Too slow to be a meteor

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hey. First post here. I stumbled onto ATS in my search to figure out what I saw last year. Here's a report.

Time: 2315-2345 (estimated)
Place: Southern Arkansas
Weather: Clear skies, approximately 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Date: 13 June 2007

This happened last year, and the more I think about it I am no longer convinced what I saw was a meteor.

I had just gotten home from work late one night and I was walking across the yard towards my house. I noticed that the ground was bathed in a blue-green light and I realized that whatever was causing the light was behind the foliage of the oak trees, casting moving shadows on the ground. Moving above the treetops at

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Arkansas is a hotbed of ufo activity. I have an online friend that lives there. It would not be surprising you saw a ufo.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This was in extreme south-central Arkansas, if that helps narrow it down. I only wish that I hadn't been staring slack-jawed like a caveman staring at his first campfire. I had my Palm Pilot in my pocket in sleep mode..and it has a camera. From the time I first saw it to the time where it disappeared; I would have had enough time to wake that thing up and snap a picture.

To be honest with you my initial thought was that I should immediately hit the deck. I thought it was a missile. Reason took over and I realized that missiles don't move that slowly.

The next day I tried to find it, but in that underbrush I could have walked within fifty feet of a school bus and not seen it. Since then I've literally tried to rule out a UFO, but I cannot. I've run the gamut of plausible theories, including meteors, ball lightning, everything. I simply cannot explain it.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Staring slack jaw. Yep. Been there done that. Common reaction to extraordinary event.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
If it was something burning up, the colours will provide a good piece of information in figuring out what it was made of, assuming someone cares to look up what materials produce a blue-green colour. Except for the speed, that's what it sounds like to me, so unless you misjudged the distance, I'm not sure what it was.

See if anyone else in the area saw it. Maybe they have some ideas as to what the heck it was.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
If it was farther away than I estimated, it would have had to have been huge in order to "appear" to move that slowly through the sky. I do admit that perhaps my depth perception could have been off, but I truly do not think that was the case. If I had to guess how big the object would have been if it had been sitting on the ground, I would gauge it to have been at least six or seven feet in diamete, using a standard chimney as a point of reference.

Please bear in mind that while this happened a year ago, the incident has remained fresh in my mind the entire time. I've spent awhile trying to figure out what it was.

ETA: I have asked around, but unfortunately nobody else saw it. This happened at midnight in rural Arkansas. I was probably the only person awake for miles.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by netwarrior]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I too had a close encounter of the third kind in sout central Arkansas. In the summer of 1999, my car was tracked by a 25-30 ft. round, white/luminous ufo that was traveling in the opposite direction just above the treeline and reversed 180 degrees when we passed it, tracking us at the precise speed we were driving. It was about three-four times the size of my car. It had multi-colored lights that rotated at the bottom and it made no sound. After about five minutes it quickly flew away at a sharp angle in the opposite direction. This was at night, on the highway stretch between Fordyce and Hampton, Arkansas. Very remote, no traffic.

I live in Arkansas. That's not the only experience I've had, and they've all occurred in Arkansas. There is indeed some strange things going on here, a "hotbed" if you will. You said what you saw "hovered." To my knowledge, meteors don't hover. Could it have been ball lightening? It sure sounds like a ufo. How big was it? I've heard of these small unmanned ufos they call drones I think, but it sounds like it was pretty big if it illuminated the yard.

Interesting experience. There is an Arkansas MUFON chapter, you should report it to them.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The general rule is that, if it's too slow to be a meteor, then it's probably a space-junk re-entry. Your description matches decaying space-junk to a T. The timing is right, the speed is right, and the color is typical of a space-junk re-entry.

I could not find any re-entries reported on the night you observed the event, but that is not unusual since there is lots of junk up there, and not everything gets reported. Here is the search I started if you wish to try and find it. Good luck!

new topics
top topics

join