It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Bible To Be Made Whole Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I can't wait to view this ancient bible and all that's in it. We'll have to wait until Thursday July 24, 2008 but it will be interesting to say the least.

Handwritten in Greek more than 1,600 years ago -- it isn't exactly clear where -- the surviving 400 or so pages carry a version of the New Testament that has a few interesting differences from the Bible used by Christians today. The Gospel of Mark ends abruptly after Jesus' disciples discover his empty tomb, for example. Mark's last line has them leaving in fear. James Davila, a professor of early Jewish studies at St. Andrews University in Scotland, said the Codex also includes religious works foreign to the Roman Catholic and Protestant canons -- such as the "Epistle of Barnabas" and the "Shepherd of Hermas," a book packed with visions and parables.

Here's a website to the bible. Ancient Bible

So are we gonna see what the bible was really about and how the bible of today has been changed and misinterpreted? And will there be another bible before this one and so on. I still stand by the fact that the bible is a great book of stories that was written by man. And by it being written by man tells me that there is maybe some truth and a whole lot of false. Can I get some opinions from ATS members and lurkers out there.

[edit on 7/22/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Personally I'm thrilled by this. I love reading older versions of theological texts. Good Post.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

From the looks of the prototype web page it will be easy to read and can be translated to all languages. I will read it.

Screenshot of webpage prototype

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Hey there Solarskye,

This is fantastic, methinks some people are in for a few shocks. I shall definately be having a glance through it. After all, could be me who gets the shock !

Woody

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Solarskye,

That would be truly interesting.

But if they can find the oldest copy of Jesus' Gospel written in Aramaic and the Torah in Hebrew that will be greater still.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofangels_17

Solarskye,

That would be truly interesting.

But if they can find the oldest copy of Jesus' Gospel written in Aramaic and the Torah in Hebrew that will be greater still.

Peace!

I wonder what happened to those. Were they left by the wayside or destroyed
I know the Library of Alexandria held alot of knowledge but was destroyed by fire. I would of loved to see what they had in there.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think it's pretty interesting, we should always seek the truth. As I understand it there was an 8 year project already to translate the original text to modern English called "The New International Version". Certainly we should bump it side by side with the original to see if they did a good job.

Unfortunately, like other discoveries, I have doubts that any new believers would come as a result of it.

Originally posted by Solarskye
I still stand by the fact that the bible is a great book of stories that was written by man. And by it being written by man tells me that there is maybe some truth and a whole lot of false.

Ah, here's the proof. Not that I blame you, I didn't find God through the Bible (though many have), I had to find God then was directed to the Book.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hi dear,

Since most if not all of the modern Bible are a translation of the textual criticism text of Nestle-Aland 25-27 edition or the 4th edition of the United Bible Society and those Greek text are mainly based on the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus there is nothing new...

Codex sinaiticus prove to be defective in more than one way, that is why we need to assembly and verify all the Greek test and save the good and dump the scribe error.

All Greek ancient text have variant, today with the help of the textual criticism we have made a more sure text...

for more info on the Codex Sinaiticus:
www.bible-researcher.com...

Textual Criticism is Nothing New:

and from the same web site a expose on the end of mark:

Tank you

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

so it'll be in Greek? Photo copies?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Remember that the "whole bible" was not actually a book until the early Catholic churches brought together certain religious texts and agreed that these specific "books" would become a greater book that held information about the Christian religion. Some of the material is from the Jewish religious books; other material comes from letters written by Church fathers.

There were a lot of fights and excommunications over what should go in and what should be left out. Revelation was one that many didn't want in the book... and I'm still not sure why they put Psalm of David in there (it really is a rather smutty love poem.)

So.. this isn't the earliest copy of INDIVIDUAL books (chapters)... it's the earliest copy of the whole thing. I suspect there are differences between this earliest Bible AND the earliest copies of the individual books. Some of these differences are pretty well known to scholars, though they will probably surprise people who thought they knew the Bible and never actually read it and checked the translations.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think we should come par our bible to the older scrolls. This bible is just one of the first and our bible should not be change becuase of it. I think is bible would be a good compareison to the scroll and ours. But I think to get closer to God's word. We should look at the older scrolls.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Tarred and feathered...no wait.

Starred and flagged!

Thanks for this great link!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix1111

I think so? And you'll have the translation to read in different languages like English or Deutsch etc... Here's a screen shot of the web page.

Screenshot

Originally posted by Byrd
So.. this isn't the earliest copy of INDIVIDUAL books (chapters)... it's the earliest copy of the whole thing. I suspect there are differences between this earliest Bible AND the earliest copies of the individual books. Some of these differences are pretty well known to scholars, though they will probably surprise people who thought they knew the Bible and never actually read it and checked the translations.

You are so right Bird.
That's why I'm ready to read it when it's available. I know I might just learn something new from it. That's why I felt it important to let people know about the website. Thanks for your knowledgeable reply.

[edit on 7/23/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Then it should be interesting to see the differences from 1,600 years ago and now.

Tomorrow! Exciting.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Among other things, we shall find out his name really was Jebus!

Sorry. Really looking forward to this, be something great to beable to look through.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

So are we gonna see what the bible was really about and how the bible of today has been changed and misinterpreted? And will there be another bible before this one and so on.

First off you have an error. Right "Now" there isn't "this one" when refrencing the bible of these days. I believe there are 3 if you don't factor in diffrent inturpetations.

What you need to keep in mind is that "the bible" is NOT a book. The bible is a collection of books or papers. Long ago and far away a bunch of men who thought themselves fancy got to gether and said "this should stay and this should go" to make the bible the way it is now. Add to that several other men who thought themselves to be fancy changing the bible in several ways. It's the long line of mister fancy robes that should be into question.

Great topic however.

This project if true and useful can stand as a testimate to just how useful the internet is these days. Jesus had to walk to a temple and read in a libary while I can just click click click. You have to love that.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Looks like a busy day at the website:

www.codexsinaiticus.org...

Manuscript
Too many concurrent connections (> 100.000). The manuscript page is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later

[edit on 7/24/2008 by Matrix1111]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are actually much older versions of the texts contained in this version, and they are exactly the same as the current versions. There is even a copy of the gospel of Mark that predates this one by 200 years, and it is identical to our current version, so I wouldn't get sucked into believing this copy debunks the Bible.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'm guessing you'll find this interesting.

www.sinaiticus.com...

[edit on 24-7-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I can't wait to view this ancient bible and all that's in it. We'll have to wait until Thursday July 24, 2008 but it will be interesting to say the least.

Handwritten in Greek more than 1,600 years ago -- it isn't exactly clear where -- the surviving 400 or so pages carry a version of the New Testament that has a few interesting differences from the Bible used by Christians today. The Gospel of Mark ends abruptly after Jesus' disciples discover his empty tomb, for example. Mark's last line has them leaving in fear. James Davila, a professor of early Jewish studies at St. Andrews University in Scotland, said the Codex also includes religious works foreign to the Roman Catholic and Protestant canons -- such as the "Epistle of Barnabas" and the "Shepherd of Hermas," a book packed with visions and parables.

Here's a website to the bible. Ancient Bible

So are we gonna see what the bible was really about and how the bible of today has been changed and misinterpreted? And will there be another bible before this one and so on. I still stand by the fact that the bible is a great book of stories that was written by man. And by it being written by man tells me that there is maybe some truth and a whole lot of false. Can I get some opinions from ATS members and lurkers out there.

so your sayin bc it is written by man there is alot of false?

so by which life form do you need the bible written in so you can beleive it?

dog? camel? maybe a cat?

top topics

join