTHING! Your eating Bywaste from other animals.

Havent thought of that one yet have you? Things dont grow without Fertile soil, How does soil become Fertile? lol The decaying of Bio waste, Which is Dead animals, Waste from animals, Waste from Everything else makes it way down the sappling of your favorite fruit or veggie, Not to mention if You eat meat now a days, you might not wanna go check out where your meat is being processed, You'll prolly eat cardboard for the rest of your days. An even that has Filth in it.

I swear these Redundant sayings of Moses and Jesus or EVen Dare I say, GOD are Down right Filth.

I mean If our Waste Makes Plants grow. Then Why would he say not to eat Swine? Plus from what I understand Pigs arent as dirty as You think, Their Pretty clean animals. Unless You Lick the Skin of a pig after it just had a mud bath, But then again a cow after giving birth to a caff is pretty filthy too, so Im pretty safe to say all your other animals are Filthy.

We Live, sleep, and Eat In Filth From what the Bible says, Im sorry But If I wanted that kind of dribble thats been messed up an retorted thruout the days, I'll play a game with My kids... Maybe Telephone? We live on earth that is dirty, Dirt is one of the only reasons we can stay on this planet. An Guess what dirt is made of! LOL

Heres where I lost contact with the Christian religion.
Where do animals go when they Die? Oh what Not heaven? Too good heaven is for all the other animals who helped mankind live many many many many many Centuries on this planet thru the death of themselves or the fur off their back. Yeah Once I found that out, I realized How DUped I was.

Pork Grinds anyone, Chops Ala King? , Hotdogs? BACON!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Chris Rock said it best, in those days you could die from it. Nowadays its clean. nuff said.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I thought the exact thing when I read the Thread title.

I don't know bout's you guys, but swine is divine. I couldn't fathome Sunday breakfast without a few crispy pieces of bacon.

My GOD loves pork related products.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
as some of you have wisely said, it all comes down to common sense, first, one must be aware of the historical moment, and the advance in now "common technologies"

in the old testament, in leviticus, deuteronomy and numbers et al, were meant to be a rough guide to health and issues common in THOSE times.
as it has been said pork is a meat that spoils very quickly, those people didn't cook their meats properly, thus many died intoxicated by spoiled meat, same as shellfish, which is also forbidden by the same reasons, they spoiled quickly!!
they didn't have refrigerators back then, science, or the advances and understandings of the world were things that only the RULING castes had, and they kept that knowledge for themselves, as a tool for control, people were expected to OBEY without questioning, the law of g_d was meant to be accepted without explanation.

3 Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing.

These are the beasts which ye shall eat: the ox, the sheep, and the goat,
5 The hart, and the roebuck, and the fallow deer, and the wild goat, and the pygarg, and the wild ox, and the chamois.

6 And every beast that parteth the hoof, and cleaveth the cleft into two claws, and cheweth the cud among the beasts, that ye shall eat.

7 Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you.

8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:

10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

11 Of all clean birds ye shall eat.

12 But these are they of which ye shall not eat: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,

13 And the glede, and the kite, and the vulture after his kind,

14 And every raven after his kind,

15 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,

16 The little owl, and the great owl, and the swan,

17 And the pelican, and the gier eagle, and the cormorant,

18 And the stork, and the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

19 And every creeping thing that flieth is unclean unto you: they shall not be eaten.

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

etc...

www.carm.org...

There are many things like that in the bible, I'm sure you know what i'm talking about, so a question to the !true" xtians, when your loved ones have their period, do you keep away from them for a month? do you not touch them until they become "pure" again?

do you also avoid getting in the shadow of a boat because the devil lives there?
in that case you might as well be Jews NOT Xtians, as they believe in the old testament as law, amongst other books..

Strangely enough, i was told by a Rabbi, that those books were meant as a guide only, that times had changed and that common sense had to be applied , that the scripture was not meant to be taken literally, go figure!
on another train of thought, you must also believe that marijuana must be legal because it bears seeds right? and god "said" that all plants that bear seeds are gifts from him to us, how thoughtful!

[edit on 23-7-2008 by TheOneEyedProphet]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Jesus/G-d was questioned by the Jews many times about many old teachings that He seemed to go against. As we know, Jesus/G-d told them that basically they quote scripture but dont understand they underlying meanings. And He never would answer them. He would just give them questions instead, tripping them up in their own blindness. As far as the old Hebrew laws go, Jesus said there are 2 most important commandements: love G-d with all your heart, body and soul, and love your neighbors as you love yourself. these are the only rules that matter. if you follow these, it basically combines all 10 into 2. everything else is frivolous and does not really matter.
Jesus is G-d incarnate on Earth. He can change whatever He likes. Remember the Holy Trinity that makes up G-d. Father+Son+Holy Spirit = 1 and only G-d.
Muslims believe Catholics worship 3 gods. not true. Only 1 G-d.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trance Optic
If You eat ANYTHING! Your eating Bywaste from other animals.

And that proves how inaccurate the bible is. What are religious people saying know? That even god didn't know the "circle of life"? No. The bible was written by man, with many contradictions, edits, and exclusion of certain texts over the years. There's a lot of science (if you can call it that) in the bible which is wrong.

I did not become an atheist because I was sick of religions (which I am), it's because I stopped believing in a god or deity. I had no reason to believe.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
By the Law of Moses there is more than just Pork that is unclean. No fish with out scales can be eaten so no Catfish, clams lobster, crab etc you should look at the whole law not just parts of it.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
officially i a catholic. however i grew up and understood that there us no god as religion pictures it. if there is so called god it obviously is not intelligent being that plays with us like with sims. we are god imo. we create and we destroy. however if you still want to be governed so to speak then closes thing to god would be creation of our universe itself. that burst into existence. universe itself could be called that god, cause it obviously provided us with our bodies and place to live. so back to the topic, who made it lawful to eat pork? its easy. god for not being there. i should point out that god is as real as everyone of us make it real so for fellow religious ppl it surely exists in your reality, but not in mine.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofangels_17
The Law that God gave to Moses prohibited the eating of unclean meat like swine flesh/pork.

Jesus and his disciples did not eat unclean meat since they follow the Law of Moses.

The Muslims also do not eat unclean meat since it was prohibited by God in the Holy Qur'an.

I will quote some passages in The Old Testament and in Jesus' Gospel and the Holy Qur'an forbidding the eating of pork meat.

There is no use quoting from the Old Testament - certainly not from a Christian perspective - since the New Testament is an "upgrade" of the OT (sub legem), which is made "obsolete" by Christ's teachings (sub gratia).

In direct reply to your subject line question - these words from the Master himself explain it:

"It is not what goes into the mouth that makes a person unclean. It is what comes out of the mouth that makes a person unclean."

Matthew 15:11
International Standard Version (©2008)

For the record, I do not eat flesh from any living being, and haven't for more than 20 years now. And my decision was made exclusively on moral or ethical grounds.

I also don't think Christ himself ate flesh.
His words are not to be understood as an invitation to eat flesh but rather - and they are very clear on that - as an admonition that there is nothing "unclean" outside a person's heart and conscience.

Salaam / shalom to you, too.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Be thankful that we have the luxury of debating these rather trivial topics and ask yourselves if you and your family are starving and all there is to eat is a canned ham-would you starve your children and yourselves to remain "clean"?

Please.

That time may come, and and laws made up so desert nomads wouldn't get trichinosis will cease to apply, as I believe the already do, but that is beside the point.

If this is the kind of thing required to have a connection with my creator, then you know what? I'll do without, thanks.

Since I do not believe this to be the case I am free to make choices and am willing to take responsibility for those choices without some Sunday school tyrant of a "god" dictating my every move. I am not an atheist by any means, but the way people approach faith seems so childish-and leads down the path to destruction. When will we grow up?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It was made lawful when the 'Bacon Sandwich' was discovered ........ simple.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofangels_17

Valhall, Nicely put. You have free will thanks be to God, to eat anything you want. But to say that God didn't forbid anything is not true, a certain tree was forbidden to our first parents, but Satan deceived them into eating from it. Peace!

That wasn't actually a tree with fruit on it
it's a metaphore

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I am sick of hearing from all these judaizers. I am a Christian, not a Jew. I follow Christ and am not bound by the laws of Moses. I was born a Gentile and still am. Paul scolded Peter for the same thing many of you are preaching here. Must I be circumsized to be a Christian? By no means. Must I observe the Sabbath? Only if I'm Jewish. By following the example set forth in the N.T. we see that the early church met on the first day of the week. The apostles weren't able to meet on the Sabbath because they still observed it. It is possible to be both a Jew and a Christian. Being a Christian does not mean I must convert to judaism first.

And to the guy that said because animals don't go to heaven he lost his faith, what would say about animals that go to hell? Would that be unfair? By your reasoning absolutely necessary. Who says they don't by the way? The bible was brought together your spiritual health, not to teach you about Fluffy's spiritual journey

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I had a muslim friend that challenged my thoughts of this. I think he said that the quran said that the pig is unclean for the parasite that lives inside of it. I forget which salmonella type disease you get from eating "unclean" pork, but i digress. I was raised in a christian family, and my biggest dispute with the faith is having closed eyes.

I guess I should have read all three pages of this, but it all started to look the same.

I personally have stopped eating pork, partly in reason of the experiment on youtube with pork and coca-cola. BUT, I still have fun.

The other thing my friend said that astonished me was, "Jesus said not eat pork, why do you eat pork?" My only response was, "I dunno." It strikes me odd that the church reverses the rule. Why don't we listen to what Jesus said? I like to treat the gospels as 4 different men and their stories following the religious leader of that time. Their Moses. Their Muhammed. Their L. Ron Hubbard. I'm getting off track

I have an idea that the rule of not eating pork is a piece of advice, that HEY! this meat isn't good for you! Neither is beef, chicken, blah .. blah .. blah. Who's to say that people who eat a lot of pork are not obese or unhealthy compared to someone that eats the same amount of beef/buffalo/chicken/goat/lamb/whatever?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
www.islamicmedicine.org...

"Prohibition of the flesh of swine (pork) :

The Moslem is submissive to Allah’s commands even if the underlying wisdom is not yet revealed."

There is no scientific references or examples given in the link, with the medical dude admitting there's no real logic for it in the qu'ran, it just seems like anti-western propaganda

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The dietary restrictions on the old testament were there to give guidance on how to survive in the desert.

When Peter and Paul spread the Good News to more urban and civilized areas and the Gentiles became Christians too, their customs ans habits were accepted. In Acts of the Apostles we are told we are free from the dietary restrictions. Why aren't women wearing veils? Why are they no animal sacrifices being offered at the temple mount in Jerusalem? Why don't we cut off a thiefs hand or stone an adulterer too?...you pick and choose which laws you keep and those you don't.

Jesus said He gave us a new law and if we accept it and follow it everything else will fall into place...Love the Lord your God with your whole mind, heart and soul and Love you Neighbor as yourself. If you criticize what your neighbor is eating and tell them they are not following the law, you have already failed.

The jews have the law still, because it is their pathway to God, Christians have scripture and holy communion as our way to God.

[edit on 7/23/2008 by Missing Blue Sky]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
God made it OK for Christians to eat pigs, by making them taste so damn good.

With that said, I can't stand pork products, personally.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Missingbluesky,

I'm not criticizing my neighbor here. I follow Jesus' examples and true teachings. My only concern here is what if it's not Jesus who made eating pork lawful but some disciples who came after him and attributed it to Jesus?

Because it is clear from Jesus' teachings that he still considered some meat unclean.

Truly I say to you, that on the day of judgment many shall say to God: "Lord, we have preached and taught by your Law." Against them even the stones shall cry out, saying: "When you preached to others, with your own tongue you condemned yourselves, O workers of iniquity." "As God lives," said Jesus, "he who knows the truth and works the contrary shall be punished with such grievous penalty that Satan shall almost have compassion on him. Tell me, now has our God given us the Law for knowing or for working? Truly I say to you, that all knowledge has for end that wisdom which works all it knows. "Tell me, if one were sitting at table and with his eyes beheld delicate meats, but with his hands should choose unclean things and eat those, would not he be mad?" "Yes, assuredly," said the disciples.

Then Jesus said: "O mad beyond all madmen are you, O man, that with your understanding know heaven, and with your hands choose earth; with your understanding know God, and with your affection desire the world; with your understanding know the delights of paradise, and with your works choose the miseries of hell. Brave soldier, that leaves the sword and carries the scabbard to fight! Now, know you not that he who walks by night desires light, not only to see the light, but rather to see the good road, in order that he may pass safely to the inn?

O miserable world, to be a thousand times despised and abhorred! since our God by his holy prophets has ever willed to grant it to know the way to go to his country and his rest: but you, wicked one, not only wiliest not to go, but, which is worse, have despised the light! True is the proverb of the camel, that it likes not clear water to drink, because it desires not to see its own ugly face. So does the ungodly who works ill; for he hates the light lest his evil works should be known. But he who receives wisdom, and not only works not well, but, which is worse, employs it for evil, is like to him who should use the gifts as instruments to slay the giver."

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
You guys can eat pork, I talked to the big guy and he says it's cool.

But seriously, this thread is a perfect example of how ridiculous organized religion is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join