It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholars Plan To Reunite Ancient Bible--Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Scholars Plan To Reunite Ancient Bible--Online

www.examiner.com

LONDON (Map, News) - The oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, a 4th century version that had its Gospels and epistles spread across the world, is being made whole again - online.

The British Library says the full text of the Codex Sinaiticus will be available to Web users by next July, digitally reconnecting parts that are held in Britain, Russia, Germany and a monastery in Egypt's Sinai Desert.

A preview of the Codex, which also has some parts of the Old Testament, will hit the Web on Thursday - the Book of Psalms and the Gospel of Mark.

"Only a few people have ever had the opportunity to see more than a couple of pages of the (Codex)," said Scot McKendrick, the British Library's head of Western manuscripts. The Web site will give everyone access to a "unique treasure," he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This should prove to be very interesting. I would like to see the differences between the Codex and other versions of the Bible in common use. I wonder how it will affect our present readings.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I see this post is getting stars but no comments. Anyone who's interested, please post something so this news item will stay on the first page for awhile. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think we all know what's going to happen. The modern religious might start reading it, but when they start realizing how much it conflicts the current version of the bible, they'll toss it aside. Possibly declaring it to be "sent by the devil" or "a test of faith in the current text".

No-one will be willing to come to terms with just how awry their religious texts have gotten over the centuries... so this will be ignored almost as badly as evolution.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This makes me very happy. People will see how special interest plays a part in their religions, and thusly perverts its message.

They may also find themselves looking within for religion for the first time ever.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Can't remember my password ( lnelove )

I wonder hoe trust worthy this ancient Bible is. What are the details of this Bible and is it a legit claim suggested by the details in it's find or is it behind officials claiming it's authenticity?

top topics

join