It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the most common ammo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I searched for this topic but couldn't find anything. If it has been discussed before i apologize.....

First off I am pretty ignorant on the topic of rifles/shotgun/pistols, but I am trying to learn. I read tons of posts about weapons recommended in a SitX, I also watch about every show on History/miliatry channels about weaponry.

Most of these posts discuss the various pros and cons of certain weapon systems over another, such as M16 vs Ak47, etc. but there seems to be a staggering amount of ammunition sizes. I understand that each round has a specific job and may be more suited to a situation then another.

My question is in a SitX what size is the most easily found ammo? I have always wondered about this. Should you buy a gun based on the avaliabilty of the ammo in a SitX? I guess it would depend on what region you are living in?

Pistol - ?
Rifle - ?

Just curious, thanks

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Most common is not always the most effective. You can buy a box of .22LR shells for about $10.00 and get 1000 rounds. But try to bring down a sizeable animal or person with a .22. Not gonna work. I would stick to my trusty 12gauge shot gun with a variety of different shells. Buck shot for big game. 6 shot for defense and bird shot for small game. And if you really need to take something (someone) out in SITX, good old 12 gauge slugs. Plus if I were you, I would learn how to reload spent shells myself. It is not hard and will save you a ton of money as well.

Just google around until you find something you like. Or if you still have questions, ask a local hunter or someone at a local gun shop. Some of those guys really know their stuff.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
These are our standards: 9mm, 40, 45 for pistol. Rifle: 223, 5.56 (not the same as 223-but your weapon may chamber both), 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. Now, in my case I have 5.56, 45 and 9mm. Someone else must be carrying the same calibur as I am. If you bring a weapon to the table that is not within the common standard then someone else must be willing to aquire that same calibur or you cannot use it. You wouldn't want to just have a hammer or club that cost "X" dollars. Shotgun: 12ga.

In my area: 22LR, 9mm, 40, 45, 357, 223, 7.62x39, and 5.56 are the most caliburs.

We buy ammo as a group every month, we reload certain ammo. 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R are dirt cheap still- however 5.56 and 223 are expensive so we shop around... but do not buy 223 in a steel case for your AR15- it can damage your weapon.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

I beg to disagree with your comment concerning the 22lr.

For many, many years La Cosa Nostra and other assassins used the 22LR for offing enemies. The hollow point 22 ammo is very effective in ripping a brain to shreds as well as a heart.

My personal preference, since I have developed problems in my fingers, is the 38 air weight revolver , the 22mag automatic, and the 12 gauge shotgun.

As`was stated the 22 ammo is not expensive. The ammo for the 38 is even more with the buckshot for my 12 gauge being even more expensive.

I was fortunate enough to acquire rounds for my AR15 before the price went up last year.

I am a collector and have other guns but those I've mentioned are my favorite for personal defense.

There is a huge demand for all ammo and the price is steadily going up. My last order of a case of 12 buck shot was back ordered for 2 weeks.

As soul sister Janis Joplin used to sing, "Get it while you can", very aptly applies to procuring ammo at this time.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ive standardized on .22lr, 5.56, 9mm and 12gauge.
pretty standard stuff.
The key is to not have to scavenge for ammo.
buy it, seal it and spread it around.
keep some in the house some in an out building, a can or two at a friend or relatives house.

I like to keep my eggs in many baskets.

Don't forget extra magazines too!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
22LR and 12 guage are by far the most common round in the US if not the world.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

.22LR CCI Stingers are ~$5 for 50 rounds.
Can take down a deer with a head shot @25 yrds and maybe up to 50yrds....02c

I do like the .22 mag though...........

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This depends largely on where you are.
In the USA, I guess the most common calibres would be 9x19mm / .45 ACP for pistols, 5,56mmx45 and 7,62x51 for rifles and 12gauge for shotguns.

Here in Switzerland its pretty clear:
9x19mm for Pistol as it's the standard police/army/sport caliber and 5,56x45 for rifles as its the standard for sport, army and police as well. We also see 7,5x55 pretty often in the sports sector as this is an older army caliber and still in use by various veterans and sport shooters.

I dunno about other countries but I guess all NATO countries would be in the 9x19mm / 5,56x45 range.

Eastern bloc countries would have 7,62x39 and 5,45x39 as rifle calibres, but I don't know about pistol calibers.

I hope this helps.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Globally .22LR is the most common round.

Out here (Finland) 9mm Para is the pistol round.

.308Win and 7.62x54R are the most popular hunting calibers.

7.62x39 is used by military and reservists. (and some IPSC shooters like myself)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinktip

.22LR CCI Stingers are ~$5 for 50 rounds.
Can take down a deer with a head shot @25 yrds and maybe up to 50yrds....02c

That is downright inhumane to even take such a shot. Use the proper ammo for the proper target. A deer is not a tin can.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesterMan
Most common is not always the most effective. You can buy a box of .22LR shells for about $10.00 and get 1000 rounds.

A few years ago perhaps. no longer.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i'd say .22lr.
just ordered another brick yesterday - $23 per brick of American Eagle High Velocity 500 cartridges - stuff keeps going up

btw, i'm planning to pick up another Remington 870 Express (12 gauge) and i've spoken to several people lately who also stocking up on 12 gauge shotguns and ammo

[edit on 22-7-2008 by TypeSH2001]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

I wouldn't be worried about humane kills in a survival situation. Modern .22 high velocity ammo is more than adequate for whitetail deer at distances out to 50 yards with an accurate rifle with a brain pan shot. I've seen it done with .22 air rifles at 30 yards which had about half the power of a rimfire. A standard long bow has even less energy than some airguns and deer often run for a hundred yards or more with broadhead sticking through them. I've seen a corn-raiding deer taken with 22 LR pistol where the bullet when completely through the heart/lung/rib cage and out the other side. Wild boar will require a larger and more powerful round which would be the next most common medium sized game.

Probably the best all around rounds you can have would be the .357 Magnum and the .45 Colt in strong modern revolvers and lever guns. The .45 Colt loaded hot and heavy will take any game on the planet(under 100 yards) with a well placed shot. The .357 Magnum from a rifle will take any game in North America(again out to 100 yards).

These rounds are common throughout the Americas and can be reloaded with just about any powder you can name and still be very effective.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Nope still can. I just bough a box for target practice the other day. Total price was $10.60 after taxes. You just need to shop around a little. Wal-Mart believe it or not has some amazing ammo deals.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Most common ammo= 7.62 x 39

Why you ask? Simple, its the round fired by the most common, cheaply made "assault rifle" on the planet: The AK-47.

Tons and tons of the ammo can be found virtually anywhere.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

I would think that in SITX, the last thing you would want to do is track a deer for several hundred yards. Let alone risk a shot at 50 yards with such a small bullet. Too many factors to account for. The wind, temp, rain. All of these things can and do affect the flight path of bullets. You want something to stop a deer dead in his tracks. I have taken down loads of deer with my Mossberg 4x4 .270 winchester. They may take several steps but never make it past 5 yards. Of course this all depends on you shot as well. Head shots are just messy,(and not always the best target) but hit one in the neck or the heart and you will be surprised how quickly that animal will drop.

I also agree with Mainer, it is really inhumane to attempt to take down large game with such a shot. Chances are even if you hit it, it will merely just injure the animal. And leaving a blood trail will attrack predators, and scavengers. Now you have a bigger problem.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Correct, more AK ammo made and exported than any other caliber. 7.62x39 is more aqvailable than .22. Now in the past as to how much has been made. More .22 ammo has been produced than any other cartridge, but not in the world today as far as access world wide. Its so plentiful that conversion kits for AR-15 in 7.62X39 are being produced. I own a Rock River in that caliber and a conversion upper in 5.56! I'm all set when the BS hits the fan!

Zindo

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
To the OP:

Common is, wherever common IS.

If you are worried about a survival type situation, I would hedge my bets and have weapons that utilize the most “common” types of ammo, i.e. 9mm, .22, 7.62 and 12 ga..

Each type has it’s own particular function and worth. For example, a .22 is a great small-game round but a 12 gauge slug - not so much. A 9mm makes a great all-around sidearm, but not the best man stopper.

If you could only have/afford one type….hmmm , I’d probably vote for a good ol’ 12 shotgun. The reason being is that you can buy many different types of rounds, for different purposes, for the same gun: Small shot for small game, big shot for big game, slugs for really big nasty stuff.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesterMan

Nope still can. I just bough a box for target practice the other day. Total price was $10.60 after taxes. You just need to shop around a little. Wal-Mart believe it or not has some amazing ammo deals.

$10.60 for 1000 rounds? 500, yes, 1000 no.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well then sorry about your luck Mainer, you are getting screwed. As for me, I will continue to buy my ammo at 50% of the cost that you pay.

But any way who cares, when the SHTF, you can have my .22 and all the ammo that goes with it, I will leave with my 12gauge and my .40S&W. Anything more will just weigh me down.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join