It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do many Europeans overwhelmingly prefer Obama?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I believe Europe loves Obama because they hope to see the US fail.

And why would Europe want uf to fail???

Just a short couple of months ago they were thrilled at the prospect of our currency failing.

Sheesh. THey'd be in a deep yougurt if that happens, too.

They're already in the clutches of fascism

Not sure what you are talking about but Bush is certainly ahead as the Fuehrer of the US.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I would prefer everything that you mentioned. The items you listed obviously haven't made us safer, as we had 911 after spending decades bombing the middle east, and increasing our weapons caches. So yes, those things would make the world a safer place. I'd rather pay for someone to get hunged any day over paying for someone to murder an innocent human being.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cannonfodder
Can't speak for Europe, but here in Canuckistan (Canada for those of you that are humour impared), I like him for the following reasons:

1) He believes in multilateralism. He thinks that working with other nations is a good thing. Bush was a unilateralist and managed to alienate most other countries on earth.

2) Bush's neocon agenda is super far right on the political spectrum. Extremism is not well liked. Obama may be right wing on the world political spectrum, but at least he is not the cutting edge.

3) He appears intellegent and speaks charismatically. Truthfully, if the world has one superpower, you kind of want that person leading that country to appear reasonable and intellegent.

4) He offers hope instead of fear.

5) He is the opponent to GW Bush's party, who has plunged the world into an ideological war against Islam, destroyed the world economy, invaded Iraq without a legitamate reason while lying to UN with faked intellegence, jacked world oil prices due to instability the Iraqi war has created, has let his buddies make millions on the death of Iraqi civilians, has held the world back on the environmental progress by boycotting, vetoing, or simply disregarding every environmental agreement created in the last 8 years, condoned torture of enemy combatants abroad and in violation of the geneva convention, allowed the biggest world market (ie. the US middle class) to go broke and become homeless, put the US so far in debt that it will never again be able to participate in the world economy, created the department of homeland security which makes crossing the border into the US so miserable that I will likely never visit again, forsaken the US populace for corporate profit, and called the leader of my country over at an international summit by shouting, "Yo, Steve!"

6) He is multicultural, and most people can associate with him.

7) Rush Limbaugh doesn't like him.

8) He doesn't wear a lappel pin. We know who he is and what country he represents, and he is confident enough that he doesn't have to wear a $1.98 piece of junk jewlery fearing we'll think that he is the leader of Ethiopia or somewhere else.

9) He is from Hawaii, and Hawaii rocks.

Ok, really is only point 5. Few outside the US like Bush's policies, and he is the only viable antidote out there. Good luck fixing your problems, and try not to drag the rest of us down with you.

Thanks for the contribution CannonFodder!!

As our friends to the North, It's good to see what your opinions are too!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
And why would Europe want uf to fail???
As I said, they're already in the firm grip of fascism with all their oppressive laws against their citizenry. In the UK they can't own guns, they can't hunt, they have free speech zones, crime is on the rise, and before too long they probably won't be allowed to have pointy objects either.. Misery loves company.

Sheesh. THey'd be in a deep yougurt if that happens, too.
Just a couple of months ago we had dozens of UK members here just thrilled at the prospect of our country failing. They were too blinded by their envy of the US to realize it would also mean the fall of Europe as well! Our country is everything they despise, yet wish their's was.

Not sure what you are talking about but Bush is certainly ahead as the Fuehrer of the US.
I'd prefer 4 more years of Bush myself.. Better the Devil you know, than the one you don't. I'm not even sure if he's a natural born citizen to be honest.

Why Europeans are so interested in our Presidential election is beyond me. They can't vote in it, and frankly, I don't think too many Americans really care what they think anyhow.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

]Just a couple of months ago we had dozens of UK members here just thrilled at the prospect of our country failing. They were too blinded by their envy of the US to realize it would also mean the fall of Europe as well! Our country is everything they despise, yet wish their's was.

I'm confused.... are you in the UK or the US? When you say "our country" Which one are you speaking of?

I'm not trying to antagonize, I just got confused when I read that paragraph.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
I'm confused.... are you in the UK or the US? When you say "our country" Which one are you speaking of?

I'm not trying to antagonize, I just got confused when I read that paragraph.
I don't understand your confusion, but I'm in the US. I was referring to several UK members here on the ATS forums that seemed thrilled at the prospect of the US dollar potentially collapsing. Clear enough?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
seems to me obamas getting good coverage over here in england , even when i see the guy i think good on him, first black president and hes gonna make the black american community feel more at ease dunno what it is about the guy but hes got something about him that makes ya feel hes a good guy

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
They loved Clinton, actually they loved making fun of him.
They hate Bush because they know he is tough.
They love Obama because they know America will be weak once again.
Can you see the pattern here?

MY GOD WILL ALL U "EVERYONE FEARS" CRAPSTERS PLEASE STOP IT !
we DO fear bush, but we fear he will blow us all up over here.
he really is a dangerous man.

if we over here in Europe, can have a chink of light in our hope, that a good guy MIGHT JUST come into power, then please, let us savour this moment.

we dont hate the USA over here.
we just hate idiots and people who vote for idiots.

since bush was in power, the world is creaping ever closer to hell.
something has to give.

please, let it give !!!

[edit on 23/7/2008 by shauny]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
They loved Clinton, actually they loved making fun of him.
They hate Bush because they know he is tough.
They love Obama because they know America will be weak once again.
Can you see the pattern here?

Has Bush made America strong? Under his rule, the dollar has weakened, and the economy has gone to pot. He has invaded another country, and shown that the biggest, most expensive military in the world can't sucessfully occupy another nation, even spending 4 billion a day. How has has this made the US strong? How could Obama make the US any weaker?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Because he's an eloquent speaker and comes off as somewhat of a gentleman.

Amazingly, Europeans seem to respect those who carry themselves with respect.

How DARE they?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The War Powers Act of 1973 (Pub.L. 93-148), also referred to as the War Powers Resolution, is a resolution of the Congress of The United States of America that stated that the President of The United States of America can send troops into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States of America is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Act requires that the president notify Congress within 48 hours of committing troops to military action and forbids troops from remaining for more than 60 days without an authorization of force or a declaration of war.

Read it carefully and tell me who authorize the troops past 60 days.
Hint-wasn't Bush

Under the United States Constitution, war powers are divided and not equal. Congress has the power to declare war and raise and support the armed forces, and control the funding of the war (Article I, Section 8),

Read it carefully and tell me who is authorizing the spending of 4 billion a day.
Hint- not Bush

source for both

Some more liars of Saddam's weapon of mass destruction leading to Iraq war

“There is no doubt that … Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies.”
Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
– Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

“We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them.”
– Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

“We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country.”
– Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

“Iraq’s search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power.”
– Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

“We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction.”
– Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

“The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons…”
– Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

Funny how all of these people were saying the same thing as Bush.hmmmmmmmm

source

I am glad many people like Obama in Europe. I am sure there are many who like McCain too. I respect their opinion. I have nothing but goods things to say about their politicians because I have limited knowledge about what they represent. But when somebody like shauny states "we hate idiots and people who vote for idiots." my patriotism kicks in. If shauny has proof that everyone of my fellow Americans who voted for Bush, not once but twice, is an idiot, please provide it. Otherwise do some research and post things that you can prove.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

we DO fear bush, but we fear he will blow us all up over here.
he really is a dangerous man.

When was the last time an American blew himself up in Europe?

if we over here in Europe, can have a chink of light in our hope, that a good guy MIGHT JUST come into power, then please, let us savour this moment.

What makes you think Obama is a good guy?
He keeps throwing everyone that crosses him under the bus and has no accountability whatsoever.

since bush was in power, the world is creaping ever closer to hell.
something has to give.

please, let it give !!!

And Obama will push it over the edge because his puppet master is the same person that broke the Bank of England.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privy_Princess
Because he's an eloquent speaker and comes off as somewhat of a gentleman.

Amazingly, Europeans seem to respect those who carry themselves with respect.

How DARE they?
Then you guys would've loved Ted Bundy! Ted was all those things and more. He was a good-looking, well-educated, well-spoken man, that came from a respectable family.

Sadly, All these desirable traits combined, helped him to lure over 100+ women to their grisly deaths. What looks good, isn't always good for you..

[edit on 24-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
wow, there is so much anti obama venom in this forum. Do you guys actually expect to be taken seriously?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I thought to post here too since i'm Greek.

What i personally was and i'm still thinking is that first Bush has to get lost.Simple as that.I mean,the man has a thirst for blood,it's too obvious.

Other than that,I don't know why,Obama seemed just the right person to me.My thoughts were "Finally wars are going to be over.".Offcourse i don't mean in general since unfortunatelly we don't live in a perfect world but at least it seemed and still does that we wont keep seeing the US invading here and there.

I'd like to say a few things on what LLoyd45 said in a reply of his:

As I said, they're already in the firm grip of fascism with all their oppressive laws against their citizenry. In the UK they can't own guns, they can't hunt, they have free speech zones, crime is on the rise, and before too long they probably won't be allowed to have pointy objects either.. Misery loves company.

How can you say those things?Well,i don't know about the "free speech zones" in the UK but fascism in Europe??I mean....where??Really...
Because most citizens don't own guns?I don't.I never had an urge like that.Just because you have guns everyone should and want too?I don't,i like guns but to go and spend money for one?I have no reason to do so.
Even about hunting,ppl hunt here but if that was gonna get forbidden i'd actually be happy about it.Nobody hunts for living nowdays anyway.Most ppl hunt for the "fun" of it.If someone needs it to live then fine with me but other than that,it's just sad imho.

I think you said in a previous reply of yours that Europe wants America to collapse financially.Well,i'll be 100% honest with you (not that earlier i wasn't
).As long as i see the all these killings,well,offcourse i'll be happy if the US economy goes down but not because i hate americans or anything.I have friends from the US via internet and speciffically,with one of em we're friends for 6 years more or less.
I'd be happy coz simply the wars would end.
If the US simply will stop i have no reason to wish anything negative.Why in earth would i?!Because,we,europeans are reptilians maybe?? (lol)
I can't understand why some americans view us like enemies though someone in these forums said that it's Bush that alienated (< is that correct?
) most of the countries around the world.I don't know and i wouldn't know about that.I simply can't see the reason why americans see us either evil,hostile or reptilians (lmao).

Other than that,some people in other threads say that Obama will turn to be no good in various of ways.The thing is,how can anyone know?I mean,give him the chance first and then judge him.
Generally,the point isn't so much on who gets elected but the citizens around the world to be able (and smart) to change those who are "in charge" over and over again till they'll find the right one.
It's not that hard,sometimes it seems that the citizens don't have any real power just because we,the citizens,believe so and we keep sitting on our butts.We can do it as long as we're not lazy.

LLoyd45,i hope you wont missunderstand me.I'm not trying to be offensive or anything.

A big apology for those who read all this stuff.I always end up writing whole paragraphs.
I'll try to work on it.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the Contribution from overseas!

what you say about how we feel about our gov and the level of action (or lack thereof) that some put behind it is true.

This year is the first year I have become more politically active than bloggin and watching the election on TV.

My candidate has inspired me to get off my butt and do something, so now I go volunteer at the local meetings and have become part of the movement.

If everyone took just a bit more initiative and participated in their government, we would all feel a lot better about things I believe. It's the act of participation that really gives me respect to everyone on both sides this year.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Then you guys would've loved Ted Bundy! Ted was all those things and more. He was a good-looking, well-educated, well-spoken man, that came from a respectable family.

Sadly, All these desirable traits combined, helped him to lure over 100+ women to their grisly deaths. What looks good, isn't always good for you..
[edit on 24-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

Sorry Lloyd, I can't resist.

Ted Bundy vs. George W. Bush

Ted Bundy:
30 confessed murders (100+ possible)

George W. Bush:
Americans killed in 9/11, which could have been prevented if the president acted upon briefings given to him:
US soldiers killed in Iraq (source: icasualties.org...):
US soldiers killed in Afghanistan:
Citizens killed in Hurricane Katrina:
1,836 (lets be generous, and say only a quarter of those were killed due to insufficient response / levee underfunding).
Total americans killed:

I know there was a past post that said the president really can't declare war, though I doubt there is anyone that he pushed the idea and manipulated congress to do it. He is the leader. It is his fault.

Also, not that non-american lives are worth anything, here is a quick tally of this as well:
Other coalition forces killed in Iraq: 314
Other coalition forces killed in Afghanistan: 337
Iraqi Insurgents: 8,470
Iraqi Civilians: 43,000 - 100,000
Afghan Insurgents: ?
Afghan Civilians: 5,000

Total Friendly non-islamic non-americans: 651
Total non-american civilians: 48,000 - 105,000
Total non-american people who resisted invading americans: 10,000

Even if Ted Bundy killed 100, GW has killed 79 times more americans. I guess I'd have to agree with you Lloyd. What looks good, isn't always good for you...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

As I said, they're already in the firm grip of fascism with all their oppressive laws against their citizenry. In the UK they can't own guns, they can't hunt, they have free speech zones, crime is on the rise, and before too long they probably won't be allowed to have pointy objects either..

I see, you claim that they are fascist and then post this spaghetti of facts trying to support that nonsense, but look at what you wrote! Since when gun laws equaled fascism? Since when crime situation is linked to fascism? Sheesh, they do have good public healthcare in UK but that does not seem like oppression to me

Misery loves company.

If this is how you explain why Europe is so vicious and wants the downfall of the US, sorry -- I just find that "reasoning" totally stupid, erm, without merit.

Why Europeans are so interested in our Presidential election is beyond me.

Because the US has the potential to screw things up really bad for EVERYBODY, get it?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yep, it appears that this thread has really proved why Europe loves Obama.

And today when he gave his speech, it was even more appearent why this is so.

The mere fact that he opens his speech so reverently is just one of many reasons why he is welcomed abroad.

I come to Berlin as so many of my countrymen have come before. Tonight, I speak to you not as a candidate for President, but as a citizen - a proud citizen of the United States, and a fellow citizen of the world.

That and he's not trying to sneak shoulder rubs of other leaders.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join