It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irrational fear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
First off, this is probably in the wrong forum. I couldn't find the psychology forum for some inexplicable reason, so I put it here. So, to the heart of the matter:

I've been reading/watching a lot of horror fiction recently. "The Shining," H.P. Lovecraft books, and the like. I have, as I'm sure many others have, experienced an increased paranoia while reading or watching stuff like that, especially at night. There's no reasonable reason for these feelings, but I cannot stand to read Stephen King at night unless my door is locked, and most of my lights are on. Why do people feel paranoid when partaking of disconcerting entertainment, especially when it's dark outside?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Naturally, when people roamed yonder land, with a leaf over their loin, and a deer over the fire. Books were not a natural part of life. People's brains use a system called "Automatic association", google it or read "How the mind works" by Stephen Pinker for more info on that golden nugget.

The way automatic association works is, it creates the knowledge of an object, but rarely does it take into account where that came from. If you read about hundreds of corpses littering a hallway, your brain will just see hundreds of corpses littering a hallway subconsciously, the level of which depends on your level of imagination.

Now, when people see corpses, they think of danger, you're subconsciously registering, to what your subconscious mind is a VERY real danger, and feel very insecure/paranoid. Now that you know this, it is very unlikely you will start to feel uncomfortable while reading, so I hope this has helped, if there are any further problems, make sure to let me know I can try to help in further detail on a more personal level.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Dinnj]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinnj

Thanks Dinnj, that's the clearest I've ever heard it explained

join