It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wall Street Got Drunk": 'Banned' Bush Video Surfaces

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
economics isnt one of my strong points so sorry if this is a stupid question but why did the taxpayers have to bail out freddy and fannie and indymac ?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Oh, please. I'm annoyed that your so obviously blinded by the overt political spin presented by the huffington post, which is a known propaganda piece. If you are incapable of deducing what the huffingtonpost spin is out of the article, I have bolded below every piece of spin included:

An ABC-TV outlet in Houston, and now the Houston Chronicle, have posted a video taken at a political fundraiser for Pete Olson, featuring George W. Bush last week -- capturing some embarrassing/revealing moments after, he noted, he had asked cameras to be turned off. The first moments form the July 18 event find him speaking almost incoherently in admitting, for once, that his friends in big business had screwed up: "There's no question about it. Wall Street got drunk ---that's one of the reasons I asked you to turn off the TV cameras -- it got drunk and now it's got a hangover. The question is how long will it sober up and not try to do all these fancy financial instruments." Then, making light of the foreclosure crisis, he said: "And then we got a housing issue... not in Houston, and evidently not in Dallas, because Laura's over there trying to buy a house. [great laughter] I like Crawford but unfortunately after eight years of sacrifice, I am apparently no longer the decision maker." No one is saying how ABC's Miya Shay got the video or how it emerged.

The site motto is deny ignorance, including ignorance from political propaganda even if you want to believe it.

Of course, the biggest spin of all is attempting to make this look like news by pumping this up through propaganda outlets.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

Second, what exactly is wrong with this? Would anyone disagree Wall Street has had a little bit too much irrational exuberance before the correct correction? Other than that - OH MY GOD HES LOOKING FOR A HOUSE! HOW DARE HIM!

By the way, huffintonpost is a liberal Democrat National Committee political hack mouthpiece, not a news source. This is not alternative news, and they are not an alternative news source. They are a propaganda news source.

First of all, whats really depressing is the presidents choice of metaphor. Surely he is of enough intelligence to clearly state the symptoms in a more constructive fashion, concisely so as to reflect his own understanding of the situation.

Secondly, and more distressing, are the posted replies from readers of the story stating their unequivocal support for this blathering idiot.
People really are responsible for their own stupidity, we can't blame the leadership entirely.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by solo32_98]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by solo32_98

Rrriiiggghhhttt. So in other words, this isn't a news story at all but George Bush doesn't use the words you don't like so HOW DARE HIM SPEAK. What is most distressing is how this absolute obsession with Bush has impacted so many poor souls on ATS that they are now looking for stuff like this to get their bush-bash fix. There is plenty of stuff to criticize Bush on, this isn't one of those things.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

Suddenly I cant find the video anywhere. Saw it last night,now its gone from U-Tube. Anyone else know where to find it?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning. Am I missing something? Where's the news? Bush is being honest, is that the news?

Is it news just because he asked to be "off camera" and woo-hoo somebody got him on camera? If he was "off camera" and was talking about picking up a gallon of milk on his way home would that have been "newsworthy?" Him picking up milk and saying Wall Street got "drunk" are basically the same as far as news value go.

So, why is this news?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I see nothing whatsoever wrong with these comments he made. This is much ado about nothing. In fact, it reeks of sour grapes produced by people who's initial reaction to this was probably "WHAT? How DARE he make an insightfull, and somewhat witty, comment instead of saying something that makes him look like an ass so we can mock him! Who in the hell does George Bush think he is?" So they decided to throw it out there for the folks who are so far out there they'd find something to bitch about if Bush was video taped saying "good morning" to someone.

And BTW, the corporate "bailout" cost taxpayers $25 billion while the taxpayer stimulus package cost $170 billion. Considering the fact that the corporate bailout probably saved our economy from crashing, I think it was probably a prudent move. He just as easily could have made the statement "The American people got drunk during the 90's" if he'd been asked about the reason we "needed" the stimulus package, as much of the private debt that is currently crushing the average American was accumulated during the all you can drink credit happy hour that took place 10 years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I saw this on the news this morning. Am I missing something? Where's the news? Bush is being honest, is that the news?

Is it news just because he asked to be "off camera" and woo-hoo somebody got him on camera? If he was "off camera" and was talking about picking up a gallon of milk on his way home would that have been "newsworthy?" Him picking up milk and saying Wall Street got "drunk" are basically the same as far as news value go.

So, why is this news?

because its the first time in a long long time he has been honest, and finally someone caught it on camera. imo

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I am shocked by all of the attack-the-messenger posts. Time for plucky to yell: people are losing their homes! people are losing their lives in losing their homes! and this knee-nor is up there laughing it up!?! On video--mind you--the same video, irrefutable proof, that is apparently "contrived/out of context by members of the huffingtonpost". You naysayers are worse than the spinmeisters at Poop Valhalla!

www.contemporaryinsanity.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
A lot of heated discussion here on this video, but it certainly seems to me that it's one of more truthful things he's said. The true problem though, as with any "drunk", is that this drunk also has it's own "enabler", in the form of the Federal Reserve, and it's willingness to bail the drunk out when he should be hitting rock bottom, and changing his ways. Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Since when has the President of the United States been responsible for peoples inability to take out loans they can afford? Most people are NOT losing their homes, more than 95% of people were responsible and didn't buy something they could not afford.

He is referring to Wall Street - which is made up of those "rich" people that some on ATS love to hate, and hes making fun of them. The populists on here need to get their propaganda straight: either you hate and despise everyone who has more than you ("the elites") or you dont. But if your going to act like you do, don't freak when the President makes fun of them just because hes not doing something you can bash without being inconsistent.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I am no Bush fan at all...in fact I detest the man, but I see nothing wrong with what he said. Yes he has been denying the economic turn down, but what President in his right mind is going to come out and say to the nation that already has the jitters about the economic situation and say yep folks the economy is in the toilet.Seriously that would be an idiotic thing to do.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I actually thought that President Bush used a very good analogy, I see nothing wrong with this...and The Huffington Post is bias, and even if they do report news from other sources that doesn't mean anything, most ALL networks report news from the AP and Reuters, which more or less are the two main news sources outside of the BBC; but that doesn't mean they don't put their own spin on things with the headline and other things.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
First off, Bush is typically very poorly spoken with those comments, and you would think that someone with a drinking problem might choose a different analogy to use. But if by ‘fancy financial instruments’ he means derivatives, then I would have to agree with him for a very big change. 100 to 1 that he still goes along with the bailouts though.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It was Bush's own brother who cost the taxpayers 30 billion dollars in the Silverado Savings and Loan Scandal. He obviously feels bad about that.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

He got one big dose of Illuminati fever.

Will he turn in the 911 terrorist.

Lame duck besides everything else.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Indeed.
When I put your post with this...

Originally posted by groingrinder
It was Bush's own brother who cost the taxpayers 30 billion dollars in the Silverado Savings and Loan Scandal.

I am reminded once again that there are people who will always sniff out the loop holes or figure out ways to get their hands on tax payer money (privatization or knowing the govt will offer bail outs). Heck, they've been so emboldened as to encourage Congress to change the rules/deregulate for them, so they can shake pre-tax money from Americans. (Sen. Phil Gramm [R-Texas], Bush's friend "Kenny Boy" Lay, ex.)

Part of Bush's response, "The question is how long will it sober up and not try to do all these fancy financial instruments," is the laissez faire doctrine on steroids. No regulation, period. Let the "free market" handle itself, period.

The dismantling of regulations meant to thwart another Great Depression combined with the looting and fleecing of Americans could end up being akin to dismantling Hoover Dam, a Depression era project meant to help both America's unemployed and infrastructure. If the dam or the economy breaks, only those living the good life upstream will come out ok.

Bush ought to know better. An alcoholic who sobers up but doesn't have a program/guideline to follow will end up being drunk all over again. Bush is hoping the "drunk" will shape up and not resort to past behavior. This is like telling an alcoholic to look at the vomit he's spewed and don't get drunk again.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ha, ha! Wall Street got drunk! Good one! Got 700 billion dollars? "The wolf is at the door."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join