It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hip-Hoppers Face Fines & Jail Time As Saggy Pants Are Outlawed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

NEWS: Hip-Hoppers Face Fines & Jail Time As Saggy Pants Are Outlawed

www.sohh.com

Many US cities have begun placing fines and penalties on individuals caught in public wearing saggy pants.

Village leaders in south Chicago’s suburb, Lynwood, have already approved an ordinance levying fines up to $25 against people showing at least three inches or more of their underwear, according to the Associated Press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Is this the sharia law?

What's going on, what happened to freedom?

Even if you think it's stupid to dress like this, it's their freedom to dress stupid.

It's much much worse than making earings in your lips illegal

This is really going out of hand.

www.sohh.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The title of your thread is somewhat misleading as it says saggy pants are outlawed, when in reality showing your underwear is whats illegal.

However in the second case presented (Flint) it cannot be construed as disorderly conduct as an excuse for racial profiling.

Heres the kicker however. Say they take it to court and the ACLU presents their case, and the police present statitics that 94% of people wearing saggy pants were found to be in possession of narcotics.

That remove the racial issue and make it legitimate probable cause to search. I doubt that it will come to that but its a scenario to keep in mind.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I wonder if a legal loophole could be devised where if the underwear extends the whole leg length it wouldn't legally be underwear.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
What if my underwear is actually shorts or a bathing suit? Heck, I walked into a gas station the other night with my Guiness boxers on, and the deputy who walked in after me didn't say anything.

Of course I thought I was gonna get tased for it, but all's well that ends well.

[edit on 7/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm sure I will catch some hell for this, but it is an honest observation.

It seems to me the people who tend to do this would want their pants up as high as possible. Drooping drawers make running from the cops a little difficult.

How the hell are you supposed to jump a fence when your pants are halfway down your ass?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What if someone is not wearing underwear? What if their outerwear is their underwear?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yet more freedoms being eroded away because of the cotton wool society we live in were you can't possibly be allowed to offend anyone.

All because of a few stuck up prudes who think they have perfect lives and everyone should conform to their views, there's no difference between these type of people and the Nazi's from the 40's only difference is these people are actually allowed to promote anti-freedom hate

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Does this go for superman as well. I mean come on. Next thing you know you aren't going to be allowed to wear transformers T-shirts on air planes.

oh wait.....

I forgot

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Have you ever seen an episode of cops? They try to run with their pants down all the time. Probably why they get caught.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What about superheros? They have been having wardrobe malfunctions for decades now and the comics are still legal...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

“I’ve been sagging since the fourth grade,” Flint resident Jayson Miguel told Newsweek. “I’ll be sagging when I’m old and gray.”

Sagging when I'm old and gray!
- priceless, perhaps a little nip and tuck would be in order, or maybe some botox injections or somethin.

I think I got a money making scheme - sell shorts with velcro or hooks or something so that the trousers never exceed the 3 inch boundary! some times my brilliance overwhelms even myself

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
come on people, this is your freedom

although this does not affect you, the next thing might... maybe no sandals outside or something............. who knows

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Isn't it true that this is the way you wear your pants if you're someone's beeotch? Quick and easy access, and all that. Didn't this originate in prison because of that?

And they want to advertise that? Or play that role?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The underware I don't personally mind all that much. It's the sight of that plumbers crack that really does me in. Besides Red Sovine is already rolling in his grave at the quality of the lyrics since he is the father of Rap. Seriously, Just funnin' you. We have way too much to worry about now than our rights to wear what we want. Personally I sleep fully dressed in preparation for when it hits the fan, although I change when I can.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Isn't it true that this is the way you wear your pants if you're someone's beeotch? Quick and easy access, and all that. Didn't this originate in prison because of that?

And they want to advertise that? Or play that role?

Close, it did originate in prison, but not for that reason. The reason was that the uniforms were not always tailored to fit every inmate. Most people ended up gettin bigger sizes then what they needed.(unless you were huge) And I guess when they got released back into society, they were comfortable wearing things that were hanging off their backsides. And really I can kind of see that some sag wouldnt be that bad. Would be way more comfortable for the "Man-Parts" than tight pants.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The most riduculous thing I saw was when the style first came in, and the white kids didn't quite get it right. They would pull their pants halfway off their ass, but the jeans weren't baggy-fit.

EDIT to add: I am old-school now, but still let mine ride low. But just to a comfortable level, that doesn't interfere with things like running. It's about comfort. If you have to walk around holding your pants up with one hand so they don't drop to your ankles, that's not comfortable.

[edit on 7/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You know what they should really outlaw??? Those stupid T-shirts that pretty much hang down to your toes.

It is really silly looking, like a bunch of kids wearing their giant fathers clothes.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

Doesn't make much sense to ride your pants so low as a fashion statement if you're just gonna cover it with a long shirt anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I dont personally care, I dont like seeing peoples underwear.
This needs to include thongs too though.

I mean those thongs going up like 5 inches are just nasty, id prefer to see some hotter underwear please!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join