It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
disable the language filter ?

I notice when you quote people who have had their language filtered with the # in the actual quote window it shows what they actually wrote so is there anyway to turn the filter off ?

I hate playing the guessing game with filters trying to figure what expletive someone has used and would rather see it as I do not fear words nor do I believe in censoring words from the english language simply because they used to have an offensive term but now because of todays society they are merely used to add emphasis to a point

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but part of the reason for the automatic filter is to make sure ATS complies with filters used by software that restricts access to certain websites (NetNanny type stuff) by minors. This is the same reason why discussion of drug related activity is not allowed. It is also against the T&Cs of the site to try and circumvent automatic filtering.

At the end of the day, does it really matter if we don't see expletives? Personally I think if you need to use them to emphasise the point, you probably don't have much of a point to begin with. And it keeps the quality of ATS content above that of other websites that do allow it.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Censors are brought up nearly ever year since I've been at ATS.

Abovetopsecret has members under 18 and the site has to maintain a decent environment for them i.e why sex, drugs and violence are not discussed either.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
Is there a way to....

disable the language filter ?

If memory serves, there most certainly is... ATS Store

... you should see one for "turning off" or "disabling" the censors.

Hope this helps.

[edit: to strike - memory got served]

[edit on 22-7-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I thought that feature was disabled a few years ago?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I just checked and it seems you're right WTR...

...previous comments stricken from the record. The jury will ignore the previous erroneous claims.

top topics

join