It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: U.S. woman charged with spying for Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
An American woman was arrested Thursday on charges that she acted as an Iraqi spy before and after the U.S. invasion of Iraq, accepting $10,000 for her work, prosecutors said Thursday.
Susan Lindauer, 41, was arrested in her hometown of Takoma Park, Maryland, and was to appear in court later in the day in Baltimore, authorities in New York said.

CNN.com

She was accused of conspiring to act as a spy for the Iraqi Intelligence Service and with engaging in prohibited financial transactions involving the Iraqi government under Saddam Hussein.

According to the indictment, she continued to correspond with the undercover agent until last month and followed the agent's instructions to leave packages on two occasions in August in "dead drop" operations.

Lindauer, who has not yet been assigned a defense lawyer, faces up to 10 years in prison on the most serious charge and five years on the lesser charge if she is convicted, prosecutors said.

Like most, in my mind I always think of spies as being men, loaner types mainly. I guess money really does affect people in many different ways. Only ten thousand dollars though, I would have thought that there would be more money involved.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Interesting she is claming to be an anti-war activist dedicated to getting weapons inspectors back into Iraq before the war.

Turns out she also worked for several congressmen as well as Foxnews.

Smells like the ol Patriot Act going after those against Bush??? Maybe...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
why do you blame the US necessarily?

You don't think that, gee, SADDAM HUSSEIN may have been sleazing around too???

And yes, some of the anti-war activists in the 1960's really WERE agents paid by the USSR. Documents have come out saying so.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Im not against taking out spies but...I still laugh at people trying to spy for iraq..I mean what the hell are they gonna learn??? that we have as many missels as they have soldiers lol....Did they find out that we could over run and control their country in less than a week??? 10,000 dollars.. yeah that sounds about right when any intelligence would offer you no useful information except that you can be takin out real fast.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why would someone spy for 10 Gs? Over a two year period, you could make more at a gas station. dont make sence to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Why would someone spy for 10 Gs? Over a two year period, you could make more at a gas station. dont make sence to me.

Maybe because she is mental? Look at her, I can't believe the news around here in Maryland and the Washington DC area. They would rather show information and this psychopath making comments about being antiwar then the 10 freaking bombings in Madrid.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

She worked for Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., in 1993 and Rep. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., in 1994. She joined the office of Sen. Carol Moseley Braun, D-Ill., as press secretary in 1996. In 2002, she worked for Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif.

The government said Lindauer returned in March 2002 from a trip to Iraq with $5,000 in cash received from Iraqis agents, breaking a law prohibiting transactions with a government that sponsors terrorism.

Lindauer's work allegedly continued through last month, when she maintained contact with an FBI agent posing as a Libyan intelligence service operative who wanted to support resistance groups in postwar Iraq.

The indictment said she met the agent last July in Baltimore, "and discussed the need for plans and foreign resources to support resistance groups operating within Iraq." Acting on the agent's orders, Lindauer left documents at a spot in Takoma Park last August, the indictment said.

And she did work for FNC, about 8 or 9 years ago.

It sounds less like a personal attack by Bush, and more like the Feds doing their (v)ing job. Besides, if he wanted to use the patriot act like this, there are much bigger fish he could fry.

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Crazyhorse]

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Crazyhorse]

new topics

top topics

join