It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knowing what you know, how do/would you raise a child?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm posting this question not only as a conspiracy theorist, but as a father of two small daughters growing up in a world that is getting worse every day.

I am asking the question not only to parents here, but to the single members without kids, even the ones who can't stand kids. I'm just after opinions from people who know how our world is run.

So my question. It's something that plays on my mind a lot as i want to be the best dad i can be to my two girls, however last night i watched "Zeitgiest" for the first time and it was a real eye opener, even for someone who has been on ATS for years.

Knowing what you know now about how the world is really run, would you raise your children any different if you could start over again?

Do you raise them any different now? Do you keep them oblivious to the things talked about on ATS, or do you teach them at thier level according what you believe they can handle?

As parents we obviously want to prepare our children for the years ahead of them, but it seems that many parents are doing the complete opposite. kids seem to be immersed in the garbage that spills from the tv more and more these days, and very little of it seems to be reality any more.

I try to keep my kids minds very open to all options. They are taught in a faith school, however they are also aware of other peoples feelings on religon, and other religons other than there own. Even people who do not believe at all.

When we are out and about, they now spend much more time looking around at thier surroundings, the details, the things that many people usualy miss whilst they are rushing around in the modern world.

At night, and day, i tell them to "look up" at the skies. We spend so little time looking above eye level, but the most beautiful sights and most interesting questions and knowledge comes from just raising your head a few inches.

I encourage them to respectfully question everything, whether that be scientific facts or myths and legends, if it causes debate or constructive conversation between us, i think thats great. It's amazing what you get to talk about just by sitting down at table with you family for a meal, instead of sitting them in front of Hannah Montanna with thier dinner on thier lap.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not talking about taking the fun out of kids lives. My girls do all the things that normal kids do, they are creative, fit, funny, and i don't freak them out with all of the subjects mentioned here, maybe just inject a little bit of factual info here and there.

I just wonder how much of an injustice we might be doing to our kids by keeping quiet about all of this as they grow up?

CX.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
It is like walking a tight rope. You don't want to freak out your kids by explaining all of the evil in the world, but you want to protect them as well.

It sounds like you are doing a good job. I am a father of a 2 1/2 year old little girl. Right now, she is pretty much on auto pilot, just being a kid. Of course I want nothing but the best for her and I am always concerned about her diet, TV intake, education, socialization...etc. But now isn't the time to start getting into the topics on here.

Like I said, there is a difference in making them aware and making them paranoid. The Pink Floyd song "Mother" comes to mind. "Mother will put all of her fears into you"..... Since I believe that perception really does dictate our reality to such a large degree, I don't want to pre-dispose her perception to my own negative view on things. That being said, I also want her aware enough to be safe and to not be exploited by anyone.

I would absolutely do it all over again, if given the choice. I had no idea how great being a father would be. The love of your child is something that has to be experienced to be fully understood. I am sure you understand what I am saying.

After all, the children really are the future. If we can mold our kids into great people, perhaps the future won't be as crappy as we think it will be.

*Edit*
I fogot to add that I fully intend to raise my children not to value the materialistic garbage that the media is shoving down their throats. I know it will be a difficult task, but my goal is to not raise shallow materialistic people.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Karlhungis]

join